What Style of Display Shelf Would You Use?

kensei

How would you like your shelf?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like your shelf?

• Glass + Garage Door
    • Glass + Hinged Door
    • Glass + Sliding Door
    • Perspex + Garage Door
    • Perspex + Hinged Door
    • Perspex + Sliding Door
    • Other Material or Opening Style
    • Oh, don't worry about a the annoying dust or harmful yellowing UV light kensei!

As the title says. Those options seem like the only options available to me at the moment. You're welcome of course to suggest something different. This will be the baby which will house all my valks for you to see in about June - July.

My reasons against the hinged doors is the fragility of the glass near the hinge. Also, the doors cannot be too huge.

This is why I love the sliding doors. Except, there is always that ugly division and gap where the two glass doors meet. But they are easier I belive to design little locks for.

Edited by kensei

As long as you're careful then glass + hinged doors should be fine. You can get locks for those easy too I would imagine. One for the top and bottom.

hi the glass with hinged doors are very nice i have 2 of my own. they are from IKea and full 360 so you can see from all directions.

chris

I voted for the Glass and Hinged door. I have one of those DETOLFF from IKEA, and I have to say that one of it's appeals is the fact that I can see my VALKS from anywhere in my room, from any angle. It makes me appreciate the 1/48's that I do have :) .

I voted for the Glass and Hinged door. I have one of those DETOLFF from IKEA, and I have to say that one of it's appeals is the fact that I can see my VALKS from anywhere in my room, from any angle. It makes me appreciate the 1/48's that I do have :) .

I got one of those. I had most of my 1/48s in there but I took them out for the time being so I could play with them more lol

"Looking for 7 dwarfs to build me a one-piece chrystal case" falls under the

"other"" option? :D

Sliding panels would be great for large cases but when it's a narrow or small

cae I prefer a single hinged door

Perspex (plexiglass) must be the worst material you could use, any dirt or grease

may matte the plate giving it a milky glow and it would take serious polishing

getting it to sparkle again. Not only that but it scratches pretty fast as well

Edited by Nightbat®

I voted glass plus hinge, like the others I use the Ikea ones. Super cheap and you can add a light to them pretty easy and cheap also. Unfortunately I do not like the full glass back to them. I don't live in a cave and I want to keep my pieces out of the sun so I had to invent my own backs to them. It's okay, it's forcing me to get creative. I definitely prefer to keep them enclosed as it severely limits the dust build up that might otherwise occur.

i picked the last one cause i like mine open style....how else do you get to play with them.  :p  :D  :lol:

But....the DUST! :blink:

what dust? i got an ionic breeze(sharper image) and a air purifier(honeywell) going at the same time, plus i got one of those magnetic/static feather duster thingies(as seen on TV) for the nooks and crannies. B))

besides, i move/display/play my macross toys often enough so dust doesn't have a chance to settle on them. dust only forms if you don't touch or move your toys around for a lengthy period of time.

Check it out... those Ikea Detolf (or whatever they are) cases are just the right height:

The SDF1 fits in their like a glove! Uh, don't try to fit your MISB SDF1 in there though... that doesn't work.

post-4-1106386331_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenius

I would like to go for the easy way out and go to Ikea or Freedom, but they do not have the shelves suited to my needs. In one shelf section, I need enough space to display one valkyrie in each mode. I would prefer going along the shelf, but maybe I could get creative and find a way to display them in half the space. I got right now 3.0-3.1 M to spare.

In regards to the Ikea cases...

Yeah, if you're talking 1/48 scale mechs those will never fit in all three modes in one of these cases (unless you do some crazy posing, use stands to have them all at varying heights, or don't mind them looking extremely intimate). You could fit three 1/55s on one of these shelves in each mode pretty easily though.

well, I'm still in the process of clearing my room for that nice glass Detolf so I can display some of my most favorite toy/ models/ etc/. But currently i'm using a nice 6 feet high bookshelf, so I can fit a bunch of other stuff too.

So you can check out some of the book shelf pricings too

the big problem i have with most display cases is they're never deep enough. until i see an enclosed case thats more than 14" deep(the average), i ain't buying one. the detolf is nice(and cheap) but theres such a small amount of useable shelf space. its like 16" x 16" which isn't displaying much as far as i'm concerned. look at jenius's pic of the 1/3000 SDF-1 and 1/55 super O in one of those detolf cases, at most you'd get another 2 items in there.

i want something BIG, but more importantly DEEP but this combo is next to impossible to find. <_<

Edited by haterist

the big problem i have with most display cases is they're never deep enough. until i see an enclosed case thats more than 14" deep(the average), i ain't buying one. the detolf is nice(and cheap) but theres such a small amount of useable shelf space. its like 16" x 16" which isn't displaying much as far as i'm concerned. look at jenius's pic of the 1/3000 SDF-1 and 1/55 super O in one of those detolf cases, at most you'd get another 2 items in there.

i want something BIG, but more importantly DEEP but this combo is next to impossible to find. <_<

That's why I'm planning to design and build my own shelf. Something that is glass, hinged, deep, lockable and lightable is virtually impossible to find.