Welcome to the Jungle

JsARCLIGHT

Has anyone found a way to keep your "sex appeal" level? Every time I seem to boost it it just goes back down... sometimes it even goes all the way down to zero after being about half full...

... and for the record my guy is affectionately called by me "LL Cool Hammer". He is shirtless, wearing bright jogging pants with same color shoes (they where green but have since changed color) with a like color bucket hat and a gold chain. My guy is buff to the max (maximum muscle and about half full stamina) and of course is covered with gang tats (hence the no shirt rule). Under his bucket hat he has a MC Hammer slope haircut but you can't see it. All that got my sex appeal up to almost half but then after a while it went back down to zero...

Has anyone found a clothing store that sells something other than street trash or gang clothes yet? I want LL Cool Hammer to sport a slick suit rather than his current rags.

Edit: Does anyone else also wonder how the transition from PS2 to PC port of this title will fair? There seems to be a bit too much button mashing in San Andreas and I wonder how they will translate that to the PC... what with the whole "hold down the keyboard key for rapid repeat" thing.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I finally played it last night... I wish there were an english audiotrack in this game. I have no clue what these idiots are saying. Is there like a "Jive 101" book out there?

OH MAN!! I can't wait to get this game....

I LOVED both GTAs... I actually "missed" Vice City.... As the credit were rolling and they were showing screen shots of the city, I felt a sadness... That I would never see that city again... It's funny, but true!

I'm glad that the few here that are already playing the game are really liking it... Maybe I won't wait for the price to drop a little.

I finally played it last night... I wish there were an english audiotrack in this game. I have no clue what these idiots are saying. Is there like a "Jive 101" book out there?

Dude how old are you? no one under 45, even if they are white would still use the term "Jive" anymore. Would they? Man it's not the 70's.

I finally played it last night... I wish there were an english audiotrack in this game.  I have no clue what these idiots are saying.  Is there like a "Jive 101" book out there?

Dude how old are you? no one under 45, even if they are white would still use the term "Jive" anymore. Would they? Man it's not the 70's.

I am 28... What should I call it then? Ebonics? African-American Vernacular? Gheto street lingo? Mush Mouth?

I call it "Jive" because I feel that all other terms that refer to it are just lame or mean.

Does anybody know where I can download a tool to mirror my monitor display? (no, I'm not going to hold a real mirror  next to it <_< )

It gives vice city a whole different view and fun to play... ofcourse you have to edit controls since left is right and vice versa :) And yes it doesn't matter if u see Russian on your screen. ;)

Can you explain why you want to do this?

If you mirror vice city's world... then you'll get a different view and get new excitement! :rolleyes:

No world editors support that option, so I have no choice

I finally played it last night... I wish there were an english audiotrack in this game.  I have no clue what these idiots are saying.  Is there like a "Jive 101" book out there?

Google search for Ebonic to English

Ebonics Translater

holy froating head = holy froating head you know das right!

:o:lol::lol::D

Well.. after watchin some funny flash movies > learnin ebonics.... I know a few slangs now.

Hello sir = Waddup dog?

These are fine shoes you got there = Drop them Nikes off your ass before I blast your head motherfarter

..... the rest I forgot.. :ph34r:

I am 28... What should I call it then? Ebonics? African-American Vernacular? Gheto street lingo? Mush Mouth?

I call it "Jive" because I feel that all other terms that refer to it are just lame or mean.

I'm sorry man, I was just playin' with you. That term "Jive" is so dated that it bugs me. I don't like most of the others either. but from your list I would go with Gheto street lingo (seems most fitting) out of everything else you listed. :D

I have not tried this yet but, but if you put the subs on I think everything is in "regular" english.

Edited by NSJ23

I'm sorry man, I was just playin' with you. That term "Jive" is so dated that it bugs me. I don't like most of the others either. but from your list I would go with Gheto street lingo (seems most fitting) out of everything else you listed. :D

Yeah, but 70's retro is "in" right now. Soooooooo....

I have not tried this yet but, but if you put the subs on I think everything is in "regular" english.

AH! Briliant, I forgot about that. I will give it a shot and I will let you know.

Last night when I was playing, these guys were having this conversation, then all of a sudden they took off and someone was shooting. If I had been able to understand the conversation I might have been ready for that. I hope turning the subs on will solve my problem.

Oh and on the terminology thing... don't you think the word "gheto" is kinda mean? It is really a socio-economic term, which I would find insulting even if I lived in a less than fortunate area.

I myself am a bit put off by the constant unrelenting cussing... I mean, I know I myself have been known to have a bit of a boonie rap when you rile me up but sheesh... every other word from some of the in game characters is a swear word.

Makes me miss Tommy Vercetti... he was downright clean spoken compared to the new cast.

I myself am a bit put off by the constant unrelenting cussing... I mean, I know I myself have been known to have a bit of a boonie rap when you rile me up but sheesh... every other word from some of the in game characters is a swear word.

Makes me miss Tommy Vercetti... he was downright clean spoken compared to the new cast.

YES! I completely miss Tommy. The constant Jive and swearing-tough-talk really wears on me.

YES! I completely miss Tommy. The constant Jive and swearing-tough-talk really wears on me.

True, they swear a lot. However, I don't think it's anything that wouldn't normally be heard in that kind of environment, given the characters' backgrounds. I could do without so much swearing, sure.. but I think it fits, in this case.

It's not so much "that it fits" as much as I miss the witty banter and comic gold of the Vice City dialogues... the dialogue of this new game is just downright insulting most of the time to me. I am mostly chalking it up to a difference of place... what I mean is I'm your typical white guy. Much like Agent ONE I just have not been in the parts of the country where people talk like the people in this game... thus it is very "foreign" and strange to me and I have a hard time following the dialogue as well. I can clearly follow what they are saying I just sometimes don't know what they are talking about... too much urban vernacular in spots.

Edit: But if GTA was a bunch of prim king's english speaking lord fartleroys like me it would just be dorky. :p

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I played a rip of Vice City for a while, but it got old after a few hours.

Maybe it's because my Dad was a cop, but playing the criminal just doesn't appeal to me. I enjoyed capping the other sleazebags like myself though.

Of course, the game takes on a whole new meaning when you see your 13 year old neice playing it. I'm gonna sound like an old fuddy duddy here, but I really think that games like that should be kept out of the hands of impressionable children.

But hey, the decline and ultimate collapse of our society is inevitable anyway, so why not have a little fun? :lol:

(PS - I did enjoy yanking people out of their cars, but most of the cars where crap I wouldn't drive. The only one I liked to steal was the Hummer because I can't afford one in real life. I bypassed all the little ghetto hugs, and redneck street rods.)

Edited by Mechamaniac

It's not that we're "sheltered" and it's not that we "don't approve" it's that hearing the F bomb dropped like rain and everyone being called Bitch this and N that you just start to want to cover your ears and yell "enough already!". People talk in different ways all over the world, just because I speak one way and another person speaks another does not make either one right or wrong. All Agent One and I were saying is that we are having a hard time following what is going on in the game. If they did not give helpful mission instructions I'd be lost on most of the missions as I'm not sure what people are talking about. I've spoken with other people about this game and almost all of them agree that Vice City was targeted at "me" (the teen in the '80s white male who likes slick talking punks like Tommy Vercetti and shows like Miami Vice) and San Andreas is targeted NOT at me. I'm fine with that... it's just that the incessant cussing is driving me up a wall and I can only imagine what a parent who stumbles upon their kid playing this game will say.

Back to the topic of the game: IT HAS PISSED ME OFF.

This game is now officially unplayable thanks to the stupid autoaim. I have been killed umpteen times in the last few missions just because Carl will just not aim straight... or he will lock on to a car tire or some other stupid thing other than the gang member shooting me with an Uzi not five feet away. As much as I try I am stuck and cannot get past a few select missions because of the autoaim. I try and try and try but when you are throwing down your controller in anger screaming "NO NO NO NO NO YOU PIECE OF CRAP! AIM AT HIM!" that is the time to stop playing.

Anyone else fed up already? :angry:

yea the auto aim can suck , try a different weapon, maybe level up the gun a little bit, with the Uzi at maxium level you can shoot 2 at once. B)) keep trying, you will get it. BTW how much percentage of the game have you been through?

also if you push I think it is R2 and L2 you can scroll though the list of lock on targets if he is aiming at a tire just push it real fast and he will keep locking on to different things, I think you can just do that until you get to the target you need to hit.

Edited by zeo-mare

That is the problem, My SMG, Pistol and AK47 skills are maxed out at Hitman... pressing L2 and R2 will only cycle the targets left and right (L2 for cycle left and R2 for cycle right) and the buttons will not "loop" (meaning you can't keep hitting L2 because when it reaches the furthest left target it stops), which means if autoaim selects the target furthest to the left (which it almost always does) you can only cycle the targets by pushing R2 as L2 does nothing in a situation like that. I myself find it impossible to hold down R1 and at the same time push R2 to cycle targets while having to push Circle to shoot... my hands just can't hold the controller and do all that at once... so I end up just pressing and releasing R1 when I need to target someone. Without a doubt the autoaim is the lamest, worst aiming system I've ever used... and a big reason why when this game comes out on the PC I will go from lame to unbeatable at it just like Vice City. I cannot for the life of me play Vice City worth anything on the PS2 but with my mouseaim on the PC (and with cleaner graphics and sound to boot) I'll dominate.

As for game percentage I'm at about 13%... due to my inability to pass certain missions because the autoaim screws me over all the time I'm basically stuck and just running around dominating gang territories... which once again is hard running because eventaully that damn autoaim will mess up and get me killed again.

At a Halloween party I was just at another guy I know who is also playing GTA:SA gave me a tactic to try out later tonight. He said that when you are "surrounded" on more than three sides by things that the autoaim can lock on to (people, cars, etc) he said the auto aim will for some reason always wig out and start selecting strange things like innocent ducking people and car tires... his advice was just to run. To book it until you come to a spot where all the things you want to shoot are within a "hostile cone of shoot me" as he called it. Then the autoaim should track only the targets aiming or shooting at you. I have not tried this yet but he claims that it works like a charm... so later tonight I'll give it a whirl.

I have yet to play San Andreas, but I'm a little dissapointed to hear about all the cussing and the wonky auto-aim. I hope to dialogue gets better, improves as the game progresses and you move out of the Los Santos area and into the back country, San Ferro and Las Venturas.

The new auto-aim sounds pretty stupid, especially it locking onto car tires now. I think thats useless and not necessary. Can't you manual aim any weapon now, cuz then just manually aim for tires, no need to include that in the auto-aim.

JsARCLIGHT, that tip you put up is definately useful, it'll help out alot. Also, you gotta practice hold the PS2 controller and using all your fingers. Ideally you should be using your pointer fingers on the L1 and R1 buttons and your middle fingers on the L2 and R2. I'm pretty sure most people (including myself) just use their pointer finger to push both shoulder buttons, which works fine in most games, but in GTA I got used to using both my pointer and middle fingers cuz it helped out alot in firefights.

has anyone found out a way to make any money apart from gambling?

I mean I dont mind making the occasional bet but doing the betting with my lowrider is getting tiring...only so many times I can follow a beat on screen.

Dont wanna lose my lowrider either as its modded to hell and those damned Balla guys shoot me on sight :)

Ive been playing GTA3 and GTA:VC on the XBox since I bought the double pack...and is it just me or are the graphics on the PS2 utterly pants compared to VC and GTA3 on the XBox...made me wanna cry for a bit...not being able to lock my camera where I want it while in a car annoys the hell outta me a bit as well.

The swearing doesnt bother me...and I rarely ever swear in real life.

only other way right now to make money that i can think of is by beating up and killing tons of people. :p it does allow you to build up your stats as well which is always a plus. also be careful with your lowrider, i went to a mission with one, i got out of the car went into the house and when we came out it is gone :( which sucked all the other cars I have stolen did not do that.

Just as others have said the only real way to make tons of cash in the game is just to kill people... simple as that.

I found that two ways to make potloads of money fast are: killing drug dealers and fighting turf wars. Drug dealers are easy to spot once you know who to look for... look for a white guy in a grey hoody, a black guy wearing all black with a gold chain and a hispanic guy with a black and while checkered shirt. When you approach them they stand perfectly still and when you get close they proposition you to buy drugs (you can even answer yes or no)... at that point just shoot them in the head and they not only drop a pistol but about ten cash pickups worth between $200 and $1000.

As for the Turf Wars thing it can be a blessing or a curse... if the turf you are fighting for is not laid out very well then it is easy to get surrounded, have the autoaim dork out on you and you end up getting mown down in the crossfire. My friend's tactic of running away and getting all the targets in one nice pile makes it soooo much easier to shoot them and the autoaim does not freak out when you have a nice steady stream of people walking into your kill zone. On average if you are good enough you can mop up a Turf War all by yourself without any help from your tagalong gang guys (allthough it is best to have five or so of them with you so the two computer controlled teams shoot it out and don't focus on you alone) you can make piles of money and recover tons and tons of weapons and armor. Plus once you own like 80% of the map (as I do now) your money pickup outside your house in Ganton generates about $5000 every few days.

I wasn't going to get this game for a while because of financial reasons but I couldn't hold out. I got it on Friday and played several hours so far. I have not done too many missions because I mainly enjoy driving around and checking out all the little details of the game. I've been working out at the gym, dancing in the clubs, playing arcade the arcade games, tagging, driving different cars, etc. I am amazed in the level of detail throughout the city.

I agree about the language. I suppose it is accurate for the characters but I think they could of toned it down a bit and still kept the feel. I'm no stranger to foul language (oww my freakin ears) but it kind of sucks in that I have to keep the volume low so my wife does not have to hear all the mf this and f that.

I also agree that the aiming system sucks but I expected that. I got spoiled playing VC with a mouse and keyboard on the PC. I always had a hard time aiming with any type of shooting game on consoles. However, earlier GTA games did seem easier. I just wish SA came out on the PC now instead of a year. I also don't like having to use the joystick to drive the vehicles because it is too sensitive. I was trying to do tricks on a motorcycle but found it impossible because I couldn't keep the joystick steady. Any little nudge left or right caused me to spin aorund.

At a Halloween party I was just at another guy I know who is also playing GTA:SA gave me a tactic to try out later tonight. He said that when you are "surrounded" on more than three sides by things that the autoaim can lock on to (people, cars, etc) he said the auto aim will for some reason always wig out and start selecting strange things like innocent ducking people and car tires... his advice was just to run. To book it until you come to a spot where all the things you want to shoot are within a "hostile cone of shoot me" as he called it. Then the autoaim should track only the targets aiming or shooting at you. I have not tried this yet but he claims that it works like a charm... so later tonight I'll give it a whirl.

Better advice is to not use the auto-aim at all and just those fools. :p I only use auto aim for long distance shots. I like the free aim better, especially for head shots or multiple kills.

The Free aim is impossible for me to use... trying to aim with that right stick and at the same time dodge with the left stick is out of my ability. Lining up a shot on a stationary target like those switches in the "stealing from uncle sam" mission is hard enough. As I said before (like JawJaw and others) I am used to mouseaim on the PC and my PS2 experience is very limited... when this game comes to the PC I'll be back in my element and then I'll be plinking headshots on the run.

The Free aim is impossible for me to use... trying to aim with that right stick and at the same time dodge with the left stick is out of my ability. Lining up a shot on a stationary target like those switches in the "stealing from uncle sam" mission is hard enough. As I said before (like JawJaw and others) I am used to mouseaim on the PC and my PS2 experience is very limited... when this game comes to the PC I'll be back in my element and then I'll be plinking headshots on the run.

Practice it outside a mission, that way it won't frustrate you.

I'm also on the gang wars (have about 22 territories so far....las colinas is gonna take a while) and the best way to take em out is to get em from an elevated position (with plenty of cover).

Is there a car in the game that looks like the 90's Ford mustang 5.0? I've seen the NSX but with all the good research Rockstar did I can't believe that would leave that car out.

Its not the best way to play, but it is do-able. Especially in a game curved for consoles.