Model Kit disaster!

Macross_Fanboy

Well, I'm working on my VF-0S, I wanna get it done before I ship out. So I'm doing pretty well. I got the head and the airbrake parts ready for a flat finish after weathering. So, I leave them for a little while. I'm decaling the fuselage. Now, my mom calls, and she wants me to make dinner, so I'm chopping up the chicken and marinating it and so forth, well I'm almost done, the phone rings, and I see that my 3 1/2 month old Labrador Retriever got the MiG-29 box half that I'm using to spray parts on, and I left the little airbrake pieces and the head in there. Still thinking the pieces are in there, I chase him down and I tackled him and found nothing was in there, so I look around and I see the head all busted to hell and the little airbrake parts are nowhere to be found. Now, I'm pissed off because that little son of a bitch pretty much destroyed the kit, two PS2 controls, one Gamecube control and I'm sure he'll destroy something else. Well, I'm thinking of using the VF-1S head for it, will that kit bash work? Or should I just continue and end up with a closed airbrake and headless VF-0S? :angry:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

not to sound mean or anything but with any animals (or childern for that matter) around the house you should lock doors up and put your projects up as high as you can...i've lost many parts in the past from my nieces and nephews getting into my unfinished kits (and even more into my finished kits <_< ) now if i build or paint something, it's usually in a place they can't get into...like in an extra room or the garage...

with that said...i would just continue building the kit without the head...you could say it's a demo version of the VF-0S :p ...but that's just me...i suck at sculpting so i wouldn't resulpt one...if you have the skill and time to resculpt a head then by all means do so...but it seems like you're strapped for time so maybe it would be a bad idea to do it at this point in time...you could also ask for a head here on the boards or order the tree the head was on from HLJ or any other online store that does parts requests... :)

wish you luck on your kit :D

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

Yeah, I don't have the time to sculpt another head much less wait for a package to arrive in the mail. Besides, it's not like people have to know it transforms, I'll just say it's an F-0. :D

true...the VF-0 looks more like a real-world type fighter than the VF-1 though...

OT but...what military branch are you going to get into?

sorry to hear about your loss, yea i can tell how much this must suck for you, the door to the room where i keep all my models stays shut 24/7 i have a few cats and i know all to well what pets can do to models and toys. try the wanted section maybe someone has some spare parts that you can kitbash onto yours.

You should kitbash your dog's head onto the VF-0. That'll teach him not to destroy your stuff :p

Graham

Yeah.....do that to a 600 buck dog that's loved throughout the house. :rolleyes:

But hey, just know, my step dad accidentally stepped on one of his paws and after he destroyed the head I tossed him outside in the dark where he barked for 30 minutes. :p

Many sympathies. My idiot German Shepherd/Border Collie cross found the GU-11 gun pod from my VF-15 in my spray booth and decided it would make a great scooby snack.

Some styrene tubing and LOTS of putty later it looks functional enough to mount underneath the fighter--but I'd not use it in combat :D

FYI, I'm hoping to get my VF-0B in the post soon, if you want (and correct me if I'm wrong in thinking the parts are interchangeable) I can try to recast the head and airbrakes for you. I'm no expert in casting (just learning to make them somewhat bubble-free) so clean-up might be a bitch, but it could be a solution. Let me know.

BOL with the Navy BTW. Best three years of my life were spent in the Canadian Forces as Armored Recce. A training accident, torn ACL, two blown disks and ten years later, all I can do is model this poo :D

Cheers,

Sean

Make a battle damaged VF-0S with the head serverely shot to bits!

:)

That could work, it's just that I'll have to glue together the pieces I found. I pretty much have half of a head so I'd have to stick those pieces together and fill in the rest with some glue and paint it, I'd have to detail it though to make it look like there's some depth to the damage. Any tips?

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

Or just plate over the hole where the head goes with a piece of plastic card, scribe a line down the center and say it is a fully retractable head!

The airbrake can be replaced with a similar piece cut to shape and curved over a suitable diameter piece of pipe while hitting it with a hair dryer on hot. Drill holes to taste. The hole pattern does not matter, copy it as closely as possible from the decal guide.

The actuating jacks on the airbrake can be bashed from a few bits of undercarriage off an old broken model. All the need to be is approximately the same length and step down in size about halfway along.

Sources of thick plastic card include expired credit cards and phone cards. Old model parts will supply the actuators for the airbrakes.

Any old tank kits or car kits? Find something vaguely head shaped like a differential and start from there. Looking at my VF-0S kit a drop tank with a couple of bulges glued on, two discs of plastic sheet and two thin tubes would go a long way towards replicating a head. Once primed and painted, who will know?

Plastic disposable spoons like you use on picnics are styrene and curved, make a paper pattern of the airbrake hole and cut a section from a spoon, drill and paint to suit.

Modelling supplies are all around you.

Your mother or sister paint their nails? A lot of nail polish removers used to be MEK, which is a damm fine plastic glue.

Fake jewels and beads can make a light or in this case an optical port for a head.

Plastic cutlery can be melted in ligued plastic cement to make a plastic filler.

Nail buffing pads will polish a joint in a model untill you can not see it. Or take scratches out of canopies.

Gold pins out of busted computer cable ends make damm fine pitot probes for aircraft. Or short gun barrels.

Toy packaging blisters are usefull for cutting sections for clear windows.

The list goes on.... :D

Cheers

Tony

labradors will eat anything, My buddy kept the dog food in the garage and his golden chewed through the drywall and insulation to get to it, ate at least 15lbs of food,,, needless to say they had to get his stomach pumped. Seems like everyone I meet with a lab, has some story like that

Ouch. I feel for ya dude. :o You might want to put a muzzle on the puppy while he's indoors, at least until he learns (if that's possible :p) not to chew on everything he sees.

I had to do the same to 3 german shepherd puppies we had at home when I was in high school. As they grew, I slowly switched to using the muzzle only when they misbehaved (ie. chewed into something they were not supposed to, like model kits <_< , teddy bears or each other :lol:). They eventually got the point that if they wanted to be inside with nothing on their faces, they had to behave. :)

Sorry...I think I would try and just build it without a head for now. Maybe Yamato will eventually release a new kit with more then one head (like the new strike with the 1S, 1A head options) if so then you could scavange a head. Maybe also post in wanted...maybe someone else will break a kit or sell a completed model cheap you could scavange the part from. Obviousley this doesn't help you now..but it's all I can think of.