Robotech the movie

kanedaestes

now i know, eveyone here would much rather watch a live action macross movie, but come on if it were to be made here in america, because of bs over rights it would have to be a robotech movie. now, let say this film came out, in i don't know like 5 years or so, as long as it was done by a director who was really good, and hopefully a fan of the show, espicially a macross, fan would you watch it? and if so who would you like to see protray your favorite macross characters. i figure if they do the movie if should be based off the macross saga the most popular, and should kind of retell it, without changing anything big. you all talk about how macross isn't as popular in japan as gundam or most series, but if this movie is released there,( which i doubt hory froatind head would allow) but if, imagine what it could do to revitalize the macross franchise as everyone will be interested, or think of the controversy that it will be associated with if they do release it in japan, nothing like a little controversy, so what are your thoughts

You mean a 2nd Robotech movie?

They already came out with a Robotech movie in the 80's.

I have it on VHS.......

http://www.coolstuffvideos.com/images/imagerobotechmovie.JPG

I guess if they made another Robotech movie i would give it a try.

Then i would come here to MW & most likely bash it.

Edited by fansubs2000

okay you'll aren't paying attention, i mean a live action one that can be made here in the states, because it is made in the states it would have to be robotech, because of harmony gold, now i would much rather watch a live action macross movie, but you know legal stuff, and why would you bash it? if it is good, and is more like macross than robotech, but must carry the robotech name to be released then why would you bash it? you have to remember right now it is hard to release anything macross in the states, so thus the movie would be named robotech, not macross, but it would be like watching a live action macross, not robotech. get it?

Wait... wait.....

What would the name be?

Macross? no, no, Robotech.

Wait, you mean Mcross, or Robotech, wait, wait...

Tell me it again, cause i just don't get it.

Robotech, right?

OK i get it Macr.. i mean Robotech.

ahhh..

So yeah i would love it if they made a Macross movie named Macross here in the states.

You know what would be REALLY cool?

If it were a live acion movie!

YES! I AM A GENIUS!!

(Not Max Jenius)

yes you are a genius, now genuis, prepare to fight a legal battle with harmony gold over the rights to produce macross related materials, which they say they own since the purchased it as robotech.

um honestly to my knowledge i don't know, but this post wasn't posted for arguing the whole hg vs. macross debate, i was simply asking if a movie came out with the moniker robotech, but was in every way macross, would you see it, and who would you like to see of the big screen. i really don't care if they do or don't, i was stating that if a movie came out it may have to be called robotech, but if let's say someone like graham made it, even though it would be called robotech, because you knew graham is involved you knew it was really macross, would you go and see, and who are your casting chocies, i hope this clears things up

well i am sorry if it was discussed before, i am new here and very bored at work and was hoping to talk about something i thought might be interesting, i mean i have other reasons as well as to why i started this thread, but never mind now, how about this, what are you opinions on MACROSS movie, how about that.

kanedaestes, you're mistaken about a fundamental fact. Harmony Gold has no objection in principle to products using the Macross name and based on the original Macross story. Provided, that is, that HG is recognized as the licensor and gets paid. Cases in point include the SDF Macross DVD's released by Animeigo, the SDF Macross Super Posables relesed by Toynami, and the new DYRL Super Posables by Toynami.

If you want to debate this, you might try to legal debates section of the Other Anime and Science Fiction forum. Actually, this thread belongs in that forum assuming you really want to talk about a Robotech movie. An if that's what you're talking about, then I doubt you'll find many interested parties, because the changes to Macross in Robotech are disliked here. Furthermore, because Harmony Gold lacks any real creative talent or insight, regardless of general storyline used in the movie, it would probably be crap.

Now if HG could somehow be sidelined, I suppose a good live-action movie based on the original Macross plot could conceivably be made. But it would run into the same difficulties as DYRL--i.e., how to take the story elements spread over 27 or 36 TV episodes, and compress or edit them into a 2-3 hour movie? It would also have to deal with the difficulties of translating transforming robots airplanes and giant aliens to the live action medium without evoking giggles from the audience. There are also many other elements which work well in anime but which may be hard to accept in live action. So the producers would have a difficult decision: retain those elements and risk looking foolish, or cut them and risk destroying whatever it is that makes Macross enjoyable. Not to mention enraging the existing fanbase.

Anyway, yes, if the producers and director somehow managed to make a good movie, I'd watch it.

BTW, if scientists genetically engineer a miniature elephant that eats nuclear waste and poops gold bricks, I'll buy one.

well i am sorry if it was discussed before, i am new here and very bored at work and was hoping to talk about something i thought might be interesting, i mean i have other reasons as well as to why i started this thread, but never mind now, how about this, what are you opinions on MACROSS movie, how about that.

Thanks for having a good sense of humor... We are mostly clowns here.

You mean DYRL right? There are a ton of threads about that. I personally think, with the exception of Conan The Barbarian, it is the greatest movie ever made.

i think that it could work on the big screen, there was once a time where x-men and spiderman couldn't have worked, at least not without people laugh at the costumes and everything, we live in the era of great computer animation, and although i personally don't like it have the time, i think that it could be done, i mean it would be like watching top gun, except the mechs change, it isn't as impossible as it may seem, and as far as story goes, that can be done easily, no one said that you have to cover the entire series, when they make comic movies they don't try to cover everything, they explain major points, which can be done at the beginning like star wars, and you can show a side story. i never said the main characters of the show had to be the main characters of the movie. (alert another robotech reference) look at robotech battlecry the game, it was someone else's story, and he just happens to cross paths with the main characters, or it can be handled differently than that, but it is possible.

by the way, yall, (that's right i am from texas) love to bash robotech, but if it wasn't for robtech you wouldn't have me here to pick on me, because i wouldn't care on anime,

oh and ps, you all can kiss my ass. :)

Edited by kanedaestes

by the way, yall, (that's right i am from texas) love to bash robotech, but if it wasn't for robtech you wouldn't have me here to pick on me, because i wouldn't care on anime,

I think the flaming is complete, now all you have to do is pose as the little white stuffed animal for kermit,,,

JK, welcome aboard ;)

Where are you from? I grew up in Dallas

i am origianly from belguim, i spent most of my childhood in germany watching what i thought were normal cartoons, only to find out later they were anime, it was running rampant over there, then i moved to pissant killeen, texas, aka fort hood. most of you know where it is, so i am about 2 hours away, and though i do like robotech, for all of you out there macross is my heart, and my first love, or i wouldn't be here now. now the real reason i posted this is because i have enlisted into the airforce at the ripe ol age of 23, and i am trying to get this cool ass audio visaul job, where you learn to work cameras, i thought that i may be cool if that in 4 yrs when i get out, i would try to beg studios to give me a chance at making the movie, though it is a far fetched dream, you never know, i have a lot of drive and ambition when it comes to macross.

Welcome kanedaestes... here's some links to help you find out what we're chastising you about...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

http://protoculture.lebhead.com/

http://macross.anime.net/

Just to let you know people here have an aversion to

1. RT related threads outside the "Other Anime" section

2. Live action movies about anime

3. Tofu

I happen to like tofu...

;)

yeah i have been to all those, and studied them already, except protoculture, i am not new to macross or macrossworld, i am new to the forum, but i do appreciate the heads up on the rt references. but it is cool i understand, for the most part, within my group of friends, and most of this town that i hate, i am like the macross expert, people who have corrected many of so call "experts" but i never called my self one, because i was always on these site realizing how much i really don't know. but it is nice to be among those who understand paying 150 dollars on the latest 1/48 valk from yamato.

yeah i have been to all those, and studied them already, except protoculture, i am not new to macross or macrossworld, i am new to the forum, but i do appreciate the heads up on the rt references. but it is cool i understand, for the most part, within my group of friends, and most of this town that i hate, i am like the macross expert, people who have corrected many of so call "experts" but i never called my self one, because i was always on these site realizing how much i really don't know. but it is nice to be among those who understand paying 150 dollars on the latest 1/48 valk from yamato.

I wouldn't say it's understood... Collecting Macross is like a roller coaster ride... you sit, strap yourself down, and scream for your life... at the end you ask the guy that works there if you can go again and again...

I think the main issue with the thread here is that you specifically asked about a Robotech movie, and there is a very distinct line between Macross and Robotech. This thread should be in the Other Sci-fi forum, not in the Macross-specific forums.

That's not to say you won't get any grief down there either. Live action versions of manga and anime are generally regarded with weary annoyance, and rightfully so as theres things you can accomplish in animated form that simply do not translate at all into live action.

The movie might be decent in it's own right, but the differences between it and the anime are likely to put off most Macross fans.

Secondly, a lot of people at Macrossworld don't like Robotech, for various reasons. First, imagine you're an artist, and you creater comic, or piece of artwork. But you needed to borrow a friend's markers to finish it. In return, you allow that friend to show off that piece of artwork, and only that piece of artwork., and maybe sell some merchandise based on that artwork and that artwork alone.

Now imagine your friend sells those rights to a friend of his, same rights that you gave your friend initially. They chop up the artwork, remove your name from it, and combine it with a couple pieces of artwork your friend made, and call it a brand new product.

Here's the kicker, you get to become even more famous and do even more artwork, and you start spreading it around, but when you get to your friend's friend's neighborhood, he sends lawyers after you telling you to stop, because the guy claims he owns your artwork.

Fun, eh? So, for reasons of artistic integity, some people don't like Robotech. Lots of people think Harmony Gold uses unethical business tactics beyond what most companies get away with, and for that reason they don't like Robotech. Robotech is simplified and aimed at a younger audience than Macross, for that reason some don't like Robotech.

Some people don't dislike Robotech at all, but they dislike Harmony Gold (hate the people, not the product mentality).

For all these reasons, Robotech is not well accepted here. Just a belated heads-up for you. There are some Robotech fans here, but still you'll want to keep RT threads to the Other Sci-fi section and expect some less than warm responses.

To the topic at hand, well I'm simply not interested in Robotech. I might check it out, but I'd be more upset than pleased to see them using Macross designs or story elements, for reasons best left to the legal debate thread. I'm also not a fan of trying to make a live action version of an animated story, for reasons I've stated above, but I'm willing to extrapolate on if asked. I'd still be less than enthusiastic over a live action Macross movie, I'd prefere a new animated Macross movie, for the same reasons given above.

I'd be willing to give either a Robotech or a Macross live action film a chance, but I would not hold high hopes of a pleasant experience, and if previews, trailers, and news on the creative staff behind it lead me to believe my fears of such a film were warranted, then I'd probably wait for video release, or at least the cheap theatres.

cool, anyway the problem with live action anime and manga is who is doing them and why, remember when comic movies were a joke? spawn anyone? tank girl? but it took real fans with great imagination, and drive to bring the characters they love to life in the right way. i am always ready for the next animated tale, just like i was with comics, but nothing compares to seeing live action. think about it have jerry bruckheimer of top gun come on board, find a director with exstensive knowledge of the material, and is doing it for the love of the story and craft, and not for the money, i guarantee you it could work and be great. i hate anime, manga, and video game movies with a passion, but only because the movie industry trys to capitalize on an idea, but not put the proper people behind it, best example Aliens vs Predator

I knew a belguim exchange student in highschool. Man was she hot. Now that I think about it she wasn't really that hot but compared to all the in-bred local girls with their board backs and hairy upper lips this belguim girl was a goddess.

Wait why was I posting in here again? Oh yeah what EXo said at Aug 26 2004, 03:31 PM works.

:lol: