What to buy...(ANIME)

khyronic

It's been awhile since I've bought some anime dvds and I'm starting to get the itch. Any thoughts on good tv series and/or OVA's to check out? I'll mention some of what i have(it would take too long to list them all). Please, no comments on any on this list as again, these are ones I already have, so I'm I'm looking for suggestions outside of these. Thanks in advance.

I OWN

C Bebop, Slayers, Trigun, Silent Mobius, Outlaw Star, Kenshin, Evangelion, Lodoss War, Gasaraki, Bubblegum, Excel Saga, Nadesico, Princess Miyu, Escaflowne, Rayearth, Orphen and Escaflowne, to name some

The recent Berserk 'brick' collection is a steal. $56.99 at Best Buy for a 25 episodes very good show. For on going DVD shows, Samurai Champloo & Gungrave are my recent favorite. Samurai Champloo is very high quality stuff, just like Bebop with swords. Gungrave is slightly less high quality on the animation department, but the storytelling & characters are awesome.

I recommend if you enjoy...

Romance/comedy:

Kimagure Orange Road,

Maison Ikkoku,

Urusei Yatsura,

Video Girl Ai

Mahoromatic

Suspense/drama:

Patlabor tv, ova & movies

GunBuster ovas

Mononoke Hime movie

Laputa Castle in the Sky movie

Nausicaa movie

Pon Poko movie

Urusei Yatsura movies

Wicked City movie

Arislan ova series

Orguss 02 ova series

Escaflowne tv series

Mermaid Forest & Mermaid Scar ova series

Nadia tv series

GITS movies and tv series

Action:

Iczer-1 ovas (sci-fi, monsters, mecha)

Dangaioh ovas (sci-fi, mecha)

Macross Plus ovas & movie (mecha)

Mazinkaiser (mecha)

Guyver ovas (sci-fi, monsters)

Berserk series (demons & sword fighting)

Ninja Scroll movie (ninjitsu & sword fighting)

SF 2 movie (hand-to-hand)

Fist of the North Star (hand-to-hand)

Shamanic Princess ova (shojo-fighting)

City Hunter tv series (guns w/comedy)

Kenshin ovas (swords)

Just my two cents. :p

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I'd always suggest some of the classics, such as Urusei Yatsura, Lupin III, Harlock and The Slayers as well as a few new and very good series like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Last Exile (which is, IMHO, one of the best anime series of the new millenium).

(...) and Last Exile (which is, IMHO, one of the best anime series of the new millenium).

I second that :p

Also of interest:

- Gall Force: Eternal Story

- Armitage III

- all Gundam 0079/0080/0083 stuff

- Gasaraki

- Voices of a Distant Star

- The Cockpit

- Gunsmith Cats

- Blue Gender

- Silent Mobius

- Sol Bianca

- Record of Lodoss War

- Iria Zeiram

- Now and Then, Here and There

Try

Hanoko maid team either the original or the new remade ed. (Comedy)

Ikki Tousen (Fanservice fighter)

Fruits basket (Drama)

Please twins (Comedy)

Ghost in the shell movie 2 and SAC TV (Action)

Gundam Seed

Gundam Zeta

Initial D (Action)

Ruruni Kenshin (Fighter)

X Driver (Action)

Kiddy Grade (Action)

Ai Yori Aoshi 1&2 (Drama comedy)

Full Metal Panic (Action Comedy)

Full Metal Alchemist (Action Drama)

Grenadier (JAP)

Trigun (Action)

Love Hina (comedy)

Azumanga Dioh (comedy)

Anything by Myazaki (Great stuff)

Oh my goddess movie or OVA (Comedy)

Cowboy Bebop (Action)

Wolfs Rain (Action)

Outlaw star (Action)

Steel angel Kurumi (Comedy)

Are there other ways I can recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Because I like the series so much, I'm going to try to find those ways :)

Seriously, I do like the show and I can definitely recommend it. I also loved the first Ghost in the Shell film, though I'm dissappointed with the second feature. Regardless of whether you liked the films or not, GITS: SAC is very different and a more conventional storytelling style that you'll most likely enjoy it.

I can also recommend any Hayao Miyazaki films such as Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, and the like. They are fantastic films, albiet made for a little less mature audience (there are exceptions). If you enjoy an engrossing fantasy that's a little lighthearted, you'll love them.

I'd also recommend more of Mamuro Oshii's films, especially Patlabor and Patlabor 2 films. Both are fantastic examples of well written, deliberately paced crime thrillers in a sci-fi setting. They are easily among the best animated mecha films ever made.

I'd also recommend Akira and Grave of the Fireflies. It goes without saying that anyone getting into anime should see those films.

(...) and Last Exile (which is, IMHO, one of the best anime series of the new millenium).

I second that :p

.....I third that!!! :D

Say what you want or how you want, but this is a "beautiful" series on all fronts.

Edited by GRAND CANNON

I also would add:

Romance:

Ah! My Goddess OVAs

Kimagure Orange Road movies 1 & 2

Mecha:

Gundam Z & ZZ,

Gundam 3 movies,

Gundam 0080 OVAs

Gundam 0083 OVAs

Gundam Char's Counterattack movie

Full Metal Panic

Sci-Fi/Comedy:

Dirty Pair OVAs & movies,

Dirty Pair Flash OVAs,

Tenchi Muyo OVAs

Action/Edgy:

Kite

Vampire Hunter D original movie

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust movie

Perfect Blue movie (thriller)

Spriggen movie

High School Adventure:

Whisper of the Heart movie

Graduation OVA

End of Summer OVA (hentai)

ZeGuy OVA

Open the Door movie

Rayearth (shojo)

X 1999 (shojo)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Captain Herlock: The Legend Returns is out on DVD from Geneon. I find it to be my favourite new anime release in the past several years. Rin Taro once again shows why he is such a renowned director, Matsumoto's characters are timeless classics, the music is excellent, and the animation is top notch.

In addition, I second pretty much everything Keith suggested. Most Especially

The Night the Earth Stood Still: Giant Robo the moment it is available on DVD. This is by far my favourite OVA. Much more deserving of the label "Classic" than most of the popular shows to have come out in the past 10 years.

The Yamato movies should also be something to look out for, though I suspect you'd get much more enjoyment from them after seeing the actual television series first. Unfortunately, unless you find some fansubs or go the HK bootleg route, it is impossible to get the unedited show in english at this time.

I'd also cast another reccomendation for the two Patlabor movies directed by Oshii. I think they far exceed more popular feature films such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell in nearly every respect.

areaseven and Fortress Maximus are bang-on with their suggestions. I would highly reccommend Clamp's X, both the movie and the series. If you happen to find a copy of Tokyo Babylon, grab it because 1)it's a prequel to X and 2)it has been discontinued.

If you liked the AdVid Notes option found on the Excel Saga DVDs, check out Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, as it also has this feature.

It's been awhile since I've bought some anime dvds and I'm starting to get the itch. Any thoughts on good tv series and/or OVA's to check out? I'll mention some of what i have(it would take too long to list them all). Please, no comments on any on this list as again, these are ones I already have, so I'm I'm looking for suggestions outside of these. Thanks in advance.

I've said this before, and people who have watched it will agree, that Legend of Galactic Heroes is probably one of the best Japanese animes you can watch. Its not a mindless action oriented series (although the action is top notch) but its one of the most impressive series you can watch. I think its done by the same person who wrote the Legend of the Lodoss war (Yoshiki Tanaka), and its not adapted from a manga as many Japanese animes are, but full length novels.

Its a massive space opera, which tells the story of two empires at war.... full of engaging characters and likely one of the deepest plots out there. The battles pretty well look like texbook battles, using tactics derived from real battles. Its story is far superior to any Japanese or even American science fiction story (like babylon 5).

If you are looking for a non typical japanese anime, this is it. I'd suggest you look to download the first few episodes and check them out to see if you like it... and then if you do, buy the Hong Kong Boots (because it was never licenced in north america.)

Thanks for the replys. I have ALL THINGS MACROSS/ROBOTECH and a few others that have been mentioned that I did not originally.

I think I've seen that Dagger of Kumai, but I might get that one. Legend of Galactic Heroes sounds interesting too. I'm waiting for GITS SAC to finish before getting it and I'm hoping for a legit version of Macross Zero too.

I have Full Metal Panic. That was the last one I bought so I'm going to start watching it soon.

Yang....I didn't see a mention of your avatar source?  :o

There's a reason why I didn't mention them, nut now that I have seen that Nausicaa is coming out on DVD on 2/22, I can say with the greatest of confidence.....

BUY ALL THINGS GHIBLI!!!!!

Three Ghibli films coming to DVD this Tuesday. First time in their original format. Contentment is nigh- 'Nuff said!

Edited by Yang_Neumann

If you liked The New Generation/Mospeada, I would reccomend Rhea Gall Force and Gall Force: Earth Chapter. I would also reccomend the original Bubblegum Crisis OAVs and AD Police Files OAVs.

If you like hentai, End of Summer 1 & 2 were actually good (I never saw the 3rd one). Rei-Rei was also good, but more for the comedic value.