The SMT Monster 1/100 resin kit

Less than Super Ostrich

Good news everyone... I hear that SMT is getting close to production on its 1/100 scale MONSTER! It is designed by Gundamhead who has recently brought us the Spiderbug. I've pre-ordered my Monster and I can't wait... SMT uses high quality resin for all their products. SMT recently announced that he is reducing the price from $170 to $153. You can see more info here:

http://smt.theshoppe.com/Destroid_Monster.html

Yes I have been watching this for 6 months now. THey are NOT fully done with it yet. and The pics dont show much detail to the kit, However i know there is more. Waiting to see what they are going to do with Decals and other things. the Pic was finally put there 2 weeks ago.

Ranger

i have the dropship. i have to rebuild it though it didnt take well to being shipped across the atlantic. the thing is huge. its over 2 feet long. my only gripe is that the missile pod booms sag after a while even though they are made from a tougher resin and the landing gear struts werent metal. im going to look into making replacement struts with brass rod. the struts on the studio model and the 1/1 set dressing were taken from an avro vulcan bomber. i may also look for a 1/48 metal set of vulcan struts.

i really want that monster. the 72 scale one would be better but i have no place to keep it.

Who else is going to buy this? I am surprised there is not more hype about this on these boards. Is it because of the IHP recast project?

To be fair, it's also a fairly expensive project too. I'm sure it will live up to SMT's name quality wise, but when you get into the $170 price range you're going to lose the casual modeler who won't or can't spend that on a single kit.

In my personal experience, it's better to master something you like, and not something you think others might. Takes the fun out and turns it to business only.

So, in my defense, when I did this guy, 1/100 was still the scale prefered for Macross models. You can get just about every mech in 1/100 for a reasonable price. It was also the only scale to have all four of the other Destroids. (This was before 1/144 resin guys) I wouldn't count 1/100 out, there's quite a few cool kits still.

Oh yeah, my primary reason for doing him was I wanted one in 1/100. :p I'm a model builder, what can I say? B)) Someday, I will have 3 Monsters and a gaggle of Tomahawk, Spartan and Defenders side to side standing in the open door of the Daedalus in 1/100 about to unleash Hell. :DB)) Oh yeah. B))

1/72 was and is the much more expensive scale. Take out Hasagawa, and the 1/72 line up is very expensive.

The other reson was size. The kit I made in 1/100 is roughly 16" long, 9" tall and 12" wide. When I made and sold a few of these guys, they were solid and weighed a little over 5 pounds. You'll just have to take my word that it is massive for any model. It cost me about $800.00 to mold a few and cast them, never mind any of my time, which was substantial, or any of my supplies. The few I sold fetched about $250.00 each and just about enough to cover my expenses. Which meant my kit only cost my time and supplies which was fine because I wanted one in 1/100 to begin with.

That would mean my Monster in 1/72 would become 22" long, 17" wide, and 12.5" tall. It'd also mean a bit over 7 pounds of resin. Nobody could afford that except a privalaged few. I'd never make back what went into the costs, neverminding my time or supplies again. Nevermind the shelf he'd hog. :D

Somebody in Japan did a 1/72 Monster already. It was even bootlegged, so you might still find a few. Spend some time fixing the inacuracies on it, and it will look cool. B))

Oh yeah, my primary reason for doing him was I wanted one in 1/100.  I'm a model builder, what can I say?  Someday, I will have 3 Monsters and a gaggle of Tomahawk, Spartan and Defenders side to side standing in the open door of the Daedalus in 1/100 about to unleash Hell

ROFL Gunmdamhead Thats Exactly My idea of What I would also Love too do. I am amazed you had the same Idea as I did

Ranger565

Edited by Ranger565

one thing about SMT is they make to order so once you order you may have to wait a few weeks before your kit is even poured and then it takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive. you have to be patient with them. plus they recently lost a big money maker. they were served a CND from lucasfilm to stop production on their starwars kits. i was about to order their 1/48 scale ATAT and snowspeeder. they also had a 1/48 scale milennium falcon on they way.

SMT does other things besides models... I hear they were casting stuff for another purpose. Not to mention that Colin was ripped off by a rogue employee this summer. I hear he is back on track now, but that is not confirmed.

His timing is VERY long, though... but worth the wait... I have a Y-wing and an AT-AT that I am very pleased with.

OK, without any of the "HG Sux" flaming here, can someone tell me whether or not HG has contacted SMT regarding this kit, or have they been mum on it?

It's fairly well know in the anime modeling community that this kit is being made, so it's hard to think that HG wouldn't have been told about it by someone who trolls these forums, at the very least.

Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still been eyeballing this, anyone received a kit from him yet? I wanted to get one of these but with the delays and such I was hesitant to pre-order. Mostly I wanted to know if anyone had received one, or if anyone had any word from the creator in the past few weeks?

I think the Monster should have gone to another caster. SMT is too slow. I understand that they are basically a one-man operation. But they have too much on thier plate if that is true. They are kinda hogging a lot of stuff. I also don't like paying up front for product that hasn't been made yet. The concept of pre-ordering garage kits is a little bit of a streach for me.

SMT got my masters May 2003. I can't even count how many kits were done since then. 20+? I'm not saying mine should have come before his bigger money makers, but it's just too long. If the Monster is still in limbo this May, I'm telling him I'd like the masters back. I'll find somebody else.

SMT does great work, but I agree, they seem to try too much in too short a time. All the while taking orders before getting caught up.

If you pull the masters from SMT and find a better,quicker caster ill get one.I was disappointed by SMT and its production ethics in the past when i ordered my dropship. i had to wait about 6 months for that too,and to top it off they FORGOT to ship it ontime to begin with you might want to send another Email LTSO if you havnt already. i think this monster looks great and would love to have one to add to my collection.

Now starting new group monsterholics anon. :D

Hello everyoe my name is sean and im a monsterholic.

amen brother. i'm a monsterholic too.

I have conflicting feelings about SMT. The stuff they make is great when you finally get it. Colin seems like a very nice guy too. And frankly, we need some good casters out there like SMT. So I want to be really encouraging. But like everyone else... I get frustrated when he bites off more than he can chew.