The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

it was snowing at the time :rolleyes:

Pfft...try driving up here. I'm a "drifting champion" for 4 months out of the year. You have no idea how much we welcome dry pavement in the spring time.

wish it would snow here in Florida, lol.

na, you dont, its real pretty for the 1st week, gets old after 5 months

it was snowing at the time :rolleyes:

Pfft...try driving up here. I'm a "drifting champion" for 4 months out of the year. You have no idea how much we welcome dry pavement in the spring time.

wish it would snow here in Florida, lol.

na, you dont, its real pretty for the 1st week, gets old after 5 months

I used to live in Colorado, so I definately miss the stuff, I just wasnt old enough to drive while I was there.

A lot of people "invented" drifting. Ryan Hampton, who drives in Formula Drift, is a good example. As an instructor at Bondurant, he got bored of driving the same car around the same track so much. So, for fun, he started sliding the car, until he was able to do the entire course. At some point, he had a student who had flown in from Japan. He started doing his sliding technique, and the student exclaimed that Ryan must have been a professional drifter. Ryan had never heard of drifting, and started investigating the sport, and eventually started running amateur events, then became pro.

Similar stories are found all over the place.

Okay, time to switch gears on this thread for a moment. In your opinion, what are the 10 best TV and movie (no anime, please) cars of all-time?

General Lee Dukes of Hazzard

KIT Nightrider

trans am Smoky and the bandit

Testarossa Maimi Vice

Ferrari 308 Magnum PI

batmobile Batman

67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

?????

beetle LoveBug

I'll agree with that one, Herbie's one of the greatest.

and for the last couple:

the '73 Mach I from the original Gone in 60 Seconds

the '69 Charger from Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

What about Bond's DB5? Surely that has to be on the list.

dont know, they allways change every movie... I think more of a classic would be Bonds gull wing

speaking of which

Delorean from Back to the Future

Okay, top 10 cars....lemme see (dang, it's hard to keep it to so few!).

1. Mad Max: Interceptor (she's meanness put to music and the b--ch is born to run!)

2. LeMans: S. McQueen's 917K

3. Vanishing Point (original): Kowalski's Challenger

4. Smokey & The Bandit: '79(?) Trans-Am "Trigger" (I know, already mentioned, sorry)

5. Bond films: Aston Martin DB-5?

6. Gumball Rally: Ferrari Daytona convertible (actually, a lot of the cars in this flick were cool as hell)

7. Gone in 60 Seconds(new ver.): '68 Shelby GT500E "Elanore" (the movie sucks balls, but I like the car okay; still want to see the original)

8. Cobra: Stallone's '49 Merc led-sled

9. The Munsters: Munster Coach (not terribly practical or pleasing to the eye, but a fond childhood memory)

10. The A Team: 80's Chevy Van (who could forget B.A.'s baaaad-A van?)

So many more I could list, others I won't in order not to keep repeating already worthy mentions...

post-26-1112843984_thumb.jpg

What about Bond's DB5? Surely that has to be on the list.

dont know, they allways change every movie... I think more of a classic would be Bonds gull wing

speaking of which

Delorean from Back to the Future

They change in the new ones. I'm talking about the original Aston, the one that was in just about ever Connery Bond movie, and a lot more.

"Dragula" is probably my favorite TV car. A Ford 360 in a coffin. What's not to love? :)

LOL, I like that--back in the 60's, that's what a lot of those dragsters and race cars amounted to. A stylistic--yet ironically accurate--execution of automotive art...

Here are a few notables:

1) Steve McQueens Mustang Bullitt in Bullitt

2) The Mini Coopers from The Italian Job

3) Ford Grand Torino from Starsky and Hutch

4) The Batmobile from the 89-90 Batman Movie

Here are my top 10:

1. 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (original Gone in 60 Seconds)

2. 1982 GMC Custom Van (The A-Team)

3. Ford Falcon Interceptor (Mad Max, The Road Warrior)

4. 1968 Ford Mustang GT (Bullitt)

5. 1964 Aston Martin DB5 (Goldfinger, Thunderball, GoldenEye)

6. Batmobile (Batman, Batman Returns)

7. 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am "K.I.T.T." (Knight Rider)

8. 1969 Dodge Charger R/T "General Lee" (The Dukes of Hazzard)

9. 1986 Ferrari Testarossa (Miami Vice)

10. 1972 Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4 Spyder (Miami Vice)

Honorable Mention:

1997 BMW 750iL (Tomorrow Never Dies)

1960s Batmobile (Batman)

2002 Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (Die Another Day)

1977 Lotus Esprit (The Spy Who Loved Me)

DeLorean (Back to the Future trilogy)

Isn't it a '68 charger in "Bullit"?  The '68 has always been my favorite.

Funny thing about the Charger in Bullit is that the same Charger was used throughout the entire chase scene. On the other hand, the production crew went through a handful of Mustangs because they kept breaking down.

Surprised more people haven't mentioned the Delorean from Back to the Future yet, but just as well as Deloreans really, really suck.

Edited by yellowlightman

Surprised more people haven't mentioned the Delorean from Back to the Future yet, but just as well as Deloreans really, really suck.

Especially with the current company charging $37,500 for a refurbished one (complete with 2-year powertrain + 6-month/6,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty).

DeLorean Motor Company

Yes, DeLoreans are unreliable as hell, but unlike a Yugo or Aztek, they actually have a coolness factor.

Problem is once you get beyond the dumb doors and stainless steel exterior, you realize it's just a mediocre car from the 80's with a horrible engine. $37,500 is insane.

Going to the subject of the DeLorean's engine, I went to a fansite and noticed that many owners junked the PRV engine (which was actually reliable before DeLorean molested it) and placed different motors in the car, whether it's a pushrod or rotary. One guy even dropped two engines in his DeLorean (a Honda VTEC in the front and a Cadillac Northstar V8 in the rear). Don't know how much performance he's getting on that setup.

Problem is once you get beyond the dumb doors and stainless steel exterior, you realize it's just a mediocre car from the 80's with a horrible engine. $37,500 is insane.

Going to the subject of the DeLorean's engine, I went to a fansite and noticed that many owners junked the PRV engine (which was actually reliable before DeLorean molested it) and placed different motors in the car, whether it's a pushrod or rotary. One guy even dropped two engines in his DeLorean (a Honda VTEC in the front and a Cadillac Northstar V8 in the rear). Don't know how much performance he's getting on that setup.

Yeah, there was a 3-rotor Delorean up for sale a year or so ago. The problem is the stock motor really didnt match the "supercar" status they were trying to go for, and just turns out to be a pretty mediocre vehicle.

A friend of mine from Northern Ireland told me they call the Delorean "the big mistake," or soemthing to that effect.

Anybody remember The Car? I think this is credited as another G. Barris custom (looks like a Lincoln under there somewhere). LOL, but I never noticed before--anybody else see a resemblance to the new Chrysler 300? :huh:

post-26-1112889518_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Okay, top 10 cars....lemme see (dang, it's hard to keep it to so few!).

1. Mad Max: Interceptor (she's meanness put to music and the b--ch is born to run!)

2. LeMans: S. McQueen's 917K

3. Vanishing Point (original): Kowalski's Challenger

4. Smokey & The Bandit: '79(?) Trans-Am "Trigger" (I know, already mentioned, sorry)

5. Bond films: Aston Martin DB-5?

6. Gumball Rally: Ferrari Daytona convertible (actually, a lot of the cars in this flick were cool as hell)

7. Gone in 60 Seconds(new ver.): '68 Shelby GT500E "Elanore" (the movie sucks balls, but I like the car okay; still want to see the original)

8. Cobra: Stallone's '49 Merc led-sled

9. The Munsters: Munster Coach (not terribly practical or pleasing to the eye, but a fond childhood memory)

10. The A Team: 80's Chevy Van (who could forget B.A.'s baaaad-A van?)

So many more I could list, others I won't in order not to keep repeating already worthy mentions...

son of a bee hive, I forgot about the Max Mobile (Ford Falcon) thats one of my favorite movies, let alone car..

Never really liked the G. Barris cars though,,, too hoeky for me, even the Batmobile, I do like the Batmobile from BatMan (movie/Keaton)

I know it's incredibly hard to limit any list to just ten cars, so how about a "must see" list of movies for any petrol head to aspire to see? For starters:

1. Mad Max--both I and II; some of the greatest stunts caught on film(esp. II). Period

2. Ronin--some truly great car chases; the look on Deniro's face: priceless! looks like he could bend a tire iron w/his arse cheeks! :lol:

3. The French Connection--reputed as one of the all time great car chase scenes; still on my "to see" list

4. American Graffiti--lots of great cars; a wistful look at the cruising culture of the 50's-60s

5. Bullitt--truly a great, great car chase scene; McQueen did his own driving; watch the 'Stang lose the same hub-cap 4 times! :p

6. Grand Prix--James Garner docu-drama from the late 60's; reputed as one of the best all time racing movies, also on my "to see" list

7. LeMans--a great, great racing movie; the race ending was a little <_< but otherwise a real treat

8. Vanishing Point (original)--a bit spacy at times, but that Challenger kicked arse!

9. Christine--a classic, 'nuff said

10. Smokey & the Bandit I--another classic

11. Corvette Summer--shame the way they butchered that 'Vette, but a fun look at Mark Hammil before he found "The Force"

12. The Wraith--cheesy 80s "ghost gets revenge" movie using a regenerating space age car (Dodge concept car) w/Charlie Sheen

13. Gumball Rally--great race in the LA river basin between a Cobra and a Ferrari Daytona; another of the 70s "Cannonball" style race movies

*ahem*

It was the Chrager that was famous for losing multiple hubcaps in Bullit. McQueen's '68 Fastback rode on American Racing Torque Thrust wheels, and as such didn't have hubcaps. :p

oops, my bad--I knew it was one of 'em...okay, so it's been a while since I've seen it.

My list of must-see car movies:

1. Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Bar none, the undisputed hardcore champion of car chases. Unlike the 2000 remake, which is as fake as Botox and breast implants, the crashes and the 30-foot jump on this one are real.

2. Ronin - Hardly any movie these days has a car chase scene as intense as this.

3. Mad Max - Still Australia's best film import.

4. Bullitt - If you want to talk about Mustangs and Steve McQueen, this is THE movie to watch.

5. The Road Warrior - More road carnage from Down Under.

6. The Junkman - From the creator of Gone in 60 Seconds comes the Guinness Record holder for the most totaled vehicles in one movie.

7. Deadline Auto Theft - Another classic in the Gone in 60 Seconds trilogy. DVD also includes the unfinished Gone in 60 Seconds II.

8. No Man's Land - Love Porsches? Then don't miss this Charlie Sheen flick.

9. The Fast and the Furious - Yeah, maybe it's full of ricers, but the stunts are actually great, especially the Dodge Charger crash scene.

10. Stroker Ace - Probably the only good NASCAR movie, as Days of Thunder tried too much to be like Top Gun.

And some car movies to stay away from:

1. 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story - Boring, inaccurate NASCAR movie from ESPN and the director of Highlander. And this comment is coming from an Earnhardt fan.

2. Driven - Stallone may have just killed CART (now known as Champ Car) with this flop.

3. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) - The remake may have more cars to look at, but the car chases are boring, not to mention that the "jump" is computer-generated.

BTW, is anyone here gonna watch Dust to Glory, the Baja 1000 movie?

oh, can't forget The Blues Brothers. That's got to hold some kind of record for "Most Police Cars Wrecked In One Film" or something.

Then there's Spielberg's Duel. You ought to think twice before you go cutting off some truck driver... :o

Oh yeah, there's The Fall Guy and Simon & Simon: that brown lifted Chev 4x4 and the Simons' Dodge Powerwagon, respectively. These guys drove trucks back when they were still just for "rednecks" and "tough guys," before the emergence of SUV mania and the ascendency of the "soccer mom"

Don't forget Lone Wolf McQuade: Chuck Norris kicks ass and takes names as a no-nonsense TX Ranger, and shows that "real men" drive trucks, as his Dodge w/the "supercharger" showed. Ah the 80s--when realism and practicality took a back seat (way back) to machismo. The heroes talked big, and carried even bigger guns. :p

I was gonna mention Sroker Ace, but figured no one else would know what it was. An interesting look at NASCAR, with cameos from the "old school" drivers. A lot of the characters' pranks/antics are supposed to be based on the real drivers' personal experiences. Interestingly enough, the film looks at Stroker's disdain for his having to "sell out" for the sake of the sponsor is quite ironic--if they only knew then just how far it'd go. A look at stock-car drivers back in the day, before they got as stiff as their cardboard cutouts.

Edited by reddsun1

3. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) - The remake may have more cars to look at, but the car chases are boring, not to mention that the "jump" is computer-generated.

You know what's sad? I read an earlier version of the GI60S remake script that kept the original film's chase intact, including the unscripted collision with the pole. For whatever reason, they didn't have the gonads to film this version and instead we were treated to Gone in 60 Seconds Lite.

Edited by bsu legato

My list of must-see car movies:

1. Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Bar none, the undisputed hardcore champion of car chases. Unlike the 2000 remake, which is as fake as Botox and breast implants, the crashes and the 30-foot jump on this one are real.

2. Ronin - Hardly any movie these days has a car chase scene as intense as this.

3. Mad Max - Still Australia's best film import.

4. Bullitt - If you want to talk about Mustangs and Steve McQueen, this is THE movie to watch.

5. The Road Warrior - More road carnage from Down Under.

6. The Junkman - From the creator of Gone in 60 Seconds comes the Guinness Record holder for the most totaled vehicles in one movie.

7. Deadline Auto Theft - Another classic in the Gone in 60 Seconds trilogy. DVD also includes the unfinished Gone in 60 Seconds II.

8. No Man's Land - Love Porsches? Then don't miss this Charlie Sheen flick.

9. The Fast and the Furious - Yeah, maybe it's full of ricers, but the stunts are actually great, especially the Dodge Charger crash scene.

10. Stroker Ace - Probably the only good NASCAR movie, as Days of Thunder tried too much to be like Top Gun.

And some car movies to stay away from:

1. 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story - Boring, inaccurate NASCAR movie from ESPN and the director of Highlander. And this comment is coming from an Earnhardt fan.

2. Driven - Stallone may have just killed CART (now known as Champ Car) with this flop.

BTW, is anyone here gonna watch Dust to Glory, the Baja 1000 movie?

Best car movie was:

used cars