Yamato YF-19 modifications...

Pat S

I was going to wait until I had the other one done (I had to order new parts because I broke one of the ball sockets). But, I can post the one I have done. I'm going to try and change this setup to get rid of the long post, so all of the parts between the hips will likely change before I'm done.

This is before cleanup mind you...

post-4-1096566541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat S

Wow, that's fast! :o

The leg looks much better now!

I have a question though, what's a good filler to use for major mods like this?

I use two compound epoxy. The one you buy in a hobby store or a hardware store. It's very workable (although the one I use hardens like metal but I still manage to sand it pretty well).

Thanks, that's what I used to seal the joint in. I filled the hollow hip section with Tamiya putty behind the joint, so it can't back out.

I'll play around with it, I think I need more putty to finish this thing :p

Thanks for the support fella's. Some of these mods are easy to do, like moving the shield, and head bar removal. If anyone tries them, let us know how it works, post pics too.

Edited by Pat S

The wings should bend foward a little bit more to match the art.

About posability, the thing that i love in the 1/48 legs is the possibility of rotate completely the legs near the knee section its a little invisible thing but it is fantastic, besides the battroid posability it helps a lot to achieve a better gerwalk pose.

Ido: I haven't been able to figure out a way to fix the legs so they are more poseable. I considered using a 1/60 leg as a skeleton for the YF-19, but the 1/60's don't bend any further forward than the YF-19. I'll keep thinking on this one, because I'd love to be able to get them to bend further forward, and also bend toe out. I've already sanded the knee area down to get them to go further forward, but it didn't help that much.

Also, from the front view, after the sort of triangle shoulder part that connects the arm to the body of the plane, the connected part is square in shape, not rounded like the triangle part. I hope that made sense, anyways, in this pic (and the one above), I've sanded down the one on the left to match the triangular part.

post-4-1096640675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat S

Very interesting I hope you have two so that once you are done you can stand them side by side for comparison shots. Really the mods you are showing dont seem to affect the durability all that much and already the toy looks far better.

So, what I did, was sand down the part below the shoulder with a dremel and many different attatchments. The one on the left is original height, the one on the right is the modified height.

Dscn5156.jpg

As much as I love how this looks as far as the fighter mode goes (great job btw), doesnt this cause problems for gerwalk mode? :blink: I dont know other people, but I already have enough trouble tucking the wings under the shoulder as it is in gerwalk mode and if the shoulders are lowered, i would think it would make things worse. :ph34r:

With a longer screw than the one Yamato used to hold the shoulder down, and a spring added, the shoulder raises up to the normal spot in gerwalk and battloid. The spring keeps the shoulder lowered in fighter, and provides tension so the arms aren't flopping around in the other modes. I need to find a place with small screws and springs though. I'll guess I'll try home depot.

Edit: No need for a longer screw for this mod to work like stock, but the spring is necessary, but I want the longer screw so that in gerwalk mode, the arms can raise up higher than normal, this will allow gerwalk to keep a sleek look without raising the whole body up.

Here's what I mean, the body is above the wings in gerwalk otherwise the arms can't rotate forward.

post-4-1096652551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat S

I've been watching this progression for a bit now.... REALLY COOL!

Man that's a lot of work, but so far VERY worth the effort.... Great job!

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

soooo, when are you planning to sell this thing? :D

Haha, well, let's see if I can finish it first. I've always been good a taking things apart, not the best at putting them back together :)

I won't be selling it though (unless I reeeaaally need money), the YF-19 is my favorite mecha/aircraft design ever.

Very impressive! I wouldn't dare to dremel any part of the toy, but you did it and got it just right! :)