1. 1. What attracted you to macross?

• Valks('cos they're so cool)
    • The war story
    • The romance
    • 'cos I just like anime
    • I like sci-fi in general
    • Retro theme
    • The songs

Valks! Ive always loved flying and planes. And well big robots piloted by humans (mecha) are great too. After that is the Love story in every series. (M7 w/ its lack of action between Gamlin and Mylen! Just hold hands or kiss....DO SUMTHING!) The love story is what keeps my attention really. But when Valks come out my eyes just light up. Plus the whole "impossible to win" war theme in SDF showed Humans 'never give up' spirit of fighting till the end. They took a Gamble and won. :p

It's definitely the Valkyries, when i saw the macross tv series i instantly fell in love with the VF-1's and there ability to transfrom from fighter to gerwalk then to battloid/battroid and back again. When I first saw rick hunter do that in the middle of the first zentraedi attack on macross island/south atria (correct me if wrong) thats the exact moment i was hooked to macross. Later on in the series I fell in love even further with the VF-1S aka Skull One in its strike valkyrie modification, it has to be the coolest of all the VF-1s in the entire series.

Then i became even more hooked to the macross universe when i first saw macross plus and the wicked yf-19 and yf-21 prototypes, the yf-19 with its cool forward swept wing design and the yf-21's female zentraedi female power armor look in battroid mode, BCS-BDI combo, and off couse the dodging of multiple missiles by charging right at them. And lets not forget, the first ever mecha fist fight using PBS (Pinpoint Barrier System) and the first killing of a full size zentraedi pilot in his renegade power armor by Isamu off course using the VF-11's bayonet.

Later i was awestruck again, this time by macross zero, when i saw for the first time a macross VF rendered in CGI transform from fighter to battroid in glorious detail and intercept missles using its head mounted lasers. BTW I really like the full armored VF variant looks very wicked!!!

Edited by grss1982

Not necessarily. The Zjentohlauedy are not unwillingly goverened. It is the distruction of the individual that I draw the parallel from.

One interesting thing about them is that they've had the flow of information controlled and in some respects the minute they've been born (or grown from the cloning chamber) they've probably been conditioned to believe that what they were doing was right. Not that they were evil or bad or that fighting and destruction is just a tool used by the people supplying them to gain the right to have something. That would only make thier masters look bad to them. Nope: the leaders would pimp the idea that "fighting is the very reason for living".

If anything I think zentradi are victims of disinformation. I use that because the pc relied more on the lack of the zentradi to be able to check what they were being told was true and also the fact that we were forgotten about by the pc so there was no campaign to paint us as being bad.

The music and culture we humans had would have seemed alien to them and very very nice, to thier senses, our structure of living not something they would want to willingly destroy. The only reason they react so funny to the music is because of the conditioning they've been given that everything is related to being a weapon of some sort. It's not so much that they are dumb, but that they were victims of disinfo. If the alien enemies knew our way of living they would finally realise the lies the pc had filled thier minds with. (that is why they were given the legend that the micrones would destroy the zentradi, if they didn't leave them alone) The must have interpreted the word destroy to have meant something to do with a hidden power or secret weapon we had. No wonder exedol was so paranoid about everything in the tv series.

I think in the future once people's views on cloning is relaxed, biotech companies will try to push the idea of clone super soldiers with abilities taken from people where it would be advantageous to survival. Biotech companies = todays pc. :D Face it we are already at the stage where people can have designer babies.

In sci fi movies like alien ressurection where ripley kills her own baby (ok so it is a monster) it could be seen as a silent conditioning of the masses to accept abortion. What might seem humane to some, can easily be flipped to be inhumane to others. If you were an alien and your GF were pregnant with an alien baby would she destroy it? Contrast the scenes in alien ressurection where ripley kills her clones and the alien baby to the scene in macross where miriya and max are happy to have an alien-human hybrid daughter. They both stir the emotions, but the alien ressurection one is more blatant imo because the baby wants to live and even showed it could express love.

If they wanted to make macross really realistic, I would say there would be a number of groups in the macross world who would be totally against that. The child would probably grow up abused and teased by other kids, discriminated against, and maybe in danger of being beaten up. :D Maybe even teachers would reject the politcaly correct need to teach history that satisfies both accounts of the war and make the zentradi out to be only monsterous and the humans culture perfect. (ommitting the teachings of past wars in our human histrory from the zentradi - don;t want to give a bad impression now do we? :D )

This is why I proposed a new macross series where the zentradi revolt against the un be made so that there could be another space war. It would be more like macross plus with action and lessed drama, where the attention was focused on earth again. Without a big war, and reason for split, it loses the epic scale that the original series had. In this story the humans would be the one experiencing xenophobia and fear from sw I survivors, while the zents struggle for equal treatment but don't get it. This then brings a need for independance from the un by pureblooded zentradi. Obviosly the anti un wouldn't be a threat forever, but a force as large as 50% of the population being lead by a dictator who had enormous power to command his own army, buy the media, influence votes would justify a massive war. In that sense it would take the ideas from macross II from the point of view of somebody working within the media as an indy journalist who nobody listens to because they've been led to believe war has ended forever after sw I.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I don't think I can deicide for any of those points.... In the first was, of course, the valks when I saw it in RoboCrap, back in '85. I was very young then. As I growed, and nowdays, is the story itself. The love triangle, the horror of war and how every character move through it. It's what I have in my mind right now...

Well said! Same here too.

I first saw it on RoboTech. Now I'm obsessed with Macross - especially after I saw DYRL! Oh man o man, was I blown away after I saw DYRL! :o

I like it all - the incredibily cool mecha, the nice storyline (admit it, it's kinda cool to think that aliens fiddled around and created your ancestors ;) ), the romance and the awesome charecters.

Now, I'm completely taken over my Roy Fokker (Focker).