[scopedog] psst..

Shaggydog

"...One hundred lucky buyers of the Votoms DVD Memorial Box will receive a special "Odon Battle" 1:12 Scopedog recolor...

Is this US or Japan?

Dunno?

Most likely Japan I assume. The DVD box set comes out there in Febuary I think. Only 100,000 yen( $1000.00 or so) :blink: . Hopefully a new US version is coming since the original DVD release wasn't that good.

Edited by dejr8bud

People who argue semantics are gay. :p  This Scopedog is definately not. ;)

Heh. :D

Yes, racist, sexist and homophobic views, so deeply entrenched in today's frightened hate-filled society that they pop up in everyday conversation without any thought is just pointless semantics.

Gypped out of any deals lately?

"Gypped" was a term propigated by the fun-loving Nazi party, in reference to Gypsies, who nobody (except other Gypsies it seems) liked. Nobody cares about them now (moslty because they were all killed) and use the term "Gypped"widely without any thought whatsoever. The term used to be "Jewed" until people starting thinking that was wrong. Why not bring back "Jewed" and "Niggered" and "Chinked"?

Semantics.

:unsure:

As for the Scopedog, won't it have to have a tonne of modifications if it is to be any other version? I thought the Brutish Dog, my fave (cuz it's pink :p ) had different feet.

Ideas?

Actually, the term "gay" means "happy, bright, lively, cheerful, or light-heartedly excited." It is also the name of three towns (Gay, GA; Gay, MI; and Gay, WV) as well as a now rarely used girl's name. The homosexual community, in order to make themselves more "acceptable" to the mainstream majority, chose to refer to themselves as "gay" to erase the negative stereotype associated with their lifestyle choice. Prior to the 1970's, the use of the word "gay" had no connotation with the homosexual community.

Considering that words only mean what we want them to mean, changing the word "gay" to mean "stupid" is no more offensive than changing it from "happy, bright, lively, cheerful, or light-heartedly excited" to mean "a (male) homosexual." Unless all the happy, bright, lively, cheerful, or light-heartedly excited people in the world are offended by the word "gay" now meaing "a (male) homosexual." The homosexual community does not have the exclusive use of the word.

That must be some kind of a record for the most quotation marks used in a post.

Actually, the term "gay" means "happy, bright, lively, cheerful, or light-heartedly excited." It is also the name of three towns (Gay, GA; Gay, MI; and Gay, WV) as well as a now rarely used girl's name. The homosexual community, in order to make themselves more "acceptable" to the mainstream majority, chose to refer to themselves as "gay" to erase the negative stereotype associated with their lifestyle choice. Prior to the 1970's, the use of the word "gay" had no connotation with the homosexual community.

Regardless, presently the "gay" = "homosexual" definition is much more common in actual use, at least in the US. Certainly when I was in school, the older definition was treated as the exception and not the rule. And you're not going to tell me that a phrase like "that thing looks so gay" is meant to imply that it looks happy.

Besides, Wikipedia's entry on "gay" contradicts what you've just said, dating the tie with homosexuality back to the 19th century, with more substantial examples in the early 20th.

I'd like it if the term weren't used as an insult based on its association with homosexuality. But I also think that it's important to not overreact when that happens. People might think you're queer or something. :lol: But mostly the angrier you get, the more people will be inclined to rebel against your request rather than honor it.

That Zaku picture is a riot. :) I love the Scopedog, but I can't justify that kind of money for a Scopedog toy. A really excellent Scopedog model kit, maybe, but not a toy. (I'm mostly into kits... though I do enjoy the occasional well-produced toy.) I also want more accessories. The Scopedog is just a little plain-looking when scaled up that big.

Wow... the toy looks huge.  Can you fit a 3" action figure into the cockpit?

Considering that they're selling a 3" action figure to go with it, I assume so.

3"? HAH! You can fit a 6" figure in there because that's what their sellling.

That thing is in 1/12 scale well if we're talking about the new Yamato Release then YES!

We should be happy. :D

Roger H. over at ToyboxDX has some more info on upcoming VOTOMS goodness:

12.20.04: Yamato VOTOMS News

News from Yamato about future VOTOMS products:

The second Scopedog will be the Melkian soldier version. This is the purplish-greyish variant you see in the first episode. Aside from the color, the toy will be identical to the green version, and include the same accessories.

The first accessory pack will include the ATP-BP01-ST Parachute Zack and the GAT-22C rifle. The former will not actually deploy a parachute (not that any of us are willing to throw ours off a roof), and the latter is the short-barrel version of the rifle that's currently included with the Scopedogs.

The second accessory pack will include the ATC-BR01-S Round Mover backpack for space missions, and the SAT-03 Solid Shooter bazooka.

The ATM-09-GC Brutishdog and a Fyana figure are currently being designed. It hasn't been decided whether these will be sold together as a set, or separately.

The first exclusive Scopedog, the Odon Battle version (used by Chirico in the Roots of Treachery OAV) has been reported at Zinc Panic here: Zinc Panic Radar

The second exclusive Scopedog will be a box set including a Red Shoulder Scopedog with Chirico and sold at Toys R Us stores in Japan. Aside from the one red shoulder, the toy will be identical to the green version, and include the same accessories.

No price information is available on these, nor have any of these been slated for American release yet, but keep watching this space for updates!

--Roger

Time to sign-up for that OVERTIME or get a SECOND JOB, boys!!!! :D

nice looking insides for it as well, i wish the q-rau could have looked that good on the inside. it is a shame that i am so short on cash and do not know to much about this franchise, i am almost tempted to pick this up.

• 2 weeks later...

yikes purple :blink: i like the green one better, is this toy already out? i looked all over ebay and could not find any, how much is it going for it looks nice as well as big, always a plus in my book.

I don't get this one,

Why, since the molds are done and all the yada yada around developping such a toy, why is it not sold in the US already ?

can someone explain this to me. Is there licencing issues ?

I've wondered that, too. Seems like an unusually large span of time between the Us and JP release. Is it possible that there are plans to air the Votoms series in the US this spring and they want the toy to coincide with that? Just speculation.

I don't get this one,

Why, since the molds are done and all the yada yada around developping such a toy, why is it not sold in the US already ?

No license issues thankfully. Yamato's domestic (US)releases usually come a few months after the import. Why? I dunno. lol ;)

I don't get this one,

I've wondered that, too. Seems like an unusually large span of time between the Us and JP release. Is it possible that there are plans to air the Votoms series in the US this spring and they want the toy to coincide with that? Just speculation.

Comcast on Demand has benn running Votoms for a few months now. They're slow a crap about it though. It's been about 3 months and they're only up to episode 8. <_<

I don't get this one,

Comcast on Demand has benn running Votoms for a few months now. They're slow a crap about it though. It's been about 3 months and they're only up to episode 8. <_<

Guess that shows how much someone with rabbit-ears on his TV knows about current television programming. :lol:

OK, I know next to nothing about this "Bottoms" show, but I have heard that the red shoulder version of the Scopedog has been released and it is a TRU exclusive.

(PS: Yes, I know the real name of the show, I just wanted to be in line with the cheerfully gay tone of this thread. ;) )

Edited by Renato

question? why do the us vendors(ve,twinmoons,ect) have this(scopedog) listed for pre order if it's already out?

Because only the expensive Japan only release is out so far. The cheaper international release for the US market and the rest of the world doesn't come out until March I think.

IIRC there is about a US$60 price difference between the two. However, it's not known at this time whether the international release will differ in any way, i.e. packaging, quality, features or material.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...