Studio Viper - FINISHED!

Well, I’ve got some news that has made me EXTREMELY happy that I want to share. First off…I finished another model! (WOOWHOO!!! ) This itself is an event in my life because I have so little time. It’s the Studio Scale Viper MK1 from the original series. Its about 16” long, solid resin, and very cool I got this kit a couple years ago and finally had the time and guts to finish it. Pics are below…hope you like it, and I’d love some feedback. Currently it is without a stand…I’m finishing that now. It’s a nice wood stand with the Viper helmet emblem as well as a launch trolley stand. I wanted to do them both and then pick one to display it on.

One of the reasons I got motivated to do it (took me about 2 weeks to finish the first one) is I just made the largest model purchase of my life. J I bought the master patterns for this ship. I started out just kind of looking at them…but then as I learned about them I had to have them. You see the kit I have, (like most of the kits out there) showed up and was a major disappointment to its first owner. The nose was bent off at about 10% off center and warped. The side details were all but gone. It took a ton of time (not by me) to fix it to the state it’s in now. As I have researched I have realized it is because people bootlegged the original. The original film models were made out of foam…to be light and easy to load with explosives and fuel. There were very limited resin castings done of a couple of these, and my patterns I bought are the only ones I have tracked down to still be around and first generation. These patterns have a neat history. They were made of a filming model by Icons and then cleaned up and re-detailed to make the Icons Masterpiece prop. (which if any of you have and want to sell or would simply share pictures with me please PM me! ) They were cautious to not remove any inaccuracies that were in all the studio models because they wanted the Icons prop to be identical to the Vipers in the show. At the same time they fixed the damage that occurred because the original was foam. The end result is a beautiful set of patterns. Since then the patterns have been owned by 2 other artists who have worked to add detail to them and keep them up. Now they are mine. A little piece of history I like to think…I’m so excited and proud! I know it’s a tiny show that lasted just a bit in time…but this is as close as Ill probably get to it, and I’m beaming with the prospect! I also want to leave my mark on the masters so I’m adding details (separate) that will go in my kits. Initial details will include a complete set of decals with a “used” and new version. I’m also including a canopy frame along with the vacuum canopy (as shown on the kit I built). I’ve also got other projects in the works like new pilots, and other added details.

So…in the end I wanted to build the kit I had to help me be more ready to complete and build kits from the new master patterns that are on the way to me now. The new kits will be pressure cast, and completed in high quality resin. If you like this Viper I finished wait till you see the new kits from the new patterns…they will be unreal! :D

If anyone has any questions, thoughts, or wants more information about the new kits please email me at Jestefarean@comcast.net.

Thanks…and I hope you like the model I’ve finished and the patterns I bought as much as I do! :D

Here's some shots of my finished baby.

viperho1s.jpg

Wow, awesome job!!!

I can't quite remember what show the kit is from, but I like it.

Battlestar Gallatica perhaps? Looks a little Star Wars-ish.

Regardless, it looks very realistic and the weathering/damage is right on the mark.

Guest Bromgrev
Battlestar Gallatica perhaps?  Looks a little Star Wars-ish.

Hahaha :lol: ! Not that whole BG Ripped off Star Wars thing again - I remember the blood spilt over that back in '78 or '79. Aah, the memories ...

Love those masters, hope they see some action!

incredible looking kit, but pardon my ignorance, it has been along time since i have seen the show, in the pic there is a peice that looks like a double cockpit window but instead of clear, it is molded solid what is that for?

thanks

chris

thats what i thought it was, but he had it in the pics with the parts and it looked like it came with it as some sort of a peice.

MJ... Looks freeeakin' awesome! Please consider writing it up for SSM.com too. The weathering is excellent. By the way, I'm getting to be a big BSG fan. The new series really got me into it. I still love the old Cylon Raiders better than the new ones. Separately, I'm working through my Finemolds Slave 1 for the SSM Star Wars contest. I'll post pics soon.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Thanks all for all the wonderful feedback. It really means a lot to me. I worked really hard on it, and hearing people's feedback just makes it all worthwhile.

In regards to the double plug...that is the form for the canopy. The kit would just come with the vacuum formed canopy and the resin canopy frame (like shown on the completed kit I did) I like the canopy frame better, as it is easier to see the cockpit detail and is closer to the look of a studio model. (No glass so no glare! )

Any suggestions? Thanks ALL!

Really nice work, the only thing I notice, and maybe it was this way on the filming model, but the back end, from the section where the engines meet the intake sections, seems to droop, almost like they are not aligned with the rest of the forward body. Not a huge droop, but I noticed it the most on the pic looking into the back of the ship. I looked at the original filming viper pics at www.cloudster.com and the engines seem aligned straight but they dont show a back shot, so I don't know if it was on the master, but it just seemed like the sections should be aligned together more.

Really nice work, the only thing I notice, and maybe it was this way on the filming model, but the back end, from the section where the engines meet the intake sections, seems to droop, almost like they are not aligned with the rest of the forward body. Not a huge droop, but I noticed it the most on the pic looking into the back of the ship. I looked at the original filming viper pics at www.cloudster.com and the engines seem aligned straight but they dont show a back shot, so I don't know if it was on the master, but it just seemed like the sections should be aligned together more.

I think thats an optical illusion based on the angle of the pictures. The engines cut backwards and in, but there is no droop. All that said, the model I completed is full of flaws like that droop as are pretty much all the kits out there. Thats why I'm so excited about these patterns I am getting. They are the closest masters to the studio model as are out there. I think the kits that are made from the molds I make for these new masters should really be nice.

Again...thanks all for the feedback. Special thanks to LTSO for the advice on acrylic rods. Quick prefab of a base done. I want to do a nicer one then this...but I wanted to do one to see how it looked.

vbase1.jpg

couple extra shots (sorry...bad light. )

Base

Now...onto finishing a launch platform!

Thanks all again for the positive remarks. Anyone else who would be interested in castings from the new masters please feel free to email me for info.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...