New Anakin pic

EXO

No matter how much I dog on it or complain, the fact remains that Star Wars was a big part of my childhood, and that kind of attachment won't go away just because of Jar Jar Binks.

Heh...if Lucas had made Phantom Menace (or something resembling it) in 1977 instead of New Hope, I guarantee you that half the members of this board would have grown up sleeping in Darth Maul jammies, while sleeping between Jar Jar sheets. :lol:

Damn right. That's what I've always said in threads like this. But its hip to bash stuff nowadays.

No matter how much I dog on it or complain, the fact remains that Star Wars was a big part of my childhood, and that kind of attachment won't go away just because of Jar Jar Binks.

Heh...if Lucas had made Phantom Menace (or something resembling it) in 1977 instead of New Hope, I guarantee you that half the members of this board would have grown up sleeping in Darth Maul jammies, while sleeping between Jar Jar sheets. :lol:

That's the point. Star Wars isnt respected because it was ana amazing movie, it's respected and appreciated because of people's sentimental attachment to it. Thats why people keep seeing the prequels when they continue to suck, thats why people but fourteen different boxed sets of the original trilogy and thats why people keep buying Star Wars toys. It's the sentimental attachment to the franchise.

Damn right. That's what I've always said in threads like this. But its hip to bash stuff nowadays.

I don't know about bashing. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to movies being made. Check the G.I. Joe and Batman threads.

But I'm not gonna give anyone credit because I slept in some Boba-Fett underoos.

I'll give George credit for what he's due. THX, digital film, ILM.

As for the trilogy and American Graffiti, those are nothing but freshmen triumph. I call it the Peter Frampton syndrome. Comes out strong, but Peters out shortly after.

Just remember, Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky.

Don't even forget the fanboys who would sleep hugging Queen Amidalas pillow. :lol:

OT questions for the more knowladgeable(is this even a word?) SW fans.

Who exactly was Lord Nyax? At first I thought he was SW version of the boogy man... but then it turns out he was Darth Vader when he used to kidnap force sensitive kids during the war. But then.... theres a cult that worships Lord Nyax....

Who or What the heck is he? :huh:

As for the trilogy and American Graffiti, those are nothing but freshmen triumph.  I call it the Peter Frampton syndrome.  Comes out strong, but Peters out shortly after.

Great analogy! Do you Feeeeeeel!!! *holds lit cigarette lighter aloft* :lol:

Edited by Amped

Who exactly was Lord Nyax? At first I thought he was SW version of the boogy man... but then it turns out he was Darth Vader when he used to kidnap force sensitive kids during the war. But then.... theres a cult that worships Lord Nyax....

Never heard of him. You must have scraped the bottom of the EU barrel to find that reference. Where did you hear it?

Never heard of him. You must have scraped the bottom of the EU barrel to find that reference. Where did you hear it?

In a book. It turns out this Lord Nyax is a 11 foot tall dark jedi with 30 lightsabers attached to him, the power to use the force to fly and hurl unusually large things at ppl. Talk about over kill!! :lol:

In a book. It turns out this Lord Nyax is a 11 foot tall dark jedi with 30 lightsabers attached to him, the power to use the force to fly and hurl unusually large things at ppl. Talk about over kill!! :lol:

Blech! Now I'm more glad than ever that I stopped reading EU. Which book was it from?

Edit: oh wait, I remember now. He's from that stupid New Jedi Order book, "Rebel Stand" where the heros go back to Coruscant and find some stupid cyborg Jedi and a lame-ass "force well." I was already sick of EU halfway through the NJO story arc, but when I read the synopsis of this one I quit reading EU and never looked back. The New Jedi Order will kill off EU, mark my words.

Edited by bsu legato

Blech! Now I'm more glad than ever that I stopped reading EU. Which book was it from?

Edit: oh wait, I remember now. He's from that stupid New Jedi Order book, "Rebel Stand" where the heros go back to Coruscant and find some stupid cyborg Jedi and a lame-ass "force well." I was already sick of EU halfway through the NJO story arc, but when I read the synopsis of this one I quit reading EU and never looked back. The New Jedi Order will kill off EU, mark my words.

lol.... I kind of like the series.... though I have nothing to compare it to. And besides... I find it more enjoyable to sit through 2 days of NJO then 30 minutes of EPs 1 or 2. <_<

And besides... I find it more enjoyable to sit through 2 days of NJO then 30 minutes of EPs 1 or 2. <_<

LOL! There are far worse things in EU than 1000 Jar Jar Binx's. I take it you've never read The Crystal Star, or The New Rebellion, or even Darksaber? :p

Like I said.... this is the first, and probably only, EU series I've read. :p

**Might contain spoilers**

The NJO has to be the worst of the Star Wars EU. Sure it has it moments but it has a LOT more bad then good. I'd really suggest the Thrawn Trilogy, Jedi Academy Trilogy along with I, Jedi, the X-wing series, and even the last Zahn Duology of novels.

I wouldn't mind the NJO so much if it actually made sense. It seems to be filled with mischaracizations(sp?) when it comes to characters that have been establish since the movies and dozens of novels before the NJO. Read the back of the novels sometimes. You'll read about Luke, Han and crew yet they might show up for a chapter or two and that's it. Very misleading. I love new characters but not when perviously established ones are made to look foolish or ruined so the new characters can look better. Lets not forget the amount of violence. Sure the films had their share but not to the degree as the NJO(having kids tortured, etc). And if I have to hear about Mara and Luke getting it on one more time I'm going to break something. Lets not forget Jaina going all Dark Jedi using full dark powers and kill at will and not being punished for it once and then made a Jedi Knight soon after with a large cermony while her brother dies and Luke isn't even allowed to greive(sp) cause Mara is being a bitch(sorry Jaina Solo is an even greater bitch though, sucks that she's a main character as well).

Some of the bad parts and horrible character writing comes from DelRey wanting to kill off Luke at the very beginning of the series but were told no by Lucas. So they place him in a role that was meant for someone else and it just ruins his character.

Enough ranting. I can't take it anymore. NJO has kill the EU for me. For me Star Wars ends with last duology by Tim Zahn.

Edited by Effect

Like I said... I got the first 3 books for Xmas.... liked what I read, and bought the rest of them. I could careless about EU or anything SW other then the old trilogy. I'm not looking into reading more of EU, or the prequels at that. I read Eps 2 book... and was surprised at how much better it was compared to the movie. I'm only reading NJO because it crossed my path.... not that I went out of my way to get it. :)

As for Jar Jar.... I don't mind him at all. What I mind is the extremely dull script (EPS 1), insane amount of unnecessary fan service (EPS 2) and over use of special FX (both movies).

The NJO has to be the worst of the Star Wars EU. Sure it has it moments but it has a LOT more bad then good. I'd really suggest the Thrawn Trilogy, Jedi Academy Trilogy along with I, Jedi, the X-wing series, and even the last Zahn Duology of novels.

Yeah, the older EU was certainly much better. The Thrawn trilogy, the X-Wing series, the original Han Solo trilogy....to me, those are the only books worthy of the Star Wars name. :D

Edited by bsu legato

The novels for the movies I've heard were pretty good, better then the films. I still need to pick up TPM novel.I've read half of the Aotc's novel. Some of the prequels are pretty good. Cloak of Deceiption(takes place right before and leads up to TPM) is pretty good.

Edited by Effect

I'm sure they're okay if you've never read any of the past EU. But for some its horrible. Though some still like it.

The novels for the movies I've heard were pretty good, better then the films. I still need to pick up TPM novel. I've read half of the Aotc's novel. Some of the prequels are pretty good. Cloak of Deceiption(takes place right before and leads up to TPM) is pretty good.

The AotC novel was much more complete then the movie. If you have the DVD... most of the deleted scenes in it made it into the novel, plus a few parts that are nowhere to be seen in the movie.

As for the miss characterization of some characters.... some are, defenetly, some I found to be just right. As for the violence... I kind of like it... it makes the book much more detailed, though, the unusual amount of severed limbs is a little too Lucas for my taste. :lol:

As for Jar Jar.... I don't mind him at all. What I mind is the extremely dull script (EPS 1), insane amount of unnecessary fan service (EPS 2) and over use of special FX (both movies).

hmmm.

All other SW movies had a ton of dullness in their scripts (WTF happened in Empire Strikes Back)

Retrun of the Jedi had fan service... (the princess in the brass bra and panties) :rolleyes:

They all used and overused special effects...

However the lameness of JarJar can't be correlated to any other SW film... Perhaps the shittyness of M7 though.

hmmm.

All other SW movies had a ton of dullness in their scripts (WTF happened in Empire Strikes Back)

Retrun of the Jedi had fan service... (the princess in the brass bra and panties) :rolleyes:

They all used and overused special effects...

However the lameness of JarJar can't be correlated to any other SW film... Perhaps the shittyness of M7 though.

Sure.... but not nearly in the same level as Natalie Portman in both movies.

Sure.... not nearly as much as Eps 2 though.

B)

Typo there, I meant to say direction not production. But otherwise my point is valid. Few people would disagree that Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are the best of the Star Wars series. Thats the difference between them and A New Hope, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones? Lucas' involvement in the script and direction. Hrmmmm...

I'll disagree with that. Jedi is the worst of the original trilogy, even though I still enjoy it tremendously. My favorite is in fact ANH, with Empire a very close second. I think you find many people that enjoy ANH more than Jedi.

ANH is boring. Cept for the space battle.

ESB is boring. Cept for the later Besping Scenes(saber fight, carbonite chamber)

ROTJ is boring. Cept for the space battle and saber fight.

TPM is boring. Cept for the lightsaber fight. (I personally like the very beginning also... I love Qui-Gon's use of his saber on that door and the nemoidians like "OH crap!" on the other side)

AOTC is boring. Cept for the battle at the end and the saber fight.

I think most are in agreement that Episode 1 has the best choreographed saber fight. Episode 6 has the best space battle and most climactic battle(maybe until Episode III [crosses fingers]). Etcetera...

They all have their moments, but for the most part, they're kids movies. Always have been. I also know for a fact that a lot of kids liked Jar-Jar. Oh... and I think Luke Skywalker is as annoying as Jar-Jar in the first trilogy. I think Thumb Wars sums it up nicely when Oobi-Doob Scooby Doob Benubi says "But my uncle just bought those! Geez! You are a whiner."

Heheh...

if there were thumbs in space and they got mad at eachother there would be....

TPM is boring. Cept for the lightsaber fight. (I personally like the very beginning also... I love Qui-Gon's use of his saber on that door and the nemoidians like "OH crap!" on the other side)

TPM was cool.... untill they fled Naboo.... then for some reason everything sort of got less interesting from there.

The whole 3 different perspectives ending was pretty neat.... even though I wished they had blown Anakin out of the sky. :lol:

TPM was cool.... untill they fled Naboo.... then for some reason everything sort of got less interesting from there.

The whole 3 different perspectives ending was pretty neat.... even though I wished they had blown Anakin out of the sky. :lol:

Touche. But that big chunk of boring in the middle makes me forget... :)

ESB is boring. Cept for the later Besping Scenes(saber fight, carbonite chamber)

Episode 6 has the best space battle and most climactic battle(maybe until Episode III [crosses fingers]). Etcetera...

For me ESB was boring after the Empire was done with the Rebel ass-kicking on Hoth. Everything afterwards was just anticlimatic with no cigarette to enjoy. ;)

Can't think of any space battle scenes from Ep 6 as exciting as the Trench Run in Ep 4...

STAY ON TARGET!

I don't find any of the Star Wars movies boring, not by a long shot. There's always something to keep your interest. I wasn't the biggest fan of Ep. I and II, but I think it's mostly because I can't get into the characters. I just don't care what happens to Anakin or Padme. Might have to do with the fact I already know their fates.