My ALF DVD's are EDITED!

Gaijin

OK, I picked up the season one DVD set of ALF...and was shocked when I found out they epsidoes were cut...like they were syndicated....missing music...certain jokes gone...most episodes are cut by about 2 mins. Each episode runs maybe 21 mins...most 80's sitcoms were 24 mins...I thought it was my imagination at first, but I clearly remember certain scenes which are not here...the christmas one is missing ALF reading Willie the instructions about the fake tree...Willie playing the keyboard in the rock video one...Lynn telling the family "I just serve it Buster" when practicing her waitressing...sadly another TV on DVD release arrives that is not uncut.

Plus...the Scanavo case they use have overlapping discs...many a floater around. Lion's Gate get s a thumbs down on the cut episodes and the packaging. Other than that....the set would have been nice because what IS there is good. Great menus...semi decent extras for an old show too.

:angry:

People... people...

ALF??

SLEDGEHAMMER??

Jeebus, just because they are releasing every crap ass show from the 80's on DVD, doesn't mean we have to buy them!! :(

Will you tell us what to buy then? :p

Seriously, I liked them. And no, it's not nostalgia...I like them as much today as 20 years ago. Nostalgia was Transformers and GI Joe....watching them now makes me laugh.

I'm no fan of ALF but Sledgehammer F'ing rocks. A person who does not enjoy a good Sledgehammer episode has too much culture and sophistication to be a true child of the '80s. :p

OK, so they are releasing everything that ever came out... I'm sure the small wonder DVD criterion collection will be on the horizon just after the Manimal and Automan boxed sets. Yes the '80s spawned a ton of really, really terrible programming... but when it comes down to it near everything the '80s spouted is terrible compared to other things that have come along later. Sledgehammer to me is a classic, when I watch it I like it. Different strokes for different folks... (Dif'rent Strokes coming out on DVD soon).

Edit to add: And I can't speak for the ALF set but I got my Sledgehammer set for $20... $20! For the price of one suck-ass movie I got over 500 minutes of a show I loved as a teen.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

It's yet another example of people censoring the brilliant but cutting satirical humor of a show that could only be described as subversive, entertaining, compelling... and yes, life-changing... that show is Alf.

It's alot like the book-burnings and witch trials that have plauged our poor country for centuries and beyond. The higher forces will always seek to suppress the art of revolution.

Damn the empirical forces that keep us from enjoying the raw, passionate genius of Alf without unneccessary blinders! Damn them to hell!

:p

*waits patiently for Knight Rider*

They'll probably remove all the gay innuendos KITT had for Michael...

What the hell is that whore doing in here Michael? Why do you only help out hot chicks?

Ah... that was one good episode...

the only one good episode...

OK, I picked up the season one DVD set of ALF...and was shocked when I found out they epsidoes were cut...like they were syndicated....missing music...certain jokes gone...most episodes are cut by about 2 mins. Each episode runs maybe 21 mins...most 80's sitcoms were 24 mins...

At the end of the day, I'm sure that this is somehow George Lucas' fault. That nasty childhood rapist. Why can't he leave poor Alf alone?

At the end of the day, I'm sure that this is somehow George Lucas' fault. That nasty childhood rapist. Why can't he leave poor Alf alone?

Spoiler alert!

ALF SHOOTS FIRST!!! :ph34r:

Yep. George Lucas and his apprentice Bill Gates are secretly building a Death Star XP Professional in Redmond. From there, they will exert total control over all media in the galaxy.

Spoiler alert!

ALF SHOOTS FIRST!!! :ph34r:

Yep. George Lucas and his apprentice Bill Gates are secretly building a Death Star XP Professional in Redmond. From there, they will exert total control over all media in the galaxy.

George Lucas also employs a team of ninjas who sneak into your storage room at night to break your old GI Joes and steal all the little loose pieces from your G1 transformers. No childhood memory is safe!

Just wondering about the first season restrospective 1 hour episode, the one where ALF loses his memory. After they'd first ran it, they changed a couple of things during subsequent airings. ALF's voice from the pilot flashback scenes was changed to the quieter voice it became later on in the series, not the original near-booming voice from the pilot. The second thing changed is how he lost his memory. The original version had him somehow shock himself while taking a bath. The altered version had him slipping and hitting his head on the tub. When you get to it, let us know which one you have.

Just wondering about the first season restrospective 1 hour episode, the one where ALF loses his memory. After they'd first ran it, they changed a couple of things during subsequent airings. ALF's voice from the pilot flashback scenes was changed to the quieter voice it became later on in the series, not the original near-booming voice from the pilot. The second thing changed is how he lost his memory. The original version had him somehow shock himself while taking a bath. The altered version had him slipping and hitting his head on the tub. When you get to it, let us know which one you have.

Well, that one does have the "Changed" voice that they used after and also, he does apparently slip and hit his head. On a side note, the opening credits on that one is the original longer one with his hand trying to get the pie in the fridge...

The buzz so far is that Mr. Fusco is NOT pleased, especially since he did the menus so well. Lions Gate is apparently doing the major backpaddle and is quiet...the last statement they gave was that the syndicated episodes were already digitized and so...there ya go...then they retracted that and now the statement is they're finding out what happened.

TV shows on DVD with syndiacted cut episodes is just wrong. I still like the show, but oddly, the scenes that are missing are the quotes I remembered most. That really bites.

Alf sucks. I wouldn't want that series on DVD as a gift.

I got Sledge Hammer as a gift, though, and have been laughing my ass off. Loved that show as a kid and am enjoying it now... though admittedly most of it is nostalgia. Some of it so corny it's funny (Sledge punching the snake, for example). ;)