Xbox Live

mikeszekely

I got Xbox Live over the summer, after I they finally rewired my building and I got cable internet. I'd considered asking then, but there weren't a lot of Live games I was interested in. This fall, though, there's going to be a ton of Live enabled games I'm going to be playing, so I figured now's the time to see who else on the boards is on Live.

My gamertag is PharaohMan (all the other good Megaman names were taken), and I'm mostly in for the fighters (DoA Ultimate, MK Deception, and SNK vs Capcom Chaos), but I'll also be doing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005, Halo 2, and the entire ESPN 2K5 lineup.

I picked up Xbox Live last week for the free 3 month trial. Sadly I'm not planning on activating my account till Halo 2 comes out November 9th, don't wanna waste it now and only have less than a month left on it you know?

Not too mention I'm picky.....REALLY picky on my online games. I STILL wanna play FF11, but I don't wanna pay the money lol....

Probably most interesting thing is 1 thing to pay online fees while PS2 its every online game has some sorta fee which pisses me off.

If FF11 used the online pay cards like EQ, I'd be set on that....not too mention EQ keeps all your data while FF11 will for only 3 months, thus I'm starting at scratch again.....BASTARDS!!!!

But I'll be diffenetly getting Halo 2, got it pre-ordered already....and my co-worker buddy here I think has it ordered and I think he's also got the online kit and we'll probably create our own group.

I check out alot of neat stuff, there are alot and I MEAN ALOT of online games, someone told me Crimson Skies was good for online play....but I'm not much into stuff that resembles WWII....as we all know.......

I have XBox live, over here in the UK.

Think my gamer tag is GforceUK (my brothers online name)

Dont have that many games, ive got CounterStrike, Full Spectrum Warrior, MotoGP, Project Gotham 2, thats all my online games.

Ive had it for about 3 months and only used it for like 2 weeks.

Waiting for Halo 2 to come out really...that and the extension on my house to get started and finished so I can set my room out properly, as there will be more space with my brother FINALLY getting his own room after 21 years sharing a room...

Damn expensive houses!!

my gamertag is fearyaks

Haven't played online lately but I'd be up for BO3, ESPN NFL2K4, Splinter Cell, PGR2....

Hey Fearyaks,

How do you like NFL2K5? Graphics is good to me but I dunno about the playabilty. It looks like I am pumpfaking the throw when I am actually wanting a throw.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that you have to pay a subscription to play a game online... I can understand, like someone else said, paying for access to the online arena of games, but then you have to pay an extra fee per game?! That's lame... Especially when people have been playing online games for years for free on the PC (minus ISP fees).

I look at it this way... I have SO many bills per month, and now I'm asked to add another one to play a game?? Is it cheaper than going to the arcade used to be? I used to be able to play a game for an hour or so on $.50.... How does this compare?

So here is the bill breakdown for the month:

Electric

Water

Phone (land line)

Cell Phone

Cable

Car Insurance

Mortgage (that's a big one)

Credit card (gotta buy toys :p )

Internet Access

Food

Gas

Home owners insurance

Line of Credit Loan

Home Depot

Look at all this CRAP!! SHEESH... And now if I want XM-Radio... another $12 a month... I want to play online games.... another what? $10, $15, $20 a month?!

Wow... I went off on a rant.... sorry.

Edited by rocco_77

Well see that's why so many people perfer to get Xbox online, with the Xbox you pay a solid fee and you can play any game that registers for online use. Whereas the Playstation 2 you have no montly online fees except for each game you play. You pay 13 dollars a month and for every new character you create its 1 dollar besides the 1 free be you get which you can rehash all you want. And Everquest, god bless its crack adicting ways :p is 10 dollars a month but you can use a prepaid card or charge on a credit/debit card and no character fees.

Sadly, you'll find more people with a PS2 online than an Xbox cause Xbox is high speed while PS2 supports high speed and dialup.

Sadly, you'll find more people with a PS2 online than an Xbox cause Xbox is high speed while PS2 supports high speed and dialup.

Except that 90% of the PS2's online games require broadband anyway, and even though I have a network adaptor, the only game I'd consider playing online with a PS2 is Champions of Norrath.

Hmmmm I may have to think about getting SWBF...low on funds....always low on funds :p I'll think about it!

But all the games I got for the PS2 don't need high speed except Socom which I ditched cause it was boring, and Need for Speed Underground which pisses me off that you gotta start from scratch again to get my car that kicks everyones ass.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that you have to pay a subscription to play a game online... I can understand, like someone else said, paying for access to the online arena of games, but then you have to pay an extra fee per game?! That's lame... Especially when people have been playing online games for years for free on the PC (minus ISP fees).

I look at it this way... I have SO many bills per month, and now I'm asked to add another one to play a game?? Is it cheaper than going to the arcade used to be? I used to be able to play a game for an hour or so on $.50.... How does this compare?

So here is the bill breakdown for the month:

Electric

Water

Phone (land line)

Cell Phone

Cable

Car Insurance

Mortgage (that's a big one)

Credit card (gotta buy toys :p )

Internet Access

Food

Gas

Home owners insurance

Line of Credit Loan

Home Depot

Look at all this CRAP!! SHEESH... And now if I want XM-Radio... another $12 a month... I want to play online games.... another what? $10, $15, $20 a month?!

Wow... I went off on a rant.... sorry.

Not to turn this into a PS2 live vs Xbox live post but look at it this way -

With the Xbox you don't have to buy a network adapter which is basically the same cost as subscribing for a year. IT's a pain but it's no worse than the MMORPG monthly fees out there.

Godzilla - I'm quite enjoying ESPN. I rotate every year between Madden and 2K. The passing isn't that bad and I wonder if you're hitting the pass buttons too quickly. You can pump-fake using the pass buttons and sometimes it screws up and pump-fakes for you if you don't press the button correctly.

It's 'only' $19.99 so why not? I bet you could probably find it used somewhere for cheap.

:( You know speaking of XM....*shivers* that's like 3 piece electronic device here in the dealership and its 500 dollars and some odd change, than the labor fee's and that damn thing wont work well in heavily forested areas, mountainious regins and big downtown areas.......so is it REALLY worth the sacrafice of commercials?

Have X-box live here. Gamer ID Golden Arms

I haven't played online in months. I will start playing online soon. I play ESPN nfl 2k5 and SW battlefront. BTW espn 2k5 is a great game. The gameplay is awesome, blows Madden out of the water.

My roomate had an account with Live (Gurana) and I used to play Capcom vs SNK 2 and Mech Assault for him. It was great playing against Japanese gamers in CVS2, every battle's a school lesson. He never renewed the account, so I'm no longer on Live, but it's no big deal. The competition was starting to dry out in CVS2 and I don't take any of the other fighting games on Live seriously. But if 3rd Strike is released on Xbox, I'll probably buy a new subscription myself ;)

Not yet but give a couple months after I get settled in San Diego. . .

The DARK one will be back on the roads in Burnout 3 :ph34r:

My roomate had an account with Live (Gurana) and I used to play Capcom vs SNK 2 and Mech Assault for him. It was great playing against Japanese gamers in CVS2, every battle's a school lesson. He never renewed the account, so I'm no longer on Live, but it's no big deal. The competition was starting to dry out in CVS2 and I don't take any of the other fighting games on Live seriously. But if 3rd Strike is released on Xbox, I'll probably buy a new subscription myself ;)

Third Strike will be part of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Although it's out for PS2, it won't be out for Xbox until January... I suppose because they're adding more Live features.

And don't forget, SNK vs. Capcom Chaos is the end of this month (September, for anyone who reads this in October and thinks they have a month of waiting).

Well since I just bought a Xbox, I dunno about paying $60 for Live. Plus I need to buy a 50ft rj45 cable or buy the $100 wireless adapter.

Frankly, I agree with Rocco. Pay to play is just ridiculuous. I have been playing XvT and XWA on www.zone.com for free via PC hence why I bought SWBF for PC and Xbox. Paying monthly or yearly is just aint right. I bought the game which is $50 or higher and then pay another $70 for Live? And to top it off I have to pay an addition $50 per year?

Oh fearyaks, I dunno about the ESPN. I like Madden better than ESPN as in gameplay. Graphics is better than madden but still...

Well since I just bought a Xbox, I dunno about paying $60 for Live. Plus I need to buy a 50ft rj45 cable or buy the $100 wireless adapter.

Frankly, I agree with Rocco. Pay to play is just ridiculuous. I have been playing XvT and XWA on www.zone.com for free via PC hence why I bought SWBF for PC and Xbox. Paying monthly or yearly is just aint right. I bought the game which is $50 or higher and then pay another $70 for Live? And to top it off I have to pay an addition $50 per year?

Oh fearyaks, I dunno about the ESPN. I like Madden better than ESPN as in gameplay. Graphics is better than madden but still...

Fair enough (re: paying the money) but on 11-09-04 you'll probably want it. Do you have a wireless router at home because if so, you could probably hook up everything for less than $100.

And ESPN is only $19.99. I'm quite enjoying it and as I mentioned before, I like both series.

Third Strike will be part of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Although it's out for PS2, it won't be out for Xbox until January... I suppose because they're adding more Live features.

Ooohhh, if it supports Live, I'm so back!! I wonder if Capcom will fix the resolution issues that plagued the PS2 released. I'll still buy it regardless, I've still got my DC copy of it, I just want some competition.

And don't forget, SNK vs. Capcom Chaos is the end of this month (September, for anyone who reads this in October and thinks they have a month of waiting)

I've played SvC Chaos, it's a fun game, but I don't like to play broken games competitively. I'll play it for fun with my friends, but not competitively when my Live stats are on the line. ;)

Well since I just bought a Xbox, I dunno about paying $60 for Live.  Plus I need to buy a 50ft rj45 cable or buy the $100 wireless adapter.

Frankly, I agree with Rocco.  Pay to play is just ridiculuous.  I have been playing XvT and XWA on www.zone.com for free via PC hence why I bought SWBF for PC and Xbox. Paying monthly or yearly is just aint right.  I bought the game which is $50 or higher and then pay another $70 for Live? And to top it off I have to pay an addition $50 per year? 

Oh fearyaks, I dunno about the ESPN.  I like Madden better than ESPN as in gameplay.  Graphics is better than madden but still...

Fair enough (re: paying the money) but on 11-09-04 you'll probably want it. Do you have a wireless router at home because if so, you could probably hook up everything for less than $100.

And ESPN is only $19.99. I'm quite enjoying it and as I mentioned before, I like both series.

Yes I already have a wireless infastructure.

Live isn't $70 then $50 a year. Live is $50 a year. The $70 package is a starter kit that gives you the headset, a game, and a year of Live.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous to pay to play a game you already paid for. I those MMORPGs are more or less robbery, given that you pay $50 for a game and then have to pay $15 a month to play it, plus another $30 for any and all expansion packs.

But with Xbox Live, you're not really paying to play the game. You're paying for a service, and I think (now that games are finally coming out that I really want to play online) you get your money's worth. I mean, if it was some kind of monthly gig, I could see some complaining, but it's just a once a year thing. I buy two or three games a month, I think once a year I can buy one fewer game and renew my Live subscription.

Well since I just bought a Xbox, I dunno about paying $60 for Live.  Plus I need to buy a 50ft rj45 cable or buy the $100 wireless adapter.

Frankly, I agree with Rocco.  Pay to play is just ridiculuous.  I have been playing XvT and XWA on www.zone.com for free via PC hence why I bought SWBF for PC and Xbox. Paying monthly or yearly is just aint right.  I bought the game which is $50 or higher and then pay another $70 for Live? And to top it off I have to pay an addition $50 per year? 

Oh fearyaks, I dunno about the ESPN.  I like Madden better than ESPN as in gameplay.  Graphics is better than madden but still...

Yes I already have a wireless infastructure.

Hey Godz, if you've already got the infrastructure setup, you don't need the 'official' xBox wireless crap... just go and pickup a wireless bridge and you'll be set!

Third Strike will be part of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.  Although it's out for PS2, it won't be out for Xbox until January... I suppose because they're adding more Live features.

Ooohhh, if it supports Live, I'm so back!! I wonder if Capcom will fix the resolution issues that plagued the PS2 released. I'll still buy it regardless, I've still got my DC copy of it, I just want some competition.

And don't forget, SNK vs. Capcom Chaos is the end of this month (September, for anyone who reads this in October and thinks they have a month of waiting)

I've played SvC Chaos, it's a fun game, but I don't like to play broken games competitively. I'll play it for fun with my friends, but not competitively when my Live stats are on the line. ;)

I played the Xbox versionof SVC Chaos on the new Xbox store demo disc. Its alot better. Seriously it feels more complete. I want to try the full version when it comes out.

maybe a silly question, but you can actually plug in a keyboard and mouse on a Xbox?

Like it's quite handy while playing first person shooters if you need accurate sniping and shootin during a clanwar.

Nope.

You gotta adapt to the Controller.

Its not bad at all once you get use to it.

Same, even in PC games, I use a controler, its just so much simpler by doing that. Sure I'll switch to keyboard for typing if it doesn't have voice commands like Socom and what not to help communicate.

Sadly I just found out I lost my DSL Password....so I can't use the DSL line at home for my Xbox right now.....so either I'll have to move this computer to my room, or call CenturyTel and MAYBE they'll give met he password lol.

Which do you think will happen first? :p

I play Quake 3 for free and its better than Halo.

I'd never pay a per month charge to play ANY game online.

Halo on the PC must suck. Either that, or you were expecting a frag-fest game, ala Unreal. Personally, I can't stand those kind of games. I need large, open environments where I can stalk someone before I kill them, instead of just getting the biggest gun I can find and fragging the hordes around me.

And anyway, there is no month fee to play games on Xbox Live. There is a $50 per year fee for the Xbox Live service, which is worth it. Much easier to find your friends and host private matches. Once you have your Xbox Live service, the games are free to play online.

But with Xbox Live, you're not really paying to play the game. You're paying for a service, and I think (now that games are finally coming out that I really want to play online) you get your money's worth. I mean, if it was some kind of monthly gig, I could see some complaining, but it's just a once a year thing. I buy two or three games a month, I think once a year I can buy one fewer game and renew my Live subscription.

With MMORPGS, you also pay for the service, you have to realize that those games constantly have updates, and the need constant in game tech support for any problems and stuff.

While with most other regular online games, they just release a couple of patches that's it.