VF-19A - Sort of a step-by-step!

johnybgood18

Another one...

As you can see, this camo has 4 colors. Their were some with only 3 colors but I prefered the differences in tone from this one and especially, the rudders were another grey that you won't see on the rest of the plane. The dark gray on the planes is actually a dark blue grey.

post-23-1104361542_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnybgood18

On a final note... sorry about the mess... I'm a model builder, not a maid! ;)

Conclusion...

Did I like doing this? No! Too much headache just figuring out where to put the lines...

Would I do it again? Absolutely (sort of a masochist)! but with another camo... which makes me think... I have a 2nd VF-0A on the way! I wonder what they do with their old stuff??? Hummm... gotta think about this one! ;-)

That's it for now folks... I'll try to spray the Future tomorrow and start decalling so it'll, hopefully, be ready to weather during next week... If the New Years Eve parties aren't too rough!

Happy New Year to all of you guys!

Chris

post-23-1104362115_thumb.jpg

This idea of camo came out from a website.  This site is from a guy who has his own brand of paint.  He has a lot of different camo.

What was his website, that is an interesting camo job, I would like to see what else he has.

thanks,

Ryan

Edited by phule

--- UPDATE ---

A really strange thing happened. I finished painting the kit, leave it to dry... I then sprayed a thin coat of MM Acryl gloss... put a second thin one and then disaster struck... again!

The wings, when the gloss coat started to dry, had some really fine cracks, like a desert! :-( the fynny thing is that it only happened on one color, the only one that was glossy "out of the bottle"! For you info, I used on ly Gunze colors for the camo.

What a bad day it was! I left it there for a week... just looking at it in desparation! I then proceded to sand it (when I was sure that the gloss coats were dry!) with 1500 wet-and-dry sandpaper, then re-sprayed the color on the worst areas (the wings). Re-sanded again, re-sprayed... did that a few times until I had enough! My patience has worn out! It'll stay like this!

If you look closely, you'll see it but from a normal viewing distance, it doesn't really show. Also, it's under the wings, so it ain't that bad.

On a ore positive note, today, I sprayed a thin coat of "Future" to prepare the surface for decalling. Tomorrow, I'll spray another one and on wednesday, it'll be time for me to start packing... and if I have time, I'll for sure start decalling it. I doubt I'll have the time as I'm moving on saturday so I'll need to get everything ready by friday!

Well... it's turning out OK so far (crossing fingers)! I really hope that nothing bad happen again... 2nd kit I built... problems again, different one tho, but still... not really good!

Well, take care all and I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Edited by johnybgood18

I love Ferris camo, especialy when it's not me doing the masking. :)

All the schemes on that site are real, it's heavily referenced for modelers. (Though his F-14 low-vis is off, that's a "unique variation" not the standard that 90% of squadrons use)

Anyways---what/how do you thin Gunze to spray? Nobody agrees, I always like to see what everybody does.

the cracks were from the "glossy" paint underneath not being as hard as the flat areas and the overcoat you sprayed on contracted as it dried. the glossy part flexed and split causing the cracks you saw. the overcoat dried too quickly.

Yup... that's exactly what I think... I should have waited a bit more before spraying a gloss coat! Oh well... we all learn from our mistakes!

I thin my Gunze with either rubbing alcool or water! It depends on my mood. GS takes both really well.

More pics soon... I hope!

That is a tough question... When I use Mr. Surfacer, I clean my brush with lacquer thinner. Now, lacquer thinner is very strong... it melts plastics... so I'm not too sure if you want to thin it with that and apply this to your model. You will have to experiment...

I don't want to be held responsable if anything happens to your kit, so use a scrap model to test on first!

I hope this help...

Here are some pictures after the decals have been applied. I will let this dry for another 2 days and then, I'll spray another coat of "Future" to seal the decals and prepare the surface for the weathering.

The weathering stage won't probably be before next week, as I need to pack my stuff and unpack so this might take a little while!

Well... here goes, enjoy and as usual, your comments are welcomed!

post-23-1105382856_thumb.jpg

hm...so how do you thin you Mr surfacer? :huh: Do you just use it without thinning it ? Thanks & hope you can explain.

aaajin

You must use lacquer thinner with Mr. Surfacer. Lacquer thinner will melt plastic. However mixed with Mr. Sufacer it will not destroy anything. After all you want your primer to have nice bite on the surface. Just make sure you thin it enough, or it will be like shooting spider webs.

• 4 months later...

Hello all... it has been a long time to say the least! I moved in a new appartment... I need to move out again! But the good news is that the VF-19A is nearing completion! Not to what I would like but considering that this is my 2nd project, I'm quite pleased with the results.

One other bad news is the freaking jet exhausts! I need to redo them... AGAIN! Yes, for the 3rd time! I'm getting desperate! I used Tamiya Gloss Black has a base coat and Alclad metallizer on top. After a week of drying, I sprayed the Alclad on... 2 days after... disaster struck again! Cracks started to appear on the exhaust!

Well... I'm very pist off but I'll finish it, damn it! I won't let it call victory on me!

I will remove all paint on these parts... re-paint them with... Alclad only! From primer to metalizer! No more Tamiya's!

I don't have pictures... but I'll try to take some up for you and hopefully, get some feedbacks from you guys!

Cheers, and keep modelling!

yeah' I'd like to switch to Mr Color too, but the problem is that I can't find a supplier in Canda other than mail order, and all the expensive shipping, customs...

So until then, I'll stay with Tamiya and GunzeSangyo... but for priming, I'll use Mr Surfacer and Alclad II.

:-)

yeah' I'd like to switch to Mr Color too, but the problem is that I can't find a supplier in Canda other than mail order, and all the expensive shipping, customs...

So until then, I'll stay with Tamiya and GunzeSangyo... but for priming, I'll use Mr Surfacer and Alclad II.

:-)

Sigh, I don't get pratically nothing here in my town in italy, the hobby shops carry few things at very high prices, the only decent paint that you can get here is tamiya acrylics but they came at 1.85€(2,27$) a bottle(10ml) and often the paint inside is ruined.

Never considered buyng from Rainbow ten? They can ship with airmail so the shipping costs aren't too high and its way faster then SAL, never had a problem with them. Mr.color paints are sold at 120yen a bottle.

Ido: Hell... I never checked the prices on their website... I should have!

Thanks for the info... I have some experience with HLJ... Great customer services!

Dyowelb: only 1 out of 4 is damaged! It's pretty strange since they have all been sprayed at the same time! But I know now! Never again, I swear!

C ya guys...

Edited by johnybgood18

• 6 months later...

Just to recap!

Was a frustrating projects... but I have gathered a lot of useful info, thanks to you all! This will keep me going for the next ones... and yes there will be more, and yes, it was a lot of fun! ;-)

I think that these kits are absolutely fabulous compared to what "was"!

To Ido: I'm sorry man if I was unable to focus on the weathering of the plane. I saw what you did and well, you don't need any advice! :-) Your VF-1A is amazing!

To Fortress_Maximus: 1/72nd scale from Hasegawa.

I'd like to thank all of you who have given me some advice, tips and shared their experiences with me, it helped me a lot! As I said, it was my second project and you guys helped me more than I could ever have hoped!

A BIG thank you to all of you! :-)

Chris

P.S.: I will take some more pictures from different angle tomorrow.

Edited by johnybgood18