Katamari Damacy

areaseven

It's been around two weeks since I started working at GameStop in Northridge, and while games like Mortal Kombat Deception and FIFA Soccer 2005 sell like pancakes as predicted, one game has gotten me wondering why so many have bought it...

Katamari Damacy

It's only $19.99, yet everyone's raving about it.

Game Revolution - A-

GameSpot - 8.7 out of 10

IGN - 9.0 out of 10

PSXExtreme - 8.5 out of 10

Is Katamari Damacy really that good?

post-26-1097899521.jpg

Edited by areaseven

It's been around two weeks since I started working at GameStop in Northridge, and while games like Mortal Kombat Deception and FIFA Soccer 2005 sell like pancakes as predicted, one game has gotten me wondering why so many have bought it...

Which Gamestop? The one at Fashion Center or whatever they call that mall? Used to go there a lot when I was going to CSUN.

Played Katamari Damacy a bit when i was in Japan, it's fun and quirky. Very original. You can beat it in a day if you try, and after you beat it you probably won't play it too much more. But it's worth $20, wanted to get the JP version, but it was going for ~$30, and that was too much IMHO.

I think it's receiving a lot of hype because it's "underground" (sorta) and a quirky Japanese game, the latter of which we don't get many of here. But a bit overrated. Still though, I'd say it's worth the $20... if you can find it. I've been hearing it's been selling out most places because it wasn't released in great numbers. If I had the money at the time I would have grabbed a few and held onto them until their prices on eBay went up.

http://www.videogamedepot.com just got a shipment of them in yesterday. (I don't work there, I just shop there and like their store a lot)

Specifically: http://www.videogamedepot.com/shop/product...d=01D0016976011

Edited by David Hingtgen

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine for about $23 shipped from CD Universe. Both my wife and I agree that it's great fun. Neat visuals and BGM, amusing concept, and entertaining gameplay. But it's a little too short--just when I mastered the first "really hard" levels, I came to the last level (which was fairly easy). There's still stuff to be done by way of improving on my scores and finding all the gifts, but I'd really like to have a couple more levels.

It is entertaining, but definitely not worth more than $20.

And that's why its 19.99 MSRP ;)

Ya this game is rather strange but fun. Definitely unique.

Yeah, by that, I meant that I wouldn't pay 23 dollars shipped and it would be a stretch to pay the $20.99 that I would pay here in MD for tax.

Yeah, by that, I meant that I wouldn't pay 23 dollars shipped and it would be a stretch to pay the $20.99 that I would pay here in MD for tax.

I don't know how much I could have gotten it for locally, but since it's managed to entertain two people, it's worth twice as much to me. :D

HAven't had a chance to play it personally, but from what I hear, a lot of it's popularity comes from the fact that it's DIFFRENT.

Not diffrent in that it's odd(which it is), just diffrent in that it's not what usually gets licensed for a US release.