Gatchaman

areaseven

gatchacover.jpg

Gatchaman '94 ( ガッチャマン )

Tatsunoko/Nippon Columbia, 1994

Urban Vision, 1997, 2001

Directed by Hiroyuki Fukushima (Casshan: Robot Hunter, Bubblegum Crash!) and Akihiko Nishiyama (Serial Experiments Lain, Full Metal Panic!).

Not rated (Suggested 13-Up). Contains graphic violence and slight nudity.

In 1972, Tatsunoko Productions set new standards in Japanimation with Kagaku Ninjatai (Science Ninja Team) Gatchaman. Inspired by James Bond films and Thunderbirds, Gatchaman chronicled the adventures of five bird-costumed teenagers who used their ninjitsu skills and high-tech gadgetry against the evil organization known as Gallactor. Gatchaman spawned two sequels and became famous worldwide for two decades as Battle of the Planets and G-Force (while the sequels were released as the lesser-known Eagle Riders).

Twenty-two years later, Tatsunoko revisited its classic anime franchise and released an OAV remake with new designs and a fresh new soundtrack. The three-episode series, known to fans as Gatchaman '94, retold the team's debut ("Gatchaman vs. The Turtle King"), their encounter with another anti-Gallactor team ("Secret Red Impulse") and their final battle with Gallactor ("Final Count 0002").

Story: B-

While Gatchaman '94 does not necessarily require watching the original series, it does leave a lot of question marks on the plot. Aside from the tension between Ken and Joe, character development is very minimal. Not to mention that three episodes is way too short for this kind of series, even without comparing it to the original TV series' 107 episodes.

Animation: A-

Character designs by Yasuomi Umetsu (Kite, Mezzo Forte) and mecha designs by Kimitoshi Yamane (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne) give Gatchaman a more stylized look and sleek animation equal to Outlaw Star. My only complaint is that the 3D rendering of Sosai X (Gallactor's main overlord) does not blend well with the 2D animation.

Soundtrack: A-

Earth, Wind and Fire's Maurice White and Bill Meyers give Gatchaman a very catchy pop soundtrack, despite the overuse of the ending theme "Let's Fly." The OAV also uses some of Bob Sakuma's legendary music from the original TV series. As a bonus, a music video is included, featuring an updated version of "Gatchaman no Uta," as performed by Ichiro Mizuki (the Sinatra of anime music).

Sub vs. Dub

The Japanese version features Masaya Onosaka (Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Jadeite in Sailor Moon) as Ken (G-1), Kouji Ishii (Kimura-sensei in Azumanga Daioh, Oji in The Legend of Black Heaven) as Joe (G-2), Michiko Neya (Nancy in Read Or Die and R.O.D -The TV-, Melissa in Full Metal Panic!) as Jun (G-3), Rika Matsumoto (Kei in Dirty Pair Flash, Nataku in X: The Movie) as Jimpei (G-4), Fumihiko Tachiki (Gendo in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Boss in Mazinkaiser) as Ryu (G-5), Ikuya Sawaki (Ladderum in Turn-A Gundam, ZX-Tole in The Guyver) as Dr. Nanbu, the late Kaneto Shiozawa (Vampire Hunter D OAV, Shin in the original Area 88) as Berg Katse, and Nobuo Tanaka (Hyperion in Gekiganger 3) reprising his role as Sosai X.

As for the English dub, leave it to Harmony Gold (Robotech) to screw this one up. The translation is completely off and the horrid voice acting makes the whole anime look like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon. And in the tradition of Battle of the Planets and G-Force, names have been changed once again:

Jimpei = Jimmy

Ryu = Rocky

Berg Katse = Solaris

Sosai X = Lord Zortek

Turtle King = Dragon King

Super Bird Missile = Armageddon Rocket (Lame!)

Nuclear Bomb = Neutrino Bomb (What?)

Red Impulse = Red Specter

In a nutshell, stick to the subbed version.

DVD Extras: D

Nothing but trailers for Urban Vision's other titles.

The Bottom Line

Despite its shortcomings, Gatchaman rocks! Now what is Tatsunoko planning for the series' 30th anniversary?

Reference

Seiyuu Database

Gatchaman - Home of the White Shadow

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

At the time, no it wasn't obvious. At the time, however, I was 7 years old... :lol:

Now, of course, its rather painful.

Mind you, even at that age, being a bit of a space-cadet, even I knew there was something wrong with Jupiter having blue skies and open-air colonies on a rocky foundation...!

I was 9 at the time and it was so weird that the animation was dynamic and when they entered that room it was always the same run ending in the same pose. Oh well. This reminds me to get the original Gatchaman series though...

I remember this review back in the old fourms glad u brought it back A7. I'm glad I have the DVD and since I'm a Gatchaman nut the OVA series rocks! I liked the remix cover of the original intro to the series and the video after the last credit roll in the final episode of the OVA. Excellent remake of an excellent series sans BOTP.

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25