1/48 Yamato Conversion Kits

Neova

Which one of these kits would you actually buy if made available to you?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these kits would you actually buy if made available to you?

• 1/48 Elintseeker Conversion Kit - FP required (2 seater cockpit, chest plate, canopy, fast packs, radar, weapons, head, wings)
    • 1/48 SuperOstrich Conversion Kit - FP required(2 seater cockpit, chest plate, canopy, fast packs, Minmay co pilot, head, wings)
    • 1/48 VF-1D Conversion Kit (2 seater cockpit, head, chest plate, canopy)
    • 1/48 HI DETAIL KIt (high detail hud, seats, radar, sleaker nosecone, verniers, etc...
    • 1/48 Stampede Valkyrie Conversion Kit - FP required (new covers for leg FPs, vulcan cannon attachments to backpacks, new nosecone)
    • 1/48 Thunder Hammer Conversion Kit (based off of Yamato's Forth Coming GBP Kit in 2005)
    • All of the above cuz I'm filthy stinkying rich or a Macross Zealot!
    • Other - make suggestions

This isn't another Yamato wish list!

It's a Thunder Hammer thread!  :lol:

Indeed :lol:

Yeah, yeah, I know. But not everyone wants a Thunder Hammer.

whatcha talkin about willis!?!

i want them all but sounds like the TH is a definitely possible since it would require the least amount to work to an existing valk.

This isn't another Yamato wish list!

It's a Thunder Hammer thread!  :lol:

Indeed :lol:

Yeah, yeah, I know. But not everyone wants a Thunder Hammer.

lol... that STILL does not make it another Yamato make me what I wish for thread... hehe.

There's like 500 other threads for that... :lol:

Now that you put it like that Haterist...your right. Looking at it from that perspective, then yeah...its is MORE likely and REALISTICLY to be able to create another Thunder Hummer.

I hope it becomes a reality :D

-Jin

exactly. and its not like anyone is going to start 5 projects at once.

i figure this poll is to figure out what would be the most wanted and the easiest one to do. i mean, i'd like some 2 seaters but the work involved is ridiculous. plus if yamato released them, everyone would bail on the project and people would cancel their orders. its f-ed up, but thats what would happen and it wouldn't be fair to captain america or anyone else who's going to put work into this project.

IMHO, the TH will never be made by yamato so its a good canidate for the project. people who want it, will pay for it and won't flake out because yamato will never make it.

so far 21 people said TH plus 36 who said they'd buy them all so that makes atleast 57 people that would be down to get a set.

just some thoughts. :)

The question that really needs to be asked is : would you still want a Thunder Hammers 1/48 conversion if it were (realistically) priced at $250-300?

Though it looks simple when all the panels are closed, the TH armor is actualy quite complex, with thinwall panels & undercuts in the shoulder module, and a skeletal frame for the leg armor comprised of both rods and oddly-cut thin cross-sections, and then there are all the missiles. Long sculpting time, coupled with those thin, hard-to-cast parts = expensive model ( or at least it'll be expensive if you hire competent professionals.) More so if all parties have to turn a buck over a very small production run.

Food for thought.

$250-$300 sounds a bit high but i understand what you're saying, but if there were higher production numbers, the price would drop, no? i'm not saying anything in the 1000's but atleast a 100 or more?

if you go ahead with this project, i think you should do a non-refundable "half the money up front" type of pre-order. 1, so you can cover the costs upfront and 2, cause anyone who flakes loses their deposit so you don't take a loss on all the materials and such.

if you have any extra armor sets, you can always offer them here(or ebay) at a higher mark up(they don't pre-order, they don't get preferred pricing ;) ).

obviously this deal isn't for everyone(those who are broke) but if someone was honestly interested, they shouldn't have a problem forking over half the dough and being patient until its done. :unsure: i can't speak for everyone but i wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the finished product is delivered......eventually. :p

some QQ, would that $250 price tag include the price of the FP's? or would we have to provide those? or would you just make you're own? would you do it in the grey or match the color of the existing FP armor? or leave it raw and have us paint it?

It would be a bit tough to find 100+ orders for an expensive toy conversion of a subject that isn't cannon. Besides, the silicone molds from which the castings are produce will typically have a life of about 35-50 pulls. Afterwards, you have to re-tool, and that in itself incurs cost.

The $250-300 price tag would be for the TH armor only, no fast packs...They could be offered pre-pigmented, with only minor painting required. To take existing FPs, disassemble and mold/cast them would cost more than buying the whole FP kit, so it's easier for consumers to simply procure their own, and paint them.

alrighty then, where do i sign up. :p

i would say if you could match the existing color of the FPs or close to it, it would be best for everyone. that way people don't have to paint at all or atleast keep the painting to minimum.

don't get me wrong, i like the grey but if i have to paint the existing FP's and the TH armor, thats just a lot of work for a not-so-great-at-painting-anything guy like myself. :D i'm sure most here would agree, since most of us are far from wmcheng, devin, kurt, youself or any of our other skilled model painters here.

If it takes a long time, I'll be able to save money for it. :)

I was thinking no more than a 50 piece production run per item at best for the initial orders (the VF-1D and hi detail kit may go up to 80-100). I know a few of the ballers here will take more than 1 piece if we can get enough volume to keep the pricing down.

If you need more orders to see this get green lit, I can spread the word to get orders from HK, Rob can help with Japan, Noel can help round up Singaporean, Jin for Danish, and others can help to get he word out globally. The American market is already here on MW.

And yes, for some of the projects, you will need a full Super or Strike setup to re-use certain parts. Its too bad the FP kits are out of production for now so get those while you can. All of the ones I have left are on hold for my existing customers.

Edited by Neova

I had have another idea,i would like to throw on the table, if it ever comes to pass i prolly wont be able to put into it as i am a poor college student but, as i was stareing at the page with all the parts listing in my 1/48 instruction manual, and i thought, mabie with modification of some of the peices, a VF-1 could be modified into a VF-zero. We all know yamato's 1/100 zero while imensely improved, is not perfect.the transformation of the 1/48 should be simlar to zero. alot would have to be modified, but the basic frame work is already there in the 1/48. and i think the casting/modification work would likely be fairly equivlant to modifing the VF-1 into a stampeede valk. as the stampy is fairly diffrent from your standerd VF-1

Again this is an idea id just like to toss up for you guys to pick apart at.:)

While it's true that the VF-0 shares a similar although not completely identical transformation sequence to the VF-1, nearly every single part (head, chestplate, backplate, backpack, arms, legs, nose, wings, tails) is shaped differently enough compared to the VF-1 that you would basically have to resculpt the whole toy from scratch. Not to mention that the VF-0 is significantly larger than the VF-1.

Graham

I'd get the -1D conversion, the Thunder Hammer GBP, and the Stampeed conversion (although adding the Thunder Hammer to a -1D doesn't sound easy, and I only have the one Valk). Of course, I could just get the -1D and the Stampeed for a dual-seat Stampeed (or a dual-seat Dual Strike, which I already have the other parts for).