Applied Decal Thread: Arcadia & Yamato 1/60 Decals: Does anyone ever apply these? Pics?

w8kbrder

3 hours ago, w8kbrder said:

Curious if anyone ever applies the supplied decals that come with the valks? If so, can you post pics?

Some of the members here do. And you can find some of their photos on these threads: Macross Collection Display Thread, Strike A Pose and 1/48 1/60 1/72 1/2K 1/3K 1/100 and now 1/144.

I don't think stickers that came with Yamato nor Arcadia need mark setters. Unless you're using the waterslide version of it that came with some VF-1's such as the kit, the VF-1J Anniversario, the first Arcadia VF-1S if I'm not mistaken. But the regular stickers doesn't need to.

Noel is correct the supplied stickers don't require Mark setter.  They aren't water slides.    I apply mine and normally just trim the down before applying.    They stick relatively well. 

Yes. I do apply the stickers to my valks.

I also trim them so they are nice and tight with minimal edges.

Because I also weather mine I apply a coat of Mr Hobby Clear Flat over the top and it helps keep the stickers from peeling.

I've got a couple of my stickered valks posted here. I'll see if I can dig them up.

4 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

Because I also weather mine I apply a coat of Mr Hobby Clear Flat over the top and it helps keep the stickers from peeling.

I've got a couple of my stickered valks posted here. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Do you coat just the sticker or the whole valk with the clear flat?

Just now, Sandman said:

Do you coat just the sticker or the whole valk with the clear flat?

I coat the whole valk so it has a consistent flat look. The clear coat is more so to fix the weather effects and panel lining in place since they can wipe off with too much handling.

I can't remember if my process is a clear gloss over to weathering first, sticker, and finish with clear flat.

It's been AGES as since I last sat down to customise my valks. Maybe 2 years ago. :(

I had a VF-1A CF in progress. I've forgotten where I'm up to on that one now. Maybe dry brushing stage.

I've been bumming decals from Hasegawa kits for use on my 1/60 valks. I'm only doing this for my favorite hero units though, as burning an entire Hasegawa model just for the decals is incredibly wasteful. :blink:

I've also taken to scanning the Yamato sticker sheets and reprinting them as decals using an ordinary color printer. Problem with this is that you can't print white and the decal sheets are transparent, so this really only works on white valks. 

There is solid white decal paper, but you'd be limited to only solid markings like the UN Spacy kite; text markings are out of the question. 

Eventually I'm going to have to start actually using the included stickers. :unsure:

Forgot to mention that I have a recent loose 1/60 VF-1 v2 that already came with stickers applied by the previous owner. And some of the sticker edges area already peeling off. So I'm sure applying topcoat afterwards really help.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:23 PM, eggy99 said:

Any tips on weathering them? I would love to see that process.

3 hours ago, w8kbrder said:

Any tips on weathering them? I would love to see that process.

I did start to document the work I was doing on my VF-1A CF, so if I ever find time to go back again and complete the work I would like to post it in the Workshop section.

• 11 months later...

For those that apply the water-slide decals, do you recommend Mr Mark Softer on the decals before applying top coat? I bought an Arcadia VF-1S DYRL Fokker special and I just want to know if either of those two would damage the paint or the model. I'd also like to avoid chipping those decals when transforming the fig, as I've heard that the premium versions have a tendency to do so.