Found a blast from the past...

Mechamaniac

So, cleaning out my closet over the weekend, and I came across some of those old....what are they called again...oh yeah!, VHS tapes. :D Of course, my copy of Clash of the Bionoids was in there... :lol:

And also, a blank, retail tape with a nicely hand typed label saying...

Macross: The Movie In English

Curiosity prompted me to pop it into the VCR I had borrowed just for the occasion of weeding out ancient VHS tapes. When it started, what was there was clearly the original Japanese Laserdisc. The Shogaukan logo pops up, followed by the longer original DYRL opening scene.

And then out of the darkness.....came the DUB. Yeah, someone back in the day had taken the Original Laserdisc, and used the COTB dub track to make it in English. They had some nice video toaster looking opening and ending credits all in English. It was even complete with the blue screen showing SIDE 2 half way through.

Picture and sound quality are HORRIBLE!.

:rolleyes:

I never bought this copy, I think I bummed it from a friend of mine, but I seem to remember he bought it at a con a long time ago.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I have a copy of that, with the disc flip, but the sound and video quality and just fine. I wonder what generation your tape is.

I don't think I want to know! :D

I also don't want to know what my friend payed for it back in the day. I'll have to ask him when I give it back.

What I think Mechamaniac's talking about is the footage of Britai and Exedol talking about the miclone artifacts and the fact that the ship they are pursuing does not have Meltran but instead this strange mix of Zentran and Meltran miclones. Clash of the Bionoids edited all that out and instead went straight to the SDF-01 Macross glory shot of it coming out of the shadow into the light.

I have DYRL subtitled edition with the Macross Flasback 2012 ending and I have a dub of Clash of the Bionoids. I know Clash is a butchered version of DYRL but it still has a special place in my memories. Clash was the first version I ever saw.

"Shut up! You can still fight when you're drunk!" (Major Roy Focker) :lol:

Truer words have never been spoken. :rolleyes:

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I have DYRL subtitled edition with the Macross Flasback 2012 ending and I have a dub of Clash of the Bionoids. I know Clash is a butchered version of DYRL but it still has a special place in my memories. Clash was the first version I ever saw.

"Shut up! You can still fight when you're drunk!" (Major Roy Focker) :lol:

Truer words have never been spoken. :rolleyes:

The best part about COTB was that Hikaru sounded like Corky from Life Goes On. :lol:

Something to bear in mind when viewing DYRL for the first time verses the tv series, is that as a movie the general gist of the Macross plot was reinterpreted. Now the target audience of the film wasn’t necessarily viewers familiar with the tv series, one reason why anime films are made is the wide exposure it achieves. As such, while the tv series did reach a large viewer market, the movie received IMO greater exposure and in many different languages. I know when I saw DYRL I was in HK and I had previously seen many episodes of the tv series; however I felt I still enjoyed the animation, character designs, character development, mecha, and of course the music. In fact, as a final product DYRL was the primary reason why I decided to become an animator.

Moreover, in DYRL a considerable portion had to be reduced and as a result we do not see intricate character development and the depth of characters. However this does not make DYRL a bad film, it flows smoothly IF one views the film with fresh eyes and does not bear expectations based on the tv series. This same concept can be applied to more modern anime films like Escaflowne A Girl In Gaea when compared to the Escaflowne tv series. While some fans and otakus alike might clamor for more character development and greater attention to the plot transitions, for the most part DYRL succeeds as a stand alone reinterpretation and introduction to the Macross tv series for new viewers. Furthermore, considering many talented individuals such as Mikimoto, Kawamori and the highly memorable voice actors that helped make the film, IMO they all successfully contributed their mark on one of the greatest anime space epic films ever. View DYRL with fresh eyes and you may find your inner child loving everyone moment of this classic film.

I remember how happy I was when I found the SUPERDIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS VHS dub one day at an EB. I hadn't yet tracked down a fansub of DYRL, so it was my first exposure to the film.....kids don't know how lucky they have it today.