Suprnova down for good

Wumzi

This isn't exactly Anime or Sci-Fi related, but it is where most of us go to get bittorrent downloads, including macross zero.

This is sad. I used to go there to get TV episodes that I missed, or some uber expensive program that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford... *cough*autocad*cough*.

Now I gotta find some other source.

Well, I did manage to find another source exclusively for TV episodes, so the news is not all bad.

I'd like to believe that another site will pop up, but I doubt it too. Supr had a lot of trouble handling bandwidth. They even went the extra mile to prevent people from downloading the torrent files (had to click on them directly from the site to run them). Anything that's going to replace Supr will probably end up in the same situation and shut down too.

Now we all start looking for the next big thing. The trouble though is finding it. A friend once pointed me the direction of Suprnova, here's hoping someone else points me to the new stuff :D

The problem now is, everybody else is going to be flooded with traffic. Then those sties have to go down either by threat of legal action or due to bandwidth problems. A private site even had to close registration due to the flood of traffic that moved away from Suprnova.

using bittorrent to get licensed stuff is a really bad idea, bittorrent, unlike some other peer to peer service is not annonymous and is apparantly quite easy to track down a user's IP.

on the other hand, when I worked with microsoft a few years back, one of their lawyers told me they don't even bother with the small fry because it's not worth the effort, they only care about the distributors... but since the riaa and motion picture guys have been filing lawsuits against dear old grandma lately... I dunno. could be risky.

Yeah, i'm using Loki and Isohunt right now, they're not bad. I used to rely on Suprnova for public stuff, and privately belonged to Filesoup and Phoenix, all of which have now shut down (as illegal torrent sites, anyways).

What I'd like to find now is a really bang up private group. Atleast for anime we stlill have places like Boxtorrent (King of Anime Torrent Sites?).

I recently saw supernova listed in one news article about the popularity of bittorrents so I knew it would not be long. Super sucks. At least one supernova mirror site is still up and some of the other big sites are still up. It would be nice if these big sites would not list movies and music so they would not get shut down so easily.

It's a funny cycle, really. Someone comes up with a way for really non-technical people to share stuff - usually illegal trading of copyrighted data. It grows and becomes popular, gets magazine articles, and becomes even better with all of the people using it and sharing their bandwidth and more variety of goodies... then it gets killed by lawyers. Or comes back neutered with none of the good stuff or charging money.

I saw it with Napster, and a million clones and now BitTorrent is taking the heat.

The funniest thing is that the easier you make it, the more likely it is to get shut down. All of the oldest filesharing methods never die. Most of how I trade or d/l this sort of thing has been there since the internet was in it's infancy.

It will always happen, you just can't make it too easy, apparently.

i agree to a certain extent, but even the more cryptic methods aren't foolproof. witness the demise of some irc channels, ftp sites shut down, etc. at least newsgroups seem reasonably 'safe' atm. it just kills me that a fair portion of the money spent in the computing industry is as a result of piracy (blank media, dvd writers, big hard drives, fast bandwidth, ipods(!)).