Re: Cutie Honey

areaseven

re-cutiehoney.jpg

Re: Cutie Honey Episode 1: Heaven's Volume ( Reキューティーハニー 『第一話「天」の巻』 )

Dynamic Planning/GAINAX/Laterna/Toei Co. Ltd., 2004

U.S. Distributor Pending

Presented by Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster, Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Dead Leaves)

Not Rated (Suggested 17+). Contains graphic violence, gratuitous T&A, HLA and S&M.

"HONEY FLASH!"

A mysterious organization known as Panther Claw make their presence known by terrorizing Tokyo and giving the cops a run for their money. Police are further baffled by the appearance of a lone cosplaying vigilante who thwarts all of Panther Claw's evil schemes before disappearing. That cosplayer is Honey Kisaragi, the result of the late Professor Kisaragi's prize experiment. A master of disguise, Honey can magically alter her physical appearance and outfits. But with a push of the heart-shaped button on her choker, she transforms herself into Cutie Honey, the scantily-clad, sword-wielding warrior of love and justice.

"Stars in the sky! Flowers on the Earth! Love to human beings! Warrior of Love! Cutie Honey!"

Story: B+

"Another Cutey Honey remake?" you might ask. Well, to coincide with the recent live-action release, director Hideaki Anno decided that the anime franchise needed a complete makeover. The result: a Cutie Honey title that's funnier and raunchier than its predecessors (the original 1973 series, 1994's New Cutey Honey and 1997's Cutey Honey Flash). Look no further than at Re: Cutie Honey if fan service is what you crave.

Animation: B+

Never mind that Re: Cutie Honey looks more cartoonish and has more funky colors than the previous titles. The art style actually suits the title very well. And you gotta dig Natsuko's gunfight scene. Character designs by Sadafumi Hiramatsu (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi).

Soundtrack: B+

Adding to the fun is a retro '60s-style BGM by Susumu Ueda (Narutaru) and a new version of the Cutie Honey anthem by J-Pop sensation Kumi Koda (Final Fantasy X-2). The BGM used in Natsuko's gunfight is even a small homage to Kill Bill.

Cast

Re: Cutie Honey features Yui Horie (Jubei-chan 2, Naru in Love Hina) as Honey, Junko Noda (Mitsune in Love Hina, Reki in Haibane Renmei) as Natsuko, Hideo Ishikawa (Ryoma in Shin Getter Robo, Fullbody in One Piece) as Seiji, Kazue Itakura as Sister Jill, Noriko Uemura (Queen Metallia in Sailor Moon) as Gold Claw, Yumi Touma (Urd in Ah! My Goddess, Deedlit in Record of Lodoss War) as Black Claw, Mami Kingetsu (Miharu in Gasaraki, Nagisa in If I See You in My Dreams) as Cobalt Claw, Hiromi Konno (Kikou Sen'nyo Rouran) as Scarlet Claw, Yuka Komatsu as Rinko, Tomoko Kaneda (Chiyo-chan in Azumanga Daioh, Bonta-kun in Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu) as Mayumi, and Bin Shimada (Stick in Genesis Climber Mospeada, Nakajima in You're Under Arrest) as the assistant manager,

The Bottom Line

Despite the hokey animation, Re: Cutie Honey is the most enjoyable of all the franchise's animated incarnations.

Links

Official Re: Cutie Honey Homepage (Japanese)

GAINAX's Official Re: Cutie Honey Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

"Kawaru wa yo!"

Edited by areaseven

Not Rated (Suggested 17+). Contains gratuitous T&A,

As opposed to all that non-gratuitous, intellectual and meaningful T&A.

LOL

:lol:

Looks funny. I saw the preview movie on the website. Sure it showed some T&A (strategicially censored, though) But it looks funny. How many episodes is it?

No strategic censoring in the actual show. Pretty funny, but Gainax/Anno are really starting to grasp at straws in trying to show off their "otaku-ness."

Funny. I was wondering what Anno was going to do next. I thought that after His & Hers Circumstances he'd quit animation for a bit, and last I'd heard, had made a live action movie.

Is it just me, or is there something slightly Rei-ish about Honey there?! :huh:

If you want a post-Karekano project, look for something called Ebichu Minds The House.

Funny. I was wondering what Anno was going to do next. I thought that after His & Hers Circumstances he'd quit animation for a bit, and last I'd heard, had made a live action movie.

Is it just me, or is there something slightly Rei-ish about Honey there?!  :huh:

If you want a post-Karekano project, look for something called Ebichu Minds The House.

"WTF IS THAT HAMSTER DOING?!"

Is it just me, or is there something slightly Rei-ish about Honey there?!  :huh:

I've seen it.

Believe me, I've seen it. :blink:

I will never, ever look at hamsters in quite the same way again...

I've seen it.

:o Now I dont want to know..

I've seen it.

:o Now I dont want to know..

I've seen Man-faye in person, a hamster can't be worse than that! :p

After seeing Dirty Pair Flash, I avoid any other show with the word "flash" in the title.

Well, considering that it feels more like Sailor Moon than Cutey Honey (it was done by the same animators of Sailor Moon and it took over Sailor Moon Sailor Stars' timeslot), Cutey Honey Flash may be a turn-off to most fans. However, I've noticed that the show still has a pretty large fan following.