1\60 RX-178 Gundam MkII Titan

Armor

Sorry I don't have much to show this time. I 've been working on this thing for hours and all I've got to show for it, is two feet and two halfs of the legs. I've been dry brushing and washing it as I go along. Thats why it's taking so long. Feet look cool though.

post-26-1091938883_thumb.jpg

Actually I think he's doing quite a fine job so far. Interesting weathering as well.

That's... really not that great a job, nor very inspiring camera work.

Cut him some slack, will ya? ;)

The photography's off.. but at least there's the effort into making the model looks different from "Out-of-Box". It's generally more effort that what I put into my HGUC/ MGs anyhow.

Armor: You REALLY need to figure out how to get sharper pics; the out-of-focus nature detracts from what you are doing. If you are using a webcam to take the pics.. I strongly suggest getting even a low-end 2 megapixel for these work.

if your using a digi cam set the resolution to highest and into macro mode. turn off the flash and flood the area with lights. resize to make the 56kers happy on the board. the project looks good

Edited by Zentrandude

Can't see how that's not good, it's better than what I can do with my Gundam kit....I like how he made it look from plastic to scratched up metal, looks like he used a silver marker or some dried paint and just lightly placed it in random spots.

Can't see how that's not good, it's better than what I can do with my Gundam kit....I like how he made it look from plastic to scratched up metal, looks like he used a silver marker or some dried paint and just lightly placed it in random spots.

Er... it's not good because it's an OOB job done without full painting, but rather done with the "only paint what "needs" to be done mentality.

Some examples of good mk.IIs:

Y2's HGUC mk.II.

Studio Slam's HGUC mk.II.

Mekomu-Delta's MG mk.II.

Gasdam's HGUC mk.II.

Suezou's HGUC mk.II.

Just building the kit straight out of the box and slapping some barely-visible scratching effects does not make a kit worth giving the thumbs up over. And these mk.IIs I've linked to aren't anything truly special--two modified the Titans themes, one has a custom color job, one is posed with the B-Club flying pack, and one is just built up as a regular old Titans unit. Some, like Y2's, are modded, but since we're talking about paintjob, the mods are irrelevant.

It does not take much effort to get a decently painted model out the door, and I think if you're going to spend a triple digit figure to buy something the size and cost of the PG mk.II, you really should do something with it besides show off its colored plastic.

You also realize that those, all HGUC's with one MG, have only about 10 percent of the parts the PG does? That will add...oh say......with good painting.....6 hours to the project? So until you build one, and make it look half that good, exercise your right to shut the fart up, and get back in your box.

You also realize that those, all HGUC's with one MG, have only about 10 percent of the parts the PG does? That will add...oh say......with good painting.....6 hours to the project?

Holy crap! Six hours! Heaven forbid I should spend my time building a model properly!

It's not a race. Time is irrelevant when it comes to model building.

Bandai has spoiled you all rotten. Next thing we know, B-Club will be releasing resin conversion kits molded in full color and is made for snap-fit.

So what if it's original plastic with lil markings on it? It looks perfectly fine to me, I don't think it even looks cheesey, I'd spend triple digit and just BUILD the damn thing outta respect, I don't need to spray paint or air brush every single piece to make it perfect to the last detail....I enjoy it for what it is.

You also realize that those, all HGUC's with one MG, have only about 10 percent of the parts the PG does? That will add...oh say......with good painting.....6 hours to the project? So until you build one, and make it look half that good, exercise your right to shut the fart up, and get back in your box.

Alright then, here's someone who painted a Perfect Grade mk II:

http://mechaworks.qsurf.org/Gallery/Thirteen/thirteen.htm

Being someone who's spent upwards of 2 months on a project before, the notion of 6 hours being a 'long time' is a bit ridiculous to me.

I must confess, I've done this 'silver all over the edges' kind of work before. When I first started modeling gundams. When I was about 12.

I'm assuming this guy's PG mk II is a beginner work as well, so all I can say is 'keep at it, keep working on building your skills'. Even now, 14 years later, I am still striving to improve my work evermore.

So what if it's original plastic with lil markings on it? It looks perfectly fine to me, I don't think it even looks cheesey, I'd spend triple digit and just BUILD the damn thing outta respect, I don't need to spray paint or air brush every single piece to make it perfect to the last detail....I enjoy it for what it is.

You're not thinking here.

Yes, the PG is larger. Yes, it has more parts. However, it's the same design. Painting its surface pieces would actually take less time than a HGUC or MG, because the parts don't need any seams filled, and they're broken down exactly by color. You group the parts together, you spray them, you let them dry, you assemble. Job done.

So let's say you want to save time. This is simple: you don't paint the internals that you'll never see. This could save you time on the arms in particular, and definitely time along the torso area.

Or you could take the third option: continue treating PGs as expensive toys, rather than the models that they are.

meh <_<

1) Freedom to buy any kit you want

2) Freedom to build that kit however you want or are able

3) Freedom to post the pics for others to see and comment

4) Freedom to make both positive, constructive, supportive, and negative comments

(Although I do not see what's to gain to state purely negative comments. "If you've got nothing good to say.....")

anyways....

Great job on the kit. If I had the cash, I'd build it with nothing but panel lines. And bad ones at that!! :p

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Er... it's not good because it's an OOB job done without full painting, but rather done with the "only paint what "needs" to be done mentality.

Some examples of good mk.IIs:

Y2's HGUC mk.II.

Studio Slam's HGUC mk.II.

Mekomu-Delta's MG mk.II.

Gasdam's HGUC mk.II.

Suezou's HGUC mk.II.

Just building the kit straight out of the box and slapping some barely-visible scratching effects does not make a kit worth giving the thumbs up over. And these mk.IIs I've linked to aren't anything truly special--two modified the Titans themes, one has a custom color job, one is posed with the B-Club flying pack, and one is just built up as a regular old Titans unit. Some, like Y2's, are modded, but since we're talking about paintjob, the mods are irrelevant.

It does not take much effort to get a decently painted model out the door, and I think if you're going to spend a triple digit figure to buy something the size and cost of the PG mk.II, you really should do something with it besides show off its colored plastic.

Dude, unless YOU made any of the kits you linked to, then STFU, and stop bashing someone else for showing off their enthusiasm about a kit they are building. If you don't like the way his kit looks, then here's a thought.... :o don't watch this thread! :o. Wow, an epiphany!.

Next thing you know you'll be posting "Ugly baby" in the occasional birth announcement threads. <_<

meh <_<

1) Freedom to buy any kit you want

2) Freedom to build that kit however you want or are able

3) Freedom to post the pics for others to see and comment

4) Freedom to make both positive, constructive, supportive, and negative comments

(Although I do not see what's to gain to state purely negative comments. "If you've got nothing good to say.....")

anyways....

Great job on the kit. If I had the cash, I'd build it with nothing but panel lines. And bad ones at that!! :p

I more or less agree with your points #1-4.

On the topic of criticism, I feel thusly... if work is genuinely mediocre, and all a person hears is good-natured praise, there's not all that much motivation to work harder next time, and to expand and improve one's technique.

Now, some people may be fine with maintaining their work on a relatively low level. Others may come to find that a more advanced level of craftsmanship is both more rewarding and more personally satisfying.

But if a beginner never gets a a genuine and honest critique, he may never have the chance to find out what level he is ultimately capable of.

When I first started models of any kind, I had no real frame of reference for comparison, so of course I thought my crap was good. But when I started browsing import model magazines, and started seeing other people's work on the internet, I was obliged to accept the fact that I was, in fact, not that good at all. This realization prompted me to seek guidance from those with more experience, and eventually helped me to attain much better results in my own work.

That's how anyone improves in any field really... by having someone point out the areas where one needs improvement.

For all you kids still in school... think about your classroom environment. Don't your teachers correct you when you've made a mistake, or when you're not approaching something the right way? It's all meant to spur the student on to greater heights of achievement.

So if the modeler here would like to go on, and improve, he should be open to comments. If he's perfectly happy with his current level and has no wish to improve, then he's free to disregard all comments here. Pretty simple, no?

Dude, unless YOU made any of the kits you linked to, then STFU, and stop bashing someone else for showing off their enthusiasm about a kit they are building. If you don't like the way his kit looks, then here's a thought.... :o don't watch this thread! :o. Wow, an epiphany!.

Next thing you know you'll be posting "Ugly baby" in the occasional birth announcement threads. <_<

I wasn't watching his thread. I stumbled upon it and posted what I thought because apparently comments were welcome (but I guess that doesn't apply to those who don't like the kit.)

I actually have completed a mk.II. The problem is, I don't like it, so I'm not going to show it off. At the time, I was a noob, and I used a flat white in conjunction with a gloss black. The result is not pretty. I have more sense now.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is that honesty doesn't mean anything, but mindless praise does.

On the topic of criticism, I feel thusly... if work is genuinely mediocre, and all a person hears is good-natured praise, there's not all that much motivation to work harder next time, and to expand and improve one's technique.

But if a beginner never gets a a genuine and honest critique, he may never have the chance to find out what level he is ultimately capable of.

So if the modeler here would like to go on, and improve, he should be open to comments. If he's perfectly happy with his current level and has no wish to improve, then he's free to disregard all comments here. Pretty simple, no?

Amen. ;)

hey, no one needs to beable to "do better" in order to critisize. I've never built a model in my life but i'm sure i could find flaws in even a professional model.

my problem is when people simply state "thats not great" or what ever, it's not useful it's just mean.

tell him what you see wrong with it, if you can, give him tips. be CONSTRUCTIVE.

if you post a un-backed opinion, expect to get more opinionated replys.