Justice League Unlimited

I thought we'd discussed this before here, but I did a search and came up empty. Anyways, just wanted to know if any other fellow MWers saw last weekend's episode "The Doomsday Sanction". I was a little concerned initially about the new "Unlimited" JL at first (hello? Hawk and Dove get an episode?) But last weeks setup for President Luthor and Supes duking it out with Doomsday and Bats flying to Supes' rescue (again), was just great TV period. I know this show is targeted to kids, but I thought it was just awesome storytelling and amazingly done in just 30 minutes! Anybody else catch it?

I saw it, yes. The writers have been steadily working up to an outright conflict between the US Government and the Justice League over the course of Justice League: Unlimited. From the discovery of that massive cannon in one of the Watchtowers, to the salvage of that nano-warmachine, Doomsday's retrieval, the clone of Supergirl.. It's going to be ugly when it goes down, by the look of it.

Thought it was very interesting how Batman started to question what they're doing, too. You'd think even he would have to admit Doomsday is too dangerous to let free ANYWHERE, given his single-minded goal.

i also like this show alot along with the Teen Titans, yea the goverment versus the JLA will definetly be something. the episodes have gotten quite good from what i have seen. i hope we see more of Doomsday (though i am not sure now that he is in another dimension) i liked this saturdays episode it was a good battle between him and supes.

chris

:) anyone else notice hints of FLCL and gatchaman in the last episode of teen titans? I care not what anyone else says; that's one hellishly fun toon.

Also, in cyborg's recent episode: From the makers of Azrat and Methrion, now Synthos. :lol::lol:

I'm glad to see JL:U finding a definite direction now. The first few episodes, while entertaining, left me kind cold. It's building nicely though...

:) anyone else notice hints of FLCL and gatchaman in the last episode of teen titans? I care not what anyone else says; that's one hellishly fun toon.

Also, in cyborg's recent episode: From the makers of Azrat and Methrion, now Synthos. :lol::lol:

I'm glad to see JL:U finding a definite direction now. The first few episodes, while entertaining, left me kind cold. It's building nicely though...

i also notice stuff in the teen titans that remind me of other anime, in saturdays episode where beast boy got a job, when the container containing the alien leader first breaks off to show him, it looked just like the massive orb like container containing Akira when it broke apart, complete with massive tubes breaking off shooting steam everywhere from the movie Akira.

:)  anyone else notice hints of FLCL and gatchaman in the last episode of teen titans?  I care not what anyone else says; that's one hellishly fun toon.

Also, in cyborg's recent episode:  From the makers of Azrat and Methrion, now Synthos.    :lol:  :lol:

I'm glad to see JL:U finding a definite direction now.  The first few episodes, while entertaining, left me kind cold.  It's building nicely though...

i also notice stuff in the teen titans that remind me of other anime, in saturdays episode where beast boy got a job, when the container containing the alien leader first breaks off to show him, it looked just like the massive orb like container containing Akira when it broke apart, complete with massive tubes breaking off shooting steam everywhere from the movie Akira.

That reminds me... When the NewTofu refered to itself as "The source"... Anyone else pick up on what that is from? I'm sure it's spoofing something i've seen. Can't recall what though... :huh:

i cannot recall either, maybe there was no spoof, he was infact the source of the aliens they all spawned from him. but if it was a spoof reference i am not sure where it came from. i cannot wait to see what they have planned for Slade now that he has returned, hopefully much more on him and Ravens powers. also does anyone know if there are any official release DVDs yet? i have just seen Bootlegs

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

i also like the Batman and Superman cartoons, so they were just released on dvd huh? jeesh it will take years for the Teen Titans to hit DVD, by the way did anyone here like Batman Beyond? DC has had some very good cartoons over the years much better i think than the Marvel cartoons

Thanks, I'll have to take a peek there. I always miss JLU.

This series just keeps getting better and better. Doomsday appearing was great to see I feel. I really hope this leads up to another Superman vs. Doomsday fight. Maybe work in the Death and Rebirth of Superman storyline. That would be just great, especially since they have all those super heroes in the JL now. That way they can finally introduce Superboy, Steel will take up the S and cape, etc. Its always good to see Batman and Superman conflict as well. I really hope they build on this feeling and change of opinion Batman is having.

It never fails-I have been watching JL and JLU almost religiously for the past three years, and last week I had a family event to attend and forgot to set both the VCR and the TiVO. I knew from the closing credits in recent episodes that Doomsday would be showing up sooner or later. I wish I paid more attention to my DC fanboy friends whenever they talked about the comics when we were younger. I'd like to know what the deal is with that one character who looked like a Black Zelda Reubenstein that referred to Bats as "Rich Boy" in the commercial superhreo team episode. I'm ashamed I don't remember tha name of it off the top of my head, but I know some one out there will refresh my memory...

It never fails-I have been watching JL and JLU almost religiously for the past three years, and last week I had a family event to attend and forgot to set both the VCR and the TiVO. I knew from the closing credits in recent episodes that Doomsday would be showing up sooner or later. I wish I paid more attention to my DC fanboy friends whenever they talked about the comics when we were younger. I'd like to know what the deal is with that one character who looked like a Black Zelda Reubenstein that referred to Bats as "Rich Boy" in the commercial superhreo team episode. I'm ashamed I don't remember tha name of it off the top of my head, but I know some one out there will refresh my memory...

The African American woman in question would be Amanda Waller. She has been a major behind-the-scenes player in the DC universe for about 20 years in relation to the intelligence field.

Bio of the TAS Amander Waller

Bio of the comic version of Amanda Waller

Is it me or is there a "tad bit" of sexual tension between Batman and Amanda Waller? I mean Bats did see her in the buff. In the comics she did play tonsil hockey with Lex Luthor. Hmmmmmmmm....... :p

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I think that there was definitely tension, but I think it was more of the "who's the alpha male/female here" kind. The real sexual tension is between Bruce and Diana which should be interesting to see played out this season since it seems like Bruce has become less enamored with the entire concept of the league. I'm not a big reader of comics these days, but wasn't there a JL storyline where Bruce systematically took out members of the league?

Interesting. If anyone would be able to do that, then it actually would be Batman I think. Though I never heard that before, but that's not saying much since I'm not really a comic reader(no stores near me).

Edited by Effect

I think that there was definitely tension, but I think it was more of the "who's the alpha male/female here" kind. The real sexual tension is between Bruce and Diana which should be interesting to see played out this season since it seems like Bruce has become less enamored with the entire concept of the league. I'm not a big reader of comics these days, but wasn't there a JL storyline where Bruce systematically took out members of the league?

In that storyline, Ra's Al Ghul stole Batman's files on the members of the Justice League. These files showed ways of defeating the League in very torturous ways. Batman created the files in case the League ever would go renegade against the world. Ra's created traps from these files and the members voted to expell Batman from the League.

I think that there was definitely tension, but I think it was more of the "who's the alpha male/female here" kind.  The real sexual tension is between Bruce and Diana which should be interesting to see played out this season since it seems like Bruce has become less enamored with the entire concept of the league.  I'm not a big reader of comics these days, but wasn't there a JL storyline where Bruce systematically took out members of the league?

In that storyline, Ra's Al Ghul stole Batman's files on the members of the Justice League. These files showed ways of defeating the League in very torturous ways. Batman created the files in case the League ever would go renegade against the world. Ra's created traps from these files and the members voted to expell Batman from the League.

That sounds like Bruce all right. The nasty question is... What would happen if BRUCE went renegade?

You could argue that as the only human member of the league he could be stopped the easiest, but given how resourceful he is and just how many contingency plans he has...

something tells me that even if he is only human that he would put up a hell of a fight, :p i can see half of the JL being called in to stop him and he would not go easy.

chris

I think we all know Bruce ( in all incarnations) is paranoid enough and prepared enough that he could probably take down most of the league in a night before the rest caught on. What I'd really like to see is Paul Dini's take on the Batman/Superman battle from the Dark Knight Returns. Actually, TV tome had some upcoming episode guides and apparently Damascus is *semi spoiler*

:ph34r:

going to recruit and send out the Suicide Squad against the League. I always thought those guys were too underpowered to actually take out the JLs "big guns".

Now that would be something to see. There is no telling how many they would have to call to stop him. Also I wonder what that would do to some of the JL members if they still couldn't bring him down and they have super powers while he doesn't. :)

I suspect that he could take out atleast half the league over the course of several nights. Lets face it, Batman would NOT let anyone get word back over what was going on. Once they found out it WAS him the rest of the league would likely be in a panic over Batman not only wtfpwning half the league without so much as a superpower to his name, but the fact he undoubtedly did it in an overly brutal, calculated method.. He's also undoubtedly target the original 6 first, to help damage the chain of command and further spread fear and panic.

Given his level of paranoia, as previously noted, he'd undoubtedly have contingency plans for how to take down the big guns and make sure they stayed down. For the lessers.. well, lets face it: who needs a special plan to kill the lessers like Booster Gold? :lol: With the amount of effort he's put into plans for taking down Superman alone, imagine the dirt he's got on everyone else.. After all, he's not getting any nicer with age, as the time travel episode showed. <_< You know something's wrong when Batman is having to play GOODCOP with his older self.. :ph34r:

Now that would be something to see. There is no telling how many they would have to call to stop him. Also I wonder what that would do to some of the JL members if they still couldn't bring him down and they have super powers while he doesn't. :)

I suspect that he could take out atleast half the league over the course of several nights. Lets face it, Batman would NOT let anyone get word back over what was going on. Once they found out it WAS him the rest of the league would likely be in a panic over Batman not only wtfpwning half the league without so much as a superpower to his name, but the fact he undoubtedly did it in an overly brutal, calculated method.. He's also undoubtedly target the original 6 first, to help damage the chain of command and further spread fear and panic.

Given his level of paranoia, as previously noted, he'd undoubtedly have contingency plans for how to take down the big guns and make sure they stayed down. For the lessers.. well, lets face it: who needs a special plan to kill the lessers like Booster Gold? :lol: With the amount of effort he's put into plans for taking down Superman alone, imagine the dirt he's got on everyone else.. After all, he's not getting any nicer with age, as the time travel episode showed. <_< You know something's wrong when Batman is having to play GOODCOP with his older self.. :ph34r:

Batman is bad@$$. Nuff said. :p

And now we are back to reruns.  They always do this, you get to a great episode then load up the reruns..

Yeah, that's a bit of a pisser. <_< I was getting all jazzed up for a run of good episodes and we get a rerun. At least it was the Booster Gold episode which was mildly amusing. The next episode was supposed to be "Double Date" with Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Huntress (I think) and some other dude who probably has never had screen time before....

And now we are back to reruns.  They always do this, you get to a great episode then load up the reruns..

Yeah, that's a bit of a pisser. <_< I was getting all jazzed up for a run of good episodes and we get a rerun. At least it was the Booster Gold episode which was mildly amusing. The next episode was supposed to be "Double Date" with Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Huntress (I think) and some other dude who probably has never had screen time before....

He's the Question; he's the League's resident "Fox Mulder". His real name is Vic Sage from Hub City and he wasn't a original DC comics character. The Question was from the old Charelton Comics line along with Captain Atom and Blue Beetle. They were acquired by DC when Charelton went belly up. The Question made his first appearance on the episode about Supergirl's assasin clone Galatea.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

• 3 months later...

Bored during the summer, I downloaded the Justice League eps. For some unknown reason to me, the Canucks get their eps like 2 week before us US people do. Anyways, the latest one is Flashpoint. Man is this show getting dark. This is even better than Batman: TAS. Every ep is such a cliffhanger.

Spoiler alert!

Just wondering if anyone has seen the eps since Doomsday Sanction. There's a war brewing between the League and the US gov. Project Cadmus has an army of super soldiers. My question is where the hell is Batman. How did Luthor get remote acess to the Watchtower, esp such a something as primary as the binary fusion cannon. We know that in Doomsday Sanction, Wayne was unhappy with Superman and starting to doubt the League. We all know how paranoid Wayne is and there's no way he didn't implement safety precautions to prevent remote take over of the tower. More the point then is, did Wayne help Luthor gain access? There's no way IMO Luthor could have hacked the Watchtower so easily, at least not with Batman the one responsible for security.

Vinh

"He's the Question;

Is he the guy with no face?"

The Question could also be inspired by a character from Dick Tracy, who had no "face". Actually, he was just hella-ugly so he put smooth cheese-cloth on his head, but that could be where originally he was from.

...you guys know who dick tracy is, right? He's kinda before MY time...

NewFuu...I've seen that episode twice, and still love it too death.