Two year Olds and Valks

DatterBoy

So my son turns 2 in about a week. And dude loves valks. So I went n got em one er.. rather... 3. VF-1S Roy, VF-1A CF, VF-1A Hikaru DYRL, all Bandais cuz everyone here says chunky Monkey is the way to go.

If you guys remeber me, I'm the one who let em play with my current collection, much to my chagrin. here's the casulty list:

- YAMATO 1/60 VF-1A Custom Paint - busted tail fin

- Rohby JM recast, busted leg

- Toynami Morpher VF-1J Max, busted leg

- 2 Banprestos, torn to shreds

So my wife thinks I'm a fool for letting him play with em in the first place, and I'm pretty much gonna side with her. Did he get hurt at all in any of this destruction? No. But damn me cuz I really enjoy watching him play with valks. Dude just loves them to death. All broken cuz he's trying to transform them.

The CF is gonna take one for the team. Don;t think the wings are strong enough.. flimsiest wings I know of compared to the Yammies 60 and 48. really thin plastic. And he holds the toy by the wings, everything else, solid. I'll give him the CF, and when he's 4 or 5, give him the other two.

:Dat

post-4-1095752254.jpg

Like I've said before the Bandai 1/65 VF-17S or VF-17D is the way to go. Those things are virtually indestructable, far tougher than even the 1/55 VF-1.

The 1/65 VF-19kai or VF-19S are also damn tough, although the headlasers on the VF-19S fall off too easily and are easy to lose.

Graham

Like I've said before the Bandai 1/65 VF-17S or VF-17D is the way to go. Those things are virtually indestructable, far tougher than even the 1/55 VF-1.

The 1/65 VF-19kai or VF-19S are also damn tough, although the headlasers on the VF-19S fall off too easily and are easy to lose.

Graham

that's true, but the question is can he find them for cheap? And can he find them at all? I think the reissues VF-1's are easier to find and cheaper to get. :p:D:lol:

Once again...cute kid, Datterboy!

Just be sure he doesn't try to eat any of the parts he dislodges.

So, here's something I've been thinking about. I don't know if it's feasible or not...but I wonder if it might be possible to make a Valk out of wood based on the 1/55 design. Perhaps a simplified (no landing gear) and somewhat SD-ized version (whatever will bulk up the thinnest parts).

forget the valk, I'll take that aeron chair he's sitting on!

I was about to comment on the chair too! I've been looking for one of those... Where did you get that chair!!??

Oh, and to stay on topic... I think it's great that you have such a good attitude about your boy breaking a few valks to get the hang of transforming them.... that's just awesome...

NOW... Where did you get that chair?!

Graham

that's true, but the question is can he find them for cheap? And can he find them at all? I think the reissues VF-1's are easier to find and cheaper to get. :p:D:lol:

Exactly why I went with the reissues. Easy to find, cheaper tham a Yammie, and I hoped more durable.. but the wings... so flimsy and thin....

I'm worried...

Once again...cute kid, Datterboy!

Just be sure he doesn't try to eat any of the parts he dislodges.

So, here's something I've been thinking about. I don't know if it's feasible or not...but I wonder if it might be possible to make a Valk out of wood based on the 1/55 design. Perhaps a simplified (no landing gear) and somewhat SD-ized version (whatever will bulk up the thinnest parts).

He's pretty good about not eating no edible things, so I'm not worried there.

The wood thing.. I totally wanted to do that. Not for a kid's toy, but for like a hobby venture. Would love to see it done, but I don't have the tools to make it happen. But a simplified, durable wood valk would be awesome!

forget the valk, I'll take that aeron chair he's sitting on!

I was about to comment on the chair too! I've been looking for one of those... Where did you get that chair!!??

Oh, and to stay on topic... I think it's great that you have such a good attitude about your boy breaking a few valks to get the hang of transforming them.... that's just awesome...

NOW... Where did you get that chair?!

Guys,

The Aeron chair.. so impressed that you even noticed it. It's his mom's.. she worked at acompany where they had them, and said it was the best chair ever. At work, I knew a guy who had an aunt who worked for Herman Miller, the manufacturer and distributer and he had one. I asked him wher ehe got it, he said he'd hook me up. $526 dollars later, it came to my door.

My wife believes it to be one of the single best purchases she has ever made.

On a side note, when the company she worked for went out of business and closed doors, several people were known to have run away with a few of the chairs...

oh, and the wings...they may look flimsy, but they are quite tough. I wouldn't worry about him breaking the wing off. I think I carried my valks around by the wings with no problems in the past. The tail fins are another matter though, but even more likely to break is the tail pack. And before any of those break, I think the ears would fall off. But other than that, it's still the tried and true chunky monkey.

aint nuthin wrong with jetfire. I love jetfire, stubby nose and all! I remember going to Sears cuz they had tons of transformers and I would just stare at the boxes of jetfires in awe. But then I didn't really care if it was transformers or robotech, I just loved the fighter and armor as a toy. The branding was lost on me. I guess that's why I bought the diaclones instead of the real transformers. I looked at the diaclones and thought, wow they come with a little man with magnet feet, they have guns that actually shoot bullets out far, and they cost less than the transformers. Nowadays, I'm a brand whore. What's happened to me?

Hey, DATTERBOY, looks like we're in the same boat! I'm getting ready to move my wife and my 1 1/2 yr. old boy here in CALIF. Thankfully I've gotten wind of the MWer's advice to use 1/55's as "curiousity pacifiers" for my JACOB, and that's why I've been buying re-issues for the last few months. Hopefully, it will do the job, 'coz from the stories that his mom had already told me, looks like I'm gonna have to do a really good job of taking away his soon-to-be-laid attention on my precious display case. Wish me luck :lol::D . BTW, yours is a good-looking little boy, and he does look really cute w/ that valk in hand :D !

• 2 weeks later...

I got my son: (8 now but got them for him at 5 and 6)

3 exo-squad ROBOTECH Invid and Destroids...these babys lasted through the test...worthwhile

3 skull leader boots....these broke...but with enough super glue and screws I keep them going

1 original Roy Taka....couldn't help giving him one nice heavy one...this is his favorite...tail keeps being broken off...(he "flew" it out a window once) but I still keep it working and he still plays with them.

I bought him some of the gashaphons for this weekend...They should be great!