The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

That picture fooled us into thinking it was a diecast.

Must have been the base. It's the base of a display case.

I know that most Revell kits suck, but what problems did you face with the kit?

The part with the roll bars refused to fit properly without epoxy putty to blend the whole thing together. All the details are incredibly inaccurate, and crappily soft/poorly molded. I spent much time scraping mold lines and recarving things from engine parts.

Most of the other problems I faced had to do with inexperience, like hasty clip job that resulted in a snapped windshield frame that still plagues the thing to this day.

My next one will be better. It may not be good, but it will be better.

Must have been the base. It's the base of a display case.

Dude, even without the base, people will still mistake that for a diecast. I collect diecast cars and none of them are on their bases.

I should get back into car kit building. There's a Revell 1/25 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition in my room that's unassembled and collecting dust...

That's your first car model? It's *ucking awesome! I can't beleive how shiny it is! That's impressive as hell. Here's a pic of a model I built years ago....I've posted it before but here we go again:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment....ntid=2016&stc=1

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment....ntid=2019&stc=1

more pics here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread....=Neo%27s+models

Edited by peter

My car is totalled. My wheel broke on the freeway somehow (lousy cast alloys). Sent the car out of control, it went into a bus lane and hit a steep curb, flew in the air, hit one wall, bounced into another, then skidded down the road. I'm really gonna miss her.

Glad you survived alright. Were you injured at all? Cars are replaceable, people aren't.

My car is totalled. My wheel broke on the freeway somehow (lousy cast alloys). Sent the car out of control, it went into a bus lane and hit a steep curb, flew in the air, hit one wall, bounced into another, then skidded down the road. I'm really gonna miss her.

Ouch man, well, as long as your ok.

Thanks for the compliments. They're not deserved, but I'll take them. :-D

Peter, all carbon fiber finish? That is incredible. My next model has some carbon fiber in it, and it was a bitch and a half. Maybe I should consider using separate pieces next time, instead of using one whole piece.

I'm going to go carbon fiber crazy with the next model I build.

JGTC NSX are just so incredible, aren't they?

And just for the record, how many NSX kits do you have? I have two Tamiya Acura NSX and one avex Dome Mugen NSX. No R type. I really would like more, but I'm more of a Ferrari fan at the moment.

PS: Any chance you can take more pictures of that Rosso NSX kit? Better yet, any chance of selling it to me? :-P

Edited by Stamen0083

Damn, man. And I just saw that car last week. At least you're okay.

First, it's Nick's VF-EX, and now, it's Max's S14. I hope my VF-HX doesn't suffer the same fate.

Peter, all carbon fiber finish? That is incredible. My next model has some carbon fiber in it, and it was a bitch and a half. Maybe I should consider using separate pieces next time, instead of using one whole piece.

And just for the record, how many NSX kits do you have? I have two Tamiya Acura NSX and one avex Dome Mugen NSX. No R type. I really would like more, but I'm more of a Ferrari fan at the moment.

PS: Any chance you can take more pictures of that Rosso NSX kit? Better yet, any chance of selling it to me? :-P

The CF GT500 NSX is actually shabilly built if you look really close. There's a lot of overlapping. It took me three months on and off mucking around with it but if I really took my time and tried to make it perfect it probably would have taken a year at the rate I was going. My best friend in that project was Mr. Mark Softer. That stuff is magic.

As for NSX models, I've got a couple:

Unbuilt:

Tamiya JGTC - 6

Tamiya NSX-R - 5

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

Tamiya Acura NSX - 1

Rosso 1/12 scale

Rosso 1/43 scale

Completed:

Tamiya JGTC - 4

Tamiya NSX-R - 1

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

And I've got a bunch of die cast and other minatures...I've lost track.

There's a pic somewhere of some of my collection but since then I've collected more:

Rosso

All cars are fixable if you're willing to spend the time and money to do it.

EDIT: just like people!

Edited by Lightning 06

Truth is, fixing would require totally pullling out the unibody and replacing a rear quarter panel, new doors, new fenders, new hood, new bumpers, new wheels, new suspension, and a paint job. And I'm completely broke. Selling off what's left of the car at least will get me enough to buy an S13 and start from the beginning again.

The CF GT500 NSX is actually shabilly built if you look really close. There's a lot of overlapping. It took me three months on and off mucking around with it but if I really took my time and tried to make it perfect it probably would have taken a year at the rate I was going. My best friend in that project was Mr. Mark Softer. That stuff is magic.

Unbuilt:

Tamiya JGTC - 6

Tamiya NSX-R - 5

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

Tamiya Acura NSX - 1

Rosso 1/12 scale

Rosso 1/43 scale

Completed:

Tamiya JGTC - 4

Tamiya NSX-R - 1

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

There's a pic somewhere of some of my collection but since then I've collected more:

Rosso

I've been toying with the idea of buying an NSX for the past year or so. Problem is while I've looked one over up close ( a '95 at a local Honda dealership that was abused and overpriced) I haven't driven one. The interior was almost identically laid out to my 300zx twinturbo.

But I decided that I needed a cool car with a back seat for my little girl so I added a G35 6MT to the fleet last week. Guess the NSX can wait another year or so.

Edited by glane21

This morning, I talked to Commander McBride about an offer for another car, but he passed on it because he wants to use the surviving parts from his S14. So I thought I'd ask anyone here living in the Los Angeles area.

My cousin is selling his white 1988 Mazda RX-7 convertible for $2,500. I took it for a spin, and so far, it runs good. It just needs minor bodywork, a new roof and a new center console frame. If anyone's interested, send me a PM.

post-26-1112337663_thumb.jpg

Unbuilt:

Tamiya JGTC - 6

Tamiya NSX-R - 5

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

Tamiya Acura NSX - 1

Rosso 1/12 scale

Rosso 1/43 scale

Completed:

Tamiya JGTC - 4

Tamiya NSX-R - 1

Tamiya Honda NSX - 2

Rosso

I've been toying with the idea of buying an NSX for the past year or so. Problem is while I've looked one over up close ( a '95 at a local Honda dealership that was abused and overpriced) I haven't driven one. The interior was almost identically laid out to my 300zx twinturbo.

But I decided that I needed a cool car with a back seat for my little girl so I added a G35 6MT to the fleet last week. Guess the NSX can wait another year or so.

The NSX may have a similar interior as the 300ZX, but it's a whole different ride man. I've driven 300ZXs and they're awesome, but you gotta test drive an NSX. That naturally aspirated V6 screaming at you from behind is something else.

I'm thinking about buying another car. Nissan Skyline...they're super cheap here in Vancouver. Anywhere from $15,000-24,000 CAD for an R32 GT-R. So much potential for so little dollars.

I want one of these :D

Its a Myers Manx SR...basicly a dunebuggy street rod kit car from 1970...very rare, only something like 60 of them made...yeah, I'm a closet VW aircooled fan :p

at 1300lbs...even a mild 1915cc 145hp street VW motor can make them really scoot, with a power to weight ratio on par with a brand new Pontiac GTO...besides I just love the bodylines

post-26-1112349254_thumb.jpg

I want one of these :D

Its a Myers Manx SR...basicly a dunebuggy street rod kit car from 1970...very rare, only something like 60 of them made...yeah, I'm a closet VW aircooled fan :p

at 1300lbs...even a mild 1915cc 145hp street VW motor can make them really scoot, with a power to weight ratio on par with a brand new Pontiac GTO...besides I just love the bodylines

I totally agree about the air-cooled VWs, they're very awesome. Unfortunately, once they switched over to FWD liquid-cool cars, they turned into over-priced eurotrash. The exception being the early GTIs.

The Volkswagen Type 181 "The Thing" is probably one of the coolest cars in the world:

post-26-1112353310_thumb.jpg

This morning, I talked to Commander McBride about an offer for another car, but he passed on it because he wants to use the surviving parts from his S14. So I thought I'd ask anyone here living in the Los Angeles area.

My cousin is selling his white 1988 Mazda RX-7 convertible for $2,500. I took it for a spin, and so far, it runs good. It just needs minor bodywork, a new roof and a new center console frame. If anyone's interested, send me a PM.

How many miles are on it? 5speed or automatic? I have the gut feeling $2,500 is a bit high, but I haven't looked at RX7 prices in forever so who knows. The 'verts are fun cars, slow as balls though.

How many miles are on it? 5speed or automatic? I have the gut feeling $2,500 is a bit high, but I haven't looked at RX7 prices in forever so who knows. The 'verts are fun cars, slow as balls though.

It's a 5MT with over 165,000 miles on it. Guess that means the Wankel's gonna give within 35K miles.

I priced it up at the official Kelley Blue Book site, and $2,500 is right around that corner.

The Gt500 is a cool looking car, but for the extra money you would be better off dropping a supercharger in a Gt. At least for Hp.

It would take more than a simple Vortech blower to get similar performance out of a stock GT. The Cobra will be pushing 500 hp out of a blown 5.4. Its essentially a detuned version of the Ford GT motor. Pricing for the Cobra hasn't been announced yet, but the previous gen Cobra was such a screaming deal that it nearly killed off interest in the Roush, Saleen and Steeda tuner cars.

I heard that the Cobra will be around 39,000$ MSRP. Don't quote me on that though. I wouldn't be suprised if it's around that considering the 05 GT and V6 retail around the same price as the 1999-2004. The 2003-2004 Cobra's were priced mid 30' to low 40's.

Edited by Golden Arms

The Gt500 is a cool looking car, but for the extra money you would be better off dropping a supercharger in a Gt. At least for Hp.

It would take more than a simple Vortech blower to get similar performance out of a stock GT. The Cobra will be pushing 500 hp out of a blown 5.4. Its essentially a detuned version of the Ford GT motor. Pricing for the Cobra hasn't been announced yet, but the previous gen Cobra was such a screaming deal that it nearly killed off interest in the Roush, Saleen and Steeda tuner cars.

The scary thing is how much more power they're going to be able to get out of the Cobra by getting rid of the restrictive manifolds and exhaust. Should be a very cool car.

Speaking of the Ford GT, the American supercar will be available in a limited Tungsten Silver edition to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the GT40's Le Mans victory.

8.jpg

More images here

In the words of the nWo: Too SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

now thats a machine, I just hate the fact Ford has to put a supercharger on everything to get decent power. Anyone whos built a 5.0 knows, little has to be done to get em to scream without pumping air into em

Ah yes--more proof positive that Ford won't hesitate to pimp a classic name badge to move a few more units. But on the other hand, Mr. Shelby ought to be able to enjoy the accolades and reap some rewards while he's still living.

More like Ford has no other choice but to pimp a classic name (and design) because it can't innovate worth a crap. As much as I love the new Mustang and dig the GT, I can't feel a little bit shafted because it's pretty obvious that Ford has decided to go back to an era when they didn't suck and just bring back their great designs from that time. Also see the Shelby Cobra and Shelby Coupe prototypes for examples of that.

Speaking of the Ford GT, the American supercar will be available in a limited Tungsten Silver edition to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the GT40's Le Mans victory.

8.jpg

More images here

In the words of the nWo: Too SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

New Ford GT? Fooey! I STILL don't like it. I still like the original cars better (J Wyer MkI specs in particular). Ford did a lot of boasting about how it'd best it's nearest competition, i.e. 360 Modena and Viper, but aren't going to back up the sh-t talking with any competition development--and well they shouldn't. They know this PIG would make a dog s--t race car (3500lbs? Jeezus gimme a break!), and take much more money/capital than they're willing/able to sink into making it a halfway decent race car (anybody remember Jaguar's F1 program? or go further back, Cadillac's prototype program?). Which goes completely against the inspiration and purpose of the original bloody car! The GT-40 was a race car FIRST, not some oversized execu-trophy.

I still say the Mk I chassis, with a properly widened chin, modern roll cage, and some minimal aero refinements, would make a damn competitive GT racing car even today (this has been borne out already, as recently as the late 90's).

post-26-1112411219_thumb.jpg

(got this from the Macross II vs Macross 7 thread, figured it'd be better to continue over here than there)

actually, within the past 3 or 4 years quite a few oval drivers have been proving themselves on the road courses; in fact there were about 15-20 that drove in the 24/Daytona race this year. After Gordon wins his next championship (whenever that may be) I've heard he's going straight to F1. When Montoya and Williams came to Indy when Jeffy was there, they traded cars for a few laps and....Gordon was faster in both cars! (I used to loathe Jeffy mind you, but now, since he doesnt win week after week, he's not so bad, he might even be human ohmy.gif )

I hadn't heard about Gordon going to F1, but it would be very cool to see an Americanin the series even if it'll just be more fodder for Schummacher to run over. :(

On the flip side, there was talk for a while that Colin McRae might start driving for NASCAR after her got screwed out of any driver positions in the WRC, but I haven't heard anything more on that. Last I heard of him he rolled his Nissan in the Paris-Dakar Rally. The idea of a Scotsman among the ol' NASCAR boys is a pretty funny image though. :lol:

actually, within the past 3 or 4 years quite a few oval drivers have been proving themselves on the road courses; in fact there were about 15-20 that drove in the 24/Daytona race this year. After Gordon wins his next championship (whenever that may be) I've heard he's going straight to F1. When Montoya and Williams came to Indy when Jeffy was there, they traded cars for a few laps and....Gordon was faster in both cars! (I used to loathe Jeffy mind you, but now, since he doesnt win week after week, he's not so bad, he might even be human ohmy.gif )

I hadn't heard about Gordon going to F1, but it would be very cool to see an Americanin the series even if it'll just be more fodder for Schummacher to run over. :(

On the flip side, there was talk for a while that Colin McRae might start driving for NASCAR after her got screwed out of any driver positions in the WRC, but I haven't heard anything more on that. Last I heard of him he rolled his Nissan in the Paris-Dakar Rally. The idea of a Scotsman among the ol' NASCAR boys is a pretty funny image though. :lol:

The growing trend of NASCAR drivers in the Daytona 24 is more cross-promotion effort on the part of the parent company (IIRC, it's I.S.C.?) than anything else; the same co. owns both sanctioning bodies. Officials have made no bones about it, stating publicly that they want to make that series "the NASCAR of road racing in America." <_< It's basically an effort to garner interest in the NASCAR fan base for their road racing series. Some of the series regulars were/are insulted by this promotion at their expense, and I for one don't blame them; this being "treated like a red-headed step-child" sort of heirarchy is a tad bit sickening. If anything, I've got much more respect for guys like Kyle Petty, who was doing the 24 for years before that, before it became a promotional gimmick.

And not to knock on Gordon, but what about drivers like Scott Speed? He's only been spending the past years busting his a$$, working his way up the ranks both here and in Europe with the Red Bull program; building up his experience--and winning--to earn his way into an F1 seat and show that Americans can compete at that level. What, do we just brush him aside in favor of someone from a "big-time" series, just because they might garner more media attention? It's hard to argue against someone like J. Gordon, as he's obviously got the talent. But it's the attitude--primarily media generated--that "NASCAR = better" that turns me off from it altogether. Oh yeah, that plus I just don't like oval racing...

The new Ford GT-40 is the american supercar? :rolleyes:

Well I really can't knock it to much. The kit car industry has been shoveing GT-40 kits out the door for decades now. And it is basied on a great classic race car...but really Ford, what were you thinking makeing the new 3,500lbs GT a street car with no race pedigree?

Come on Ford! If you want to get in on that showroom sportscar action (but not commit to race funding) well your old partners DeTomaso are working on a new Pantera! Lord knows you helped them out before, building one very fine sports machine...hell you could have cashed in on "cool factor" surrounding the DeTomaso Magusta spied in Kill Bill Vol2 :p

And pulease! the "american supercar" only aspires to beat a Ferrari 360 :rolleyes: Guess Ford hasn't heard of Vector and a number of other small American companies fighting for that title....even this old Vector (with a transverse mounted twin turbo V-8 sourced from GM) gave Ferrari some stiff street performance competition.

post-26-1112429146_thumb.jpg