Macross DVDs discontinued

bandit29

They have no credibility. Stuff they say can't or won't happen has a nasty tendancy to happen. Stuff they say will happen... doesn't.

And yet some people still cling to the belief that there will someday be an MPC Beta. :lol:

Hope and belief are diffrent things.

No one EXPECTS it to happen, but a lot of people WANT it to happen.

Not that I really think things'll go one way or the other regarding an ADV release, but one point in favor of HG simply burying the series is my theory:

HG really only licensed Macross to Animeigo as a way of bolstering their trademark on the Macross name. The same applies to the Macross baseball cap, the Macross Super Posables, and the DYRL SP's.

Not sure about the chronology of the licensing relative to the Yamato/Toycom fiasco (and perhaps the VFX-2 cancellation). Anyway, it's a suspicion I've had for a while.

Apparently the Madman R4 release of Macross shouldn't be affected by this, in the words of their message board admin

(it)* Will not affect us, as we licensed it directly from Harmony Gold, NOT AnimEigo. Our rights are still very much valid.

So hopefully it will still be available officially from Australia for a while.

*added to make it slightly clearer

I went ahead and ordered all three box sets...tis gonna be a very merry Christmas indeed!

Question for everyone. Do either of you have multiple copies of the box sets? One opened and the other not opened? The more I think about it...the more unsure I am of wanting to open my box sets.... I do have them on the comp......

I went ahead and ordered all three box sets...tis gonna be a very merry Christmas indeed!

Question for everyone. Do either of you have multiple copies of the box sets? One opened and the other not opened? The more I think about it...the more unsure I am of wanting to open my box sets.... I do have them on the comp......

Too rich for my blood.

Besides, I've never understood the whole "mint in sealed box" mentality. I buy stuff to use, not to sit in a box under a shelf collecting dust.

It's the fact that it's still "brand new" and that it may go up in value some day...that's how I see it.

Yep. I'm ususally with JBO on this sort of thing 100% all the way but this time I decided that I should get another. You never know what the future holds and I don't plan on buying any new Macross sets should they ever occur. So I just took a sealed original 9 disc set off ebay.

They could renew, but why? If not on a royatly-only charge, it wouldn't be cost effective.

Dub it? Again, who would want that? The most die-hard RT fan has already bought the series twice, and that's what some of you guys are doing. Who would do it three times? Wording-wise, RT: TMS and Macross aren't that different.

Animego's already got enough money from me to where I could have bought two sets at the current rate; they'll be alright.

They could renew, but why? If not on a royatly-only charge, it wouldn't be cost effective.

Dub it? Again, who would want that? The most die-hard RT fan has already bought the series twice, and that's what some of you guys are doing. Who would do it three times? Wording-wise, RT: TMS and Macross aren't that different.

I think that when the next Macross series rolls around or somewhere down the line, they'll probably consider re-releasing the series in some "Signature/Essentials" edition. Something for the next crop of fans. But really, that wouldn't be cost effective.

As for RT... well, they already put out 2 editions plus various release formats (single, mini-box, complete box).... For Macross there was the original boxset for us who wanted it all, now. The mini-boxes and the single disc releases for everybody else. And that was it. I'm surprised there wasn't a super-deluxe-must-have RT collection that was put out.

Animego's already got enough money from me to where I could have bought two sets at the current rate; they'll be alright.

The problem with that rationale is if you're buying the Robotech DVDs and trying to call them Macross you've got another thing coming. The RT fans are idiots. They've bought the same poorly dubbed, poorly edited crap again and again, first on VHS, then DVD, and now a remastered DVD to "the director's cut" which is just adding half the stuff they cut to make it fit before. As a former RT fan, I can safely tell you that the quality of each successive "remastering" of Robotech, the quality of the product gets lower and lower. RT Remastered is plagued by some problems as fundamental as disc formatting and errors on disc.

Sure, TMS and Macross share animation, but there's a whole world of difference between the dubbing, the editing and the overall quality of the work.

This, to me, reeks of a Harmony Gold attempt to remove potential competition for their new Robotech series, which the guys on my website dubbed Shadow Farce before they changed the title from Shadow Force to Shadow Chronicles.

Mind you they'll probably whore the liscence to ADV once Shadow Farce goes under (and there is no doubt in my mind that it will flop abysmally and drag Harmony Gold into the red on project budget once more), or maybe if we're extremely lucky, give it back to Animeigo at a bargain price.

Either way we lose.

DVD's are meant to be watched. The only thing I keep mint in boxes are the toys and comics I collect. Other than that, I keep everything for their purpose including DVD's. ^^v I'm hoping my Dad got the email I sent him so he can order me boxed sets two and three (I only have the first boxed set from Otakon this year).

Anyone know if this is true: DVD's will deteriorate faster laying flat than right side up in its case??? I've got my DVDs' right side up.

I've never heard anything like that for DVDs....but for DVD players and the likes....I've heard that for the PS and PS2 it helps the lens live longer or some poo like that. The DVD Players are probably the same way...but I'm no expert so.....

This, to me, reeks of a Harmony Gold attempt to remove potential competition for their new Robotech series

Uh... lets step back to reality here. SDF Macross is not competition for the Shadow Chronicles. Not now, not ever.

The target audiences of the two are polar opposites.

Dub it?  Again, who would want that?

Oh I don't know, maybe the vast majority of anime fans who don't watch subtitled cartoons perhaps.

Dub it?  Again, who would want that?

Oh I don't know, maybe the vast majority of anime fans who don't watch subtitled cartoons perhaps.

Whether anime fans who don't watch subtitled cartoons are a majority or not, I think the question is, how many of them would be significantly interested in seeing a dubbed Macross when there's already "The Macross Saga" of Robotech.

In other words, the people who want to see the original Macross are not necessarily representative of anime fans in general. I'd expect a higher number of "purists" among them, who are the sort who dislike or at least don't need dubs. The market of people who will only buy SDF Macross (or who will buy it again) if it has a dub may not justify the costs of production.

Anyone know if this is true: DVD's will deteriorate faster laying flat than right side up in its case??? I've got my DVDs' right side up.

I think that's phonograph records...

Hypotehtically a DVD should last longer stored horizontally, as it puts less stress on the glue holding everything together. But it's such a trivial diffrence that it doesn't matter.

Store them like you do CDs, unless you're the barbarian that stores CDs in large naked stacks.

There was a big discussion about this when people started noticing some of ADV's dvd's going bad over at the AoD forums. It was decided that storing them upright (vertically) was better for tham then horizontally (laying down), and sotring them horizontally put more stress on the various layers, causing them to seperate in time, letting air in, and tarnishing the data layer.

Just for the record, how long SHOULD a DVD last, given normal treatment?

They could renew, but why?  If not on a royatly-only charge, it wouldn't be cost effective.

Dub it?  Again, who would want that?  The most die-hard RT fan has already bought the series twice, and that's what some of you guys are doing.  Who would do it three times?  Wording-wise, RT: TMS and Macross aren't that different.

The problem with that rationale is if you're buying the Robotech DVDs and trying to call them Macross you've got another thing coming. The RT fans are idiots. They've bought the same poorly dubbed, poorly edited crap again and again, first on VHS, then DVD, and now a remastered DVD to "the director's cut" which is just adding half the stuff they cut to make it fit before. As a former RT fan, I can safely tell you that the quality of each successive "remastering" of Robotech, the quality of the product gets lower and lower. RT Remastered is plagued by some problems as fundamental as disc formatting and errors on disc.

Sure, TMS and Macross share animation, but there's a whole world of difference between the dubbing, the editing and the overall quality of the work.

This, to me, reeks of a Harmony Gold attempt to remove potential competition for their new Robotech series, which the guys on my website dubbed Shadow Farce before they changed the title from Shadow Force to Shadow Chronicles.

Mind you they'll probably whore the liscence to ADV once Shadow Farce goes under (and there is no doubt in my mind that it will flop abysmally and drag Harmony Gold into the red on project budget once more), or maybe if we're extremely lucky, give it back to Animeigo at a bargain price.

Either way we lose.

The thing I was trying to say is even the more die-hard RT fans probably wouldn't want it, because who could even justify buying the same thing 3 times, even with successive "improvements"? And what could they add that would make us want to buy it again? I just see the whole "Evil-Sceme-To-Cheat-Animego-Out-Of-Their-Hard-Earned-Work" theory to be mute, becuase no one would make much out of the series by now anyways, no matter how you package it.

There was a big discussion about this when people started noticing some of ADV's dvd's going bad over at the AoD forums. It was decided that storing them upright (vertically) was better for tham then horizontally (laying down), and sotring them horizontally put more stress on the various layers, causing them to seperate in time, letting air in, and tarnishing the data layer.

Now we know both A. that the disks last longer vertically(which seems counter-intuitive to me, but whatever), and B. ADV has really crappy glue.

oh grow up. Stop looking for a conspiracy when their obviously isn't one.

So I guess ADV will stop producing Robotrash DVDs too so they don't compete with the new Robotrash show? yeah right. Macross had a good run. These are probably just the terms of HG/Animeigo's agreement that was made a few years ago. But I wouldn't be surprised if HG doesn't liscense the show to ADV down the road. They gotta milk that cow some more.

I'll be making back up copies of my Macross DVD set. Funny I thought they'd have copy protection :ph34r:

Edited by dejr8bud

I'll be making back up copies of my Macross DVD set. Funny I thought they'd have copy protection :ph34r:

Hypothetically they do.

As it turns out, the method they implemented is worthless as copy protection.

It only ensures that A. you have to pay a license fee to make legal players, B. regional lockouts are enforced on legal players,. and C. it's a pain in the ass to get specific clips out of the show, because the data IS encrypted, but it only stops you if you want to do something besides a straight bit-for-bit copy.

Hypothetically they do.

As it turns out, the method they implemented is worthless as copy protection.

It only ensures that A. you have to pay a license fee to make legal players, B. regional lockouts are enforced on legal players,. and C. it's a pain in the ass to get specific clips out of the show, because the data IS encrypted, but it only stops you if you want to do something besides a straight bit-for-bit copy.

I see what you mean. I tried a one of my back ups on a Japanese PS2 that can play DVD+Rs(Pearl White, SCPH 50000 I think) and the region restriction message popped up. And then I tried the backup on a my US launch PS2(30001) which has never been able to play a DVD+Rs and it worked just fine...wierd

For those who own the AnimEigo Macross DVDs, did they do an English overlay? Or did they keep all the original Japanese text and whatnot on the opening, ending, etc.?

Just curious about that, and how's the extras? I heard there's commentary from Noboru Ishiguro on some of the episodes too.

Anyway info would be greatful. =)

EDIT: Yes I prefer the original Japanese overlay.

Edited by KoOkyKyoji

they actually did something very different with the intro credits. They used a textless version, & soft dvd supped all the credits in (meaning you can turn them off & watch just the animation from the intro). The end credits are the regular Japanese credits, with the trasnlation for them being in the dvd menu. There however is no japanese credit version of hte intro included.

Oh that's pretty neat, well if I'm able to get them in time, then I know it'll be worth it. Thanks for the heads up, and a follow up question, I know AnimEigo's are completely remastered, but how well does the R2 release compare to it? I don't know if Bandai Visual used a remastered print or not, but I have seen pics of the AnimEigo version and I can say that they're awesome. =)

That's an interesting question. While AnimEigo did remaster a print, which does look very good, the print they remastered was the one Harmony Gold has been sitting on for 20 years. Bandai used an entirely different print, which by indications looks pretty good in itself. Harmony Gold apparently prevented AnimEigo from getting vidoe masters from Big West/Bandai. Although they did somehow manage to get the audio tracks from Japan.

The audio tracks and all of that would have come from HG, as they were supposedly given telecine masters direct from Tat when they first concluded the deal in '84-'85 that inflicted us with Robotech. Those masters, IWA, included the magnetic/optical soundtracks on the film itself (most of the surface of a piece of motion picture film is given over to the picture, but a part of the edge just inside of the sprocket holes is used to encode sound either magnetically or optically)

I know AnimEigo's are completely remastered, but how well does the R2 release compare to it? I don't know if Bandai Visual used a remastered print or not, but I have seen pics of the AnimEigo version and I can say that they're awesome. =)

Check Macrossworld's own comparison - http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/..._comparison.htm

The R2's do not fare well.

While they do have, in my opinion, vastly superior color (Animeigo tweaked the colors far too much for my liking, and at times things got badly oversaturated) they are inferior in just about every other regard.

Less clarity, more film errors, scratches, poorer encoding, etc.