Seed vol 1

Keith

Just got the first volume with box yesturday. Transfer (as expected) blow's the HK disc's away, and really show off how pretty a show it is. Menu's are kinda bland though, and extra's as usual are minimal, but all intro's & endings are intact with the original Japanese text.

The box is pretty nice too, black with great art all around (though why they used Lacus for the bottom is anyones guess). Not as firm as I'd like, but not as flimsy as what ADV's been using. Probably about the same stock as the Wing box set.

It also looks like volumes will be released 2 every 2 months (volumes 2 & 3 are scheduled for october 12th), which is annoying, but what can you do? If you haven't peeked at AoD yet though, there's been more Otakon news:

-Zeta will be out this year, with a poster & non-disclosed special item.

-F-91 (whenever it's released) will be a 2 disc set, most likely containing the movie & OVA on seperate disc's.

-Yukikaze will definately only be 2 volumes, with the second of course pending release of the 5th episode.

Should have my Seed vol1+box tomorrow hopefully. I'll give it a view this weekend hopefully.

Also very much looking forward to F91 and Zeta, more so as they get closer.

-F-91 (whenever it's released) will be a 2 disc set, most likely containing the movie & OVA on seperate disc's.

OVA? What OVA are you referring to?

The original idea was for a 50+ epsiode series to be aired, but I think they changed it into a Movie format after a bunch of episodes were written out. Never heard of any other animation released other than the movie, though.... :huh: I'd also be very interested.

there never was a ova that i know of, just the film. the film f-91 did not do well in the box office and it ruined the chance to for the actual series to be released , that was the F-90 series,

IIRC, they did actually complete 12 or so episodes or at least scripts of F91, but then condensed it into a movie.

http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam/f91.htm

That is why one of the main problems with F91 is that it feels so rushed. Case in point, in the first 15 minutes of the film, Seabrook gets shot, and then 20 minutes later in the film, someone is telling him that his arm should be done healing by now. In the film, you get the sense that only a day or so has gone by, though I'm sure in the episodic format, it was several episodes later.

It would be very interesting if F91 came with the OVA, I don't think it has ever been seen before. If Bandai found it somewhere, and is restoring it, then bravo!.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I'm aware of the original plans to write F91 as a 52-episode TV series, but none of those episodes were ever animated, to my knowledge. The condensed movie and the sequel manga, Crossbone Gundam, are all we got. Before I saw this thread I figured the second disc would just be all extras (although considering how sparse extras were on the CCA disc, a whole second disc for F91 is surprising), but then here Keith mentioned the OVA. I thought maybe there was something out there I was unaware of, like the little movie clips included on the 08th MS Team DVDs, but it looks like it was really just a misunderstanding.

Seed is like 50+ episodes right? So how many volumes would that be?

SEED is 50 episodes long, which will probably translate to twelve volumes. It's possible they might do five episodes per disc over ten volumes, like they did for Gundam Wing, but more recent releases like G Gundam were done four episodes per disc. So I imagine the first two discs will have five episodes and the ten subsequent volumes will have four each.

Edit: Actually just after I wrote this post I noticed that Anime on DVD lists SEED volume 3 as being 125 minutes long. Assuming that's not an error, it looks like SEED will be ten volumes, five episodes each.

Edited by phuqueue

There are 2 versions of F91, the theatrical version and a "final edition" release that was only available on home video (I have it on LD). There were never any OVA or TV episodes animated - the cels they used for the production were all extra wide for theatrical aspect ratio instead of the standard 10.5 x 9 inches for TV screen ratio.

There are 2 versions of F91, the theatrical version and a "final edition" release that was only available on home video (I have it on LD). There were never any OVA or TV episodes animated - the cels they used for the production were all extra wide for theatrical aspect ratio instead of the standard 10.5 x 9 inches for TV screen ratio

That would be it then. An earlier press release this year (or perhaps last) made it sound like it was an OVA alternate version (same footage, different edit). Most likely each version will get a disc.

BTW, Seed will indeed be 10 volumes, 5 episodes per disc. This has been comfirmed.

Edited by Keith

-Yukikaze will definately only be  2 volumes, with the second of course pending release of the 5th episode.

Settle in for a wait on that one, as episode 5 won't be released in Japan until March 2005.

Any news about the release date for Zeta ?

No earlier than November, probably December.

I tried looking for SEED 0_o guess I goofed....oh well I already got the whole series on bootleg and the subs are fine.

I've already seen F91 and was dissapointed by that, so I may just skip it entirely, Zeta gundam I'm waiting impatiently for sinc eI didn't get to finish the series.... :angry:

5 episodes per disc for tv gundam is standard so we're pretty good off there at least.

3 episodes a disc for Full Metal Alchemist is something to complain about.

Yes, Bandai should be commended with their episode counts. No fewer than 4 episodes per disc for a TV series (and sometimes 5 episodes for long series) should be the norm.

And since the last episode of Yukizaze is going to be an hour long, it's ok. Though I think they're just afraid of being shown up by Zero.

Edited by Keith

3 episodes a disc for Full Metal Alchemist is something to complain about.

When is that coming out, anyways? I really, really hope Funimation isn't seriously planning to release it 3 eps to a disc.. that's just greedy now at days.

It will be on TV in November and the first dvd is expected around January 2005, I believe.

And it's confirmed that it will be three episodes per disk (or rather a 16 disk release, which means it will be 4/4/4/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3)