New Anakin pic

EXO

the divine conception thing is more of Lucas's placing of myth's, symbolism and archetypes into his stories. why is vader's outfit black? well cause hes evil. what does the Lightsaber mean? some kind of nod to the Aurthurian Legends, and a band of Knights that protect the universe, only when they leave, the dark ages begin. Obi wan says it himself: before the dark times, before the empire. the whole series is lousy with mythic references and such. hell i don't even have a problem with the whole immaculate conception thing. when taken in context, its great because Anakin/ Vader is a "christ" like figure. he dies for the sins of the empire, and sets things "right again". but like i said. the Midichlorians thing could have been completely left out.

Personally I am all about the original trilogy and while I don't despise the new ones (I just feel they are lacking in execution), it does not captivate me. Midichlorians were a plot device, and IMHO not a very good one. I would have been more comfortable with Qui Gon just placeing his hand on Annikan's head and saying, strong, very strong.... Stronger than even master yoda. I lalways considered SW more fantasy than SF. Midichlorian's while I know they are not the force, still just added a bit of gratoutios techno babble that really IMHO was not needed and detracted, do we need to explain wizards use of magic in fantasy? na we just leave it that some are born stronger than others.

Edited by GobotFool

Uxi, it's always a pleasure to see another SW fan on the boards. Especially who has a good grasp of the prequels. You should join in our super secret spoiler discussions somethime. :D

Heh. Sounds like fun. Let me know. B)

As far as if MC's were NEEDED or not... well if we go by comments of the Great Plaid One... and his lackey Rick McClallum, supposedly there WAS a point to the midichlorians as well as well as Anakin's dubious origins. McClallum said specifically that Darth Sidious was involved, though he wouldn't specify. Whether that "involvement" has been revived at all... or will be explored in Episode III (or even the EU) remains to be seen. But it could well be possible the Midichlorians are a part of this... or something seperate (maybe with cloning?) is all speculation.

So it could be technobabble (which would part of Lucas' homage to 50's serials) or it could have an intent that may or may not be explored. In either case, it's not fatal to the "fantasy" aspect of the Force or a Jedi's wielding of it. SW is so many mixed genres, anyways, from Japanese Samurai to more European fantasy to the Old West and Han Solo's gunslinging. And I won't even get into the Nazi Germany parallels of the Empire. :)

Uxi, it's always a pleasure to see another SW fan on the boards. Especially who has a good grasp of the prequels. You should join in our super secret spoiler discussions somethime.  :D

Heh. Sounds like fun. Let me know. B)

As far as if MC's were NEEDED or not... well if we go by comments of the Great Plaid One... and his lackey Rick McClallum, supposedly there WAS a point to the midichlorians as well as well as Anakin's dubious origins. McClallum said specifically that Darth Sidious was involved, though he wouldn't specify. Whether that "involvement" has been revived at all... or will be explored in Episode III (or even the EU) remains to be seen. But it could well be possible the Midichlorians are a part of this... or something seperate (maybe with cloning?) is all speculation.

So it could be technobabble (which would part of Lucas' homage to 50's serials) or it could have an intent that may or may not be explored. In either case, it's not fatal to the "fantasy" aspect of the Force or a Jedi's wielding of it. SW is so many mixed genres, anyways, from Japanese Samurai to more European fantasy to the Old West and Han Solo's gunslinging. And I won't even get into the Nazi Germany parallels of the Empire. :)

Oh come on Uxi, the WW2 parrallel is so obvious ;) Everyone knows about that. Though I don't get why the members of the empire all have british accents. German accents would have been so much more fitting ;)

You know what really worries me about Ep 3? Lucas has this silly preoccupation with his movies only being a certain length (think its 2 and a half hours.....not sure...).

When I watched the DVD of Ep 2 for all the cut scenes, there were a ton of great scenes that they said they liked, and they fleshed out characters, etc. but they only cut them because the movie had to come in under a certain length.

Tell a story, and take the time you need to do it. I don't want to see Ep 3 get short-changed and rushed because he doesn't want to break his silly rule.

You know what really worries me about Ep 3? Lucas has this silly preoccupation with his movies only being a certain length (think its 2 and a half hours.....not sure...).

When I watched the DVD of Ep 2 for all the cut scenes, there were a ton of great scenes that they said they liked, and they fleshed out characters, etc. but they only cut them because the movie had to come in under a certain length.

Tell a story, and take the time you need to do it. I don't want to see Ep 3 get short-changed and rushed because he doesn't want to break his silly rule.

Want a solution? Buy the novels. :)

Yeah, I don't know what that's all about. Sure, back in the late 70's and 80's films were generally shorter, but even with today's ADD society there's still many films breaking the 3 hour mark and still making money.

gotta agree. those bonus scenes should have been in the movie. also anyone able to confirm the rumor Lucas is gonna take the original 3 movies rip out all the old FX and compleatly revamp, like a V2.0 of the special editions? If I trusted lucas I would be excited. but I don't and thus I am frightened.

Oh come on Uxi, the WW2 parrallel is so obvious ;) Everyone knows about that. Though I don't get why the members of the empire all have british accents. German accents would have been so much more fitting ;)

The British are obviously the enemies simply because of the Revolutionary War of 1776.....

(obscure Eddie Izzard reference ahead!!)

"Leftenant Sebastian, the rebels are here."

"well do they want tea?"

:lol: