1/48 YF-21 Resin Model

Kurt

Hey everyone,

I just completed this 1/48 YF-21 for a customer. It was a nice change from the custom valks I have been doing. For as simple of a design as it is, this kit was very difficult to build. There was a lot of clean up and modifying of parts to get them to fit. But I think it captures the look of the valk pretty good. I am also close to finishing the 1/48 YF-19. I just have one more challenge to overcome - the fitting of the vac-formed canopy. Should be done with in the week. Let em know what you think. Thanks!

post-3-1105057917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kurt

simply beautiful! :o great work as usual! have you worked on any macross hasegawa kits? also...do you have any more pictures of any of your other model works?

Yes, I have done several Hasegawa kits. I will start another thread of just those if people want to see them, although they have nave been posted here before. I have done numerous non-Macross kits for customers. I don't think this is the proper forum to show those. PM me and I could email you a few images

Hey everyone,

I am also close to finishing the 1/48 YF-19. I just have one more challenge to overcome - the fitting of the vac-formed canopy. Should be done with in the week. Let em know what you think. Thanks!

This thing is beauty. How long does it take for you to build a craft like this? I would love to see some pictures of the building process, if you have them. Good job!

Hey everyone,

I am also close to finishing the 1/48 YF-19.  I just have one more challenge to overcome - the fitting of the vac-formed canopy.  Should be done with in the week.  Let em know what you think.  Thanks!

This thing is beauty. How long does it take for you to build a craft like this? I would love to see some pictures of the building process, if you have them. Good job!

I did not keep track of the actual build time. I would guess around 20-30 hours. There was alot of clean up which increased the build time. Sorry, I did not take any in progress shots.

my god incredible work Kurt, i cannot wait to see you do the 1/48 YF-19

very impressed fan B))

chris

For as simple of a design as it is, this kit was very difficult to build. There was a lot of clean up and modifying of parts to get them to fit.

WOW, that looks great!

And FINALLY, some validation for me!.

I spent the better part of 30 hours (yes, I kept track) cleaning, shaping, sanding, and re-scribing panel lines on the 21. The night before the Macross Panel at Otakon last year, I went to hot glue it together just to do a quick mock up and display it for the panel.

At that point, I realized that most of the parts had no hope of fitting together accurately without even more MASSIVE alterations. I realized at that point that I was out of my league, and I gave up. And I thought I was getting so close!! :(

It should be noted that the fit problems were not the result of the efforts of Jesse or MSLZ22's recasts. Rather, just the fact that resin kits, especially of this size and caliber, are for experts only. Sadly, I just lacked the skillz, and was tired of vacuuming up piles of resin dust and shavings every night after hours of ignoring my family.

It makes me feel good that someone as awesome as Kurt recognized what a struggle it is to build one of these monsters.

Kurt

Does the kit have any detail for the cockpit ?

I don't recall if there is any detail casted into the cockpit. There was a seat included, I do know that. However I decided not to make this cockpit viewable. To do that you need to remove the "bubble" on top of the canopy and fit a vac-formed piece in there. This for sure would have been a major task. For the sake of my sanity and to not destroy the entire kit I just gave it a tinted window look.

excellent work Kurt. what blue/grey did you use. i really cant wait to get mine now. oh the agony. keep it up i cant wait to see the 19. what were the most troublesome areas of the kit?

sean

I used exactly what Hasegawa suggests on their painting guide. I think it was Cobalt Blue, Gunze Sangyo. The most troublesome issue with this kit where the amount of air bubbles in the castings. I must have spent a good 10 hours just on that, and I still did not get all of them out. There was also a fairly large chunk missing from the front of one of the engine pods. The areas that are painted black. I had to add a blob of epoxy putty and shape it to match. Most of the parts are nor perfect fits and take some adjusting time. The land gear was also an issue. I just did the best I could with what I had.