SIN CITY Trailer

Amped

The movie looks cool from the trailer but I doubt it will do well in the theatre, becuase it does go for a small audience. I also hold out hope sicne Frank Miller is apparently keeping a tight leash on the production. Plus its got Carla Gugino necked, heck yeah, she be a hottie.

Missed it! Damn. I am really looking forward to this. From the trailer, can you tell if it will be shot in black and white? I REALLY hope it is, so it'll look like the comic.

From what was shown on the trailer there are brief uses of color, not the the extent where it's used to move the story (a la HERO). But for brief situations where they want to show the passage of time (like the little girl wearing the coat in Schindler's List).

I've NEVER read Frank Miller's graphic novels so I'm at a loss. It sure looks GREAT though. B))

Its gonna be in Black and White, except for certain things. for instance, That Yellow Bastard will be Yellow, Blood will probably be red, and so on. looks awesome. the casting looks dead on. Mickey Rourke as Marv and Clive Owen as Dwight. the Ladies are gonna rock this one. Jessica Alba, Carla Gugino and Rosario Dawson.

If You haven't, read the Trade Paper Back Collections. these things kick ass.

Its gonna be in Black and White, except for certain things. for instance, That Yellow Bastard will be Yellow, Blood will probably be red, and so on. looks awesome. the casting looks dead on. Mickey Rourke as Marv and Clive Owen as Dwight. the Ladies are gonna rock this one. Jessica Alba, Carla Gugino and Rosario Dawson.

If You haven't, read the Trade Paper Back Collections. these things kick ass.

Isn't rourke a little small to play marv?

OK, so if the film adapts material from 3 of Frank Miller's graphic novels 'Sin City', 'That Yellow Bastard' and 'The Big Fat Kill', does anybody know if the movie is going to be filmed as 3 seperate short stories, say 30-40 minutes each, or are they going to somehow combine the 3 stories into 1?

Graham

Jessica Alba as a stripper?!!!! :blink:  Might be worth seeing if she takes it off.  ;)

she already did in The Sleeping Dictionary. :p

She did? Time to look for that movie. :D

According to one of the reviews on Amazon, Jessica Alba used a body double for the topless scenes in 'The Sleeping Dictionery'. Also, it gets pretty crap reviews.

Graham

OK, so if the film adapts material from 3 of Frank Miller's graphic novels 'Sin City', 'That Yellow Bastard' and 'The Big Fat Kill', does anybody know if the movie is going to be filmed as 3 seperate short stories, say 30-40 minutes each, or are they going to somehow combine the 3 stories into 1?

Graham

I'm just making a guess here, but the format might be vaguely reminicent of Pulp Fiction, in that it's 3 short stories all happening at the same time so you get some overlapping in places.

I would say read the original Sin City first, then A Dame to Kill for and The Big Fat Kill. I have not read That Yellow Bastard, Family Values or Booze, Broads and Bullets, But i really liked the first three, so check em out first.

Also, Try 300 if you haven't. that is one awesome book. its about the battle of Thermopolyae in 481 BCE, and its freaking great. I head they're thinking of adopting this one into a film as well.

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

Sin City (1st book) is by far the best and a Dame to Kill For is a great noiry type story. Big Fat Kill is not bad, but more violence than plot. Yellow Bastard was average and I stopped reading after that.

Mr. March - other good Miller stuff is Batman: Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (best ever comic next to Watchmen). Also, track down Hard Boiled (eye popping artwork by Geoff Darrow) Give Me Liberty is also excellent. He did the 4 issue Woverine mini series that preceded the regular series which is good too, and heaps of Daredevil in the late 70's/81/82.

Ronin (6 ep mini series) was OK and The Dark Knight Strikes Again was a total disappointment (IMO).

I would say read the original Sin City first, then A Dame to Kill for and The Big Fat Kill. I have not read That Yellow Bastard, Family Values or Booze, Broads and Bullets, But i really liked the first three, so check em out first.

Also, Try 300 if you haven't. that is one awesome book. its about the battle of Thermopolyae in 481 BCE, and its freaking great. I head they're thinking of adopting this one into a film as well.

300 rocks. As does Miller's run on Daredevil or the Dark Knight Returns.

But as far as Sin City goes - the best read is That Yellow Bastard. The first GN is awesome, but you can tell Miller was just finding his way around his city. Dwight's stories are also great - but Hartigan is the guy I think of when I think of Sin City.

That Yellow Bastard has all of the visual style of the others, but it has more of a heart, too. It's just Miller at his best, IMHO. I'm not sure which collection has the short story/comic Blue Eyes, but that one's also a killer piece.

Anybody checking out the comic would dig That Yellow Bastard, it's highly recommended.

Jessica Alba as a stripper?!!!! :blink:  Might be worth seeing if she takes it off.  ;)

she already did in The Sleeping Dictionary. :p

She did? Time to look for that movie. :D

According to one of the reviews on Amazon, Jessica Alba used a body double for the topless scenes in 'The Sleeping Dictionery'. Also, it gets pretty crap reviews.

Graham

022.gif

Well, I picked up the first TPB of Sin City after work today and I'll give it a read. If I really enjoy it, I'll get "A Dame To Kill For" and "The Big Fat Kill" next. Thanks for the information everyone.

Guppy,

I've read Batman Year One and I've also read The Dark Knight Returns twice. TDKR is an excellent book. I've also read Watchmen, which is another fine story. And yes, I've read Miller's now famous run on Daredevil (this was my first exposure to Miller). THanks for the suggestions.

I've heard the Dark Knight Strikes Again was mediocre at best, so it hasn't been a priority. Right now, I'm looking forward to the finish of Straczynski's Rising Stars this October, November, and January.

Blaine23,

If I like the first Sin City, I'll probably check out the others. I must admit, just the title for the 4th series sounds hilarious :)

What's really amazing is that most of the scenes in that 'teaser' have yet to have backgrounds and stylized effects added... and it's still stinkin' with style!!! B))

I have high hopes for this one. Because of all the acting talent (and eye candy thrown in for good measure)... and Miller's gritty take on the film noir storytelling genre, I think that, at best, this flick could be a real cinematic and stylistic stortytelling gem. At worst it'll be a vissually stunning 'flop' like Dark City or Dune.