Guess who I found lurking in UY?

Pat Payne

...that he wasn't invited! Misa, Minmay, Vanessa, Kim and Shammy all appear in a cameo in an episode of UY vol. 13, entertaining Onsen-Mark as he masquerades as Urushima-Taro for Lum's New Year's Party. I'll see about getting screencaps later.

Here's a screencap from the episode on UY volume 14... Some of the hair colors have been changed by Oishii Mamoru to protect the innocent... The episode was done in December, 1982, so there would have been ample time for a Macross reference to occur to the crew of Urusei Yatsura, who were not shy about making joke references to other anime or TV shows

post-2-1101634907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat Payne

Urusei Yatsura has got to have the most parody cameos of any anime series to date. The other day I saw an episode where Megane had a full on meltdown and suddenly there were tie fighters, x-wings, Darth Vader and even Admiral Ackbar all over the screen. Then there was the episode with a costume masked ball party where a few characters dressed up as Char Aznable, a Zaku, E.T. and even Alien.

Edited by Seven

What's this show about, overally? :)

Short answer, it's kind of like Seinfeld - the show about nothing and anything. Slightly longer answer - alien girl and lecher high school boy and their friends get involved in all sorts of bizarre plots. The TV series and 2 of the movies were directed by none other than Mamoru Oshii himself. It is probably one of the most popular anime series to be aired in Japan and is also the funniest in my opinion. Some people won't like it due to the wacky humor, early 80s animation, and disco inspired music, but it definitely is a classic.

What's this show about, overally?  :)

Short answer, it's kind of like Seinfeld - the show about nothing and anything. Slightly longer answer - alien girl and lecher high school boy and their friends get involved in all sorts of bizarre plots. The TV series and 2 of the movies were directed by none other than Mamoru Oshii himself. It is probably one of the most popular anime series to be aired in Japan and is also the funniest in my opinion. Some people won't like it due to the wacky humor, early 80s animation, and disco inspired music, but it definitely is a classic.

Don't know whether its directed by mamoru oshii....but more importantly its written by Takahashi Rumiko-sensei, writer/creator of all things funny and (and long) whacky like Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Maisson Ikkoku and many others.

http://www.animenfo.com/person,6,azamei,takahashi_rumik.html

Interesting trivia I heard recently about the movies (can't remember where though)...

Mamoru Oshii at the time kept getting sent razor blades hidden in envelopes from die-hard Urusei Yatsura fanboys because they claimed his interpretation of the characters and the show, to paraphrase, "raped their childhood".

Huh.

What's this show about, overally? :)

The engine that drives Urusei Yatsura is that a total loser called Ataru Moroboshi lands himself the hottest girl in his sector of the Galaxy - Lum, who really needs no introduction - and he *isn't interested in her*, preferring to chase every other sentinent being in a skirt instead, much to the annoyance of the many, many other people who would like to be that close to Lum.

Throw in an entire universe full of samurai, Lego ninjas, aliens, giant robots, dimensional rifts, biker babes from Mars, ice queens from Neptune, ogres, octopi, and much other weirdness, all of whom can drop in at any time, and you have Urusei Yatsura in a nutshell...

Mamoru Oshii at the time kept getting sent razor blades hidden in envelopes from die-hard Urusei Yatsura fanboys because they claimed his interpretation of the characters and the show, to paraphrase, "raped their childhood".

Hmmm. And here I thought that phrase only got applied to Lucas...

...that he wasn't invited! Misa, Minmay, Vanessa, Kim and Shammy all appear in a cameo in an episode of UY vol. 13, entertaining Onsen-Mark as he masquerades as Urushima-Taro for Lum's New Year's Party. I'll see about getting screencaps later.

Thats so damn cool! <orders Lum vol 13> Thanks for that Pat.

Interesting trivia I heard recently about the movies (can't remember where though)...

Huh.

Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer is the one movie I'm certain he directed. It's easily one of the best animated films of all time, but it is a bit odd for UY. It's more of an Oshii film using the UY character designs, much in the same way that Castle of Cagliostro is a great Miyazaki film, but not really a Lupin film.

there are so many cameos in the first 15 or 20 minutes of beautiful dreamer it isnt funny. darth vader is in it so is spiderman,ultraman, and godzilla to name a few. even ridley scott/H.R.Geigers alien is in it. yes mamoru oshii did direct it and the first movie. if you watch jin roh on dvd on the features disc he says he did.

Edited by HWR MKII