If I had a garage to park it in and a way of beating the year long wait i'd probably buy one... Maybe that year long wait is all I need for getting that garage though.

Anybody seen the movie Drive? Just watched it last night. Overall I'd say it was so-so. The styling was interesting, a mix of late 80s and modern with not much in between. The cars were not particularly impressive and I hate to see a Chrysler 300 used for anything other than cruising. I don't think Ryan Gosling was right for the part... he struck me more as autistic rather than the strong silent type. I'm not saying he acted poorly... just seemed like they needed someone a bit more gruff like a young Clint Eastwood.

the movie was meh. Bought it watched it then traded it in.

Charger's back from vacation! Well, actually I sprung the car out of body shop limbo like them good 'ol Duke boys would but anyway...

Before, with about a dozen rust holes and two decades worth of door dings:

IMG_0954-1.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Today, perfectly flawed but the love of my life:

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1110-2.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Edited by myk

Awesome Pics MYK, thanks for sharing. I need to upload a few pics of my ponies. I'm getting the interior put back together on one, and I recently had some front suspension work done on the other 70.

Awesome Pics MYK, thanks for sharing. I need to upload a few pics of my ponies. I'm getting the interior put back together on one, and I recently had some front suspension work done on the other 70.

Cool, let's see them!

Anybody here drive competively? As in race tracks or road courses?

I was planning on getting my Mustang set up for that but it's just too expensive for me...

Edited by myk

Anybody here drive competively? As in race tracks or road courses?

I tracked my Lotus. It was fun.

I was planning on getting my Mustang set up for that but it's just too expensive for me...

That was super annoying to me. Tracking cars is for people that don't mind throwing thousands of dollars away.

The reason I asked about the competitive driving is because I drove in a spectator race Sunday at my local track. I've never felt so scared or excited in my life. In a way I'm just glad my car didn't get smacked especially after the car in front of me blew something putting up a smokescreen or after the leader tried to use me as a pick when I went a lap down. I started at the back and never had a shot at winning with just a 09 stock Corolla.

I entered the race for experience on the track, my brother and I are putting together a car for hopefully near the end of this season, or next year. We're going to start out in the 4 cyclinder "roadrunner" division. Its low cost division that allows minimal racing enhancements, tires, and a few safety mods. It looks like the most successful cars are 80's Mustangs, Saturns, and VW Golfs/Rabbits of all things. My brother wants to get a Dodge Neon, but I would prefer a VW or a Honda Civic.

The reason I asked about the competitive driving is because I drove in a spectator race Sunday at my local track. I've never felt so scared or excited in my life. In a way I'm just glad my car didn't get smacked especially after the car in front of me blew something putting up a smokescreen or after the leader tried to use me as a pick when I went a lap down. I started at the back and never had a shot at winning with just a 09 stock Corolla.

I entered the race for experience on the track, my brother and I are putting together a car for hopefully near the end of this season, or next year. We're going to start out in the 4 cyclinder "roadrunner" division. Its low cost division that allows minimal racing enhancements, tires, and a few safety mods. It looks like the most successful cars are 80's Mustangs, Saturns, and VW Golfs/Rabbits of all things. My brother wants to get a Dodge Neon, but I would prefer a VW or a Honda Civic.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to be running your pride and joy in one of those things. As such, unless it's solo auto-X there's no way I could get into it. Even then, the cost of brakes, tires, and everything else just to be a qualified auto-X'er would be too much...

Cool. One of the guys I bought spare parts from about a year ago, is converting his 1970 mustang coupe into a competition car. Sounds like a fun experience.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to be running your pride and joy in one of those things. As such, unless it's solo auto-X there's no way I could get into it. Even then, the cost of brakes, tires, and everything else just to be a qualified auto-X'er would be too much...

Tell me about it. There's three levels of spectator races at my 3/4 mile local track. A one on drag race around the oval, a ten lap normal race, and for the clinically insane... the ahem... flagpole race which the object is to do a donut around a large tire to complete a lap.

Myk:

Below are some pics on my girls. I should get the orange one back this weekend. The interior is getting put back together. The next thing I plan to do to it, is install the cd changer, and install the headliner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81770160@N07/sets/72157630398482740/

Edited by Golden Arms

I wouldn't want the cannon fodder paintjob...

South Korean? I thought it was supposed to be "Canada's first supercar"? :huh:

LOL, that does look like cannon fodder colors. So is HG going to try to sue them too? Issue a cease-and-desist? <_<

ed: bears a strong resemblance to the GT-40 Mk IV

Edited by reddsun1

Myk:

Below are some pics on my girls. I should get the orange one back this weekend. The interior is getting put back together. The next thing I plan to do to it, is install the cd changer, and install the headliner.

WOW nice. Those are some really beautiful examples and personally I prefer the fastbacks also. I especially like the newer SVT wheels on the orange one...

Those are some good lookin' old skool rides.

People cannot understand how you can spend money on motor racing, but I'll tell ya what--it's just like standing under a cold shower and ripping up $50 bills. I think you have to be a spendthrift with a sense of humor to be out there. --Jim Keogh, Bathurst 1979

Edited by reddsun1

People cannot understand how you can spend money on motor racing, but I'll tell ya what--it's just like standing under a cold shower and ripping up $50 bills. I think you have to be a spendthrift with a sense of humor to be out there. --Jim Keogh, Bathurst 1979

At this point I really can't afford to sink more than $700 into a racecar right now. That includes purchasing the 4 cyclinder car. I'm hoping I can get one cheap at a junkyard, or police auction. I may have to sell off some of my anime stuff here or ebay to get more funding.

I'm also toying with the idea of using that website and method those guys used to get the funds for the Robocop statue. getting my online friends to pitch in a couple of bucks here and their should't be too hard. Do you think Shawn or Graham would be interested in sponsoring an official macrossworld racecar? Or anybody else with a business here? :p

One of these might be an answer. Hell, I'm considering going this route myself.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

http://www.chumpcar.com/

Emphasis is on satisfying the urge, without having to sell your soul [well, that depends on your perspective ;-P]. Maybe one of these sanctioning bodies will have events near where you are?

'kay everybody, get ready to point and laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDucwMrIy_Q

talent be damned! I gots me sh*tloads o' money! :p

At this point I really can't afford to sink more than $700 into a racecar right now. That includes purchasing the 4 cyclinder car. I'm hoping I can get one cheap at a junkyard, or police auction. I may have to sell off some of my anime stuff here or ebay to get more funding.

I'm also toying with the idea of using that website and method those guys used to get the funds for the Robocop statue. getting my online friends to pitch in a couple of bucks here and their should't be too hard. Do you think Shawn or Graham would be interested in sponsoring an official macrossworld racecar? Or anybody else with a business here? :p

Suggested reading:

The Racing Driver, by Denis Jenkinson ISBN Part # 9780837602011 - outstanding book, still relevant in many ways

The Technique of Motor Racing, by Piero Tarufi - written from an engineer's viewpoint, a bit heavy on the formulaeic approach, but still relevant

Drive To Win, by Carroll Smith - read it. then read it again.

All of them are worth reading twice--Carroll Smith's even more. I've also wanted to get my hands on The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue, but I believe that one's been out of print for some time?

Was that Corvette driver just being too shy with the accelerator? It looks like the first time he couldn't get the tires to spin at all and the second time he hooked up when he definitely didn't want to. I've never drag raced at a track but generally when I want my tires to spin I just rev the motor up and drop the clutch... do you do it differently when you're in the blocks? I'm a little out of touch on the art of it all, I've been driving an all wheel drive four banger with an automatic trans for about a decade now.

talent be damned! I gots me sh*tloads o' money! :p

OUCH. I want to laugh but I probably would've done the same thing lol. Talk about a glass jaw, though-he couldn't have hit that concrete with THAT much force right?

OUCH. I want to laugh but I probably would've done the same thing lol. Talk about a glass jaw, though-he couldn't have hit that concrete with THAT much force right?

vettes are made of toilet paper and paste. If you look at them funny they fall apart.

http://www.youtube.c...1&v=9zqPH6MATio

Just want to give you guys an idea of the division I want to enter.

An early Celica might be a good choice, if you can find one? I've read that short track guys like the 22R and RE motors for their torquey characteristics. Hehe, they sure as heck ain't high revvers. And horsepower don't come cheap with those motors.

I regret selling my '84 GT-S to this day. Looked just like this one. Slow, underpowered as hell--but man, was it fun tossing 'er through the corners, hitting the apexes...

bobbycelica5.jpg

I concur. They just looked fast sitting still [hehe, that's about the only way they managed it]. But lightweight, very tossable. Great brakes too, very confidence-inspiring; if anything it could be considered over-braked, for lack of a better description [for the amt of HP it had].

Miss the hell out of it. Learned to heel and toe in that car.

re: those who wish/aspire/dream to pursue a career as a professional race car driver

"The question that I hear most is, "I don't have the money to buy and run a car, but I know that I have the talent and the determination to succeed - how do I get started?"

You get started, my friend, any way that you can. It is highly unlikely that you are going to earn enough money to finance your racing while you are young enough to still have a career in racing. This leaves convincing someone to provide either a ride or a car and the money to run it, selling the family whatever, robbing a bank or renting your sister/girlfriend/wife by the hour, day, week or month. Again, if you are not comfortable with this concept, reconsider your career options." --Carroll Smith, Drive to Win

Edited by reddsun1

To myk: I'd overlooked earlier--but are those Procar seats you've got in your Charger? How do you like those? Are they pretty comfortable?

Yeah they are Pro-car seats. I............will say that once you're in that particular seat, the Procar Rally 1000/1100 is absolutely supportive. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but I'm sure if I try to put the G's into the Charger the seat will keep me put-a far cry from the "bucket" seats that originally came with the car which were flatter than the desert on all surfaces. Because the bolsters on this seat are so pronounced getting into the car requires brushing up and over the humps. There is no adjustable lumbar support. There is no height adjustment either. The most I've driven the car is about an hour both ways and I felt very comfortable and secure in the seat. The vinyl seating surfaces themselves are soft enough and do not feel cheap.

Ultimately only time will tell how this seat will hold up. More experienced asses will know they are sitting in a $400 Pro-car seat and not a $1100 Recaro or whatever, but for the money I am extremely satisfied with what I purchased-and they look great IMO. Another added bonus for me is that these seats match the dimensions of the original seats of the car right down to the inch so it looks stock-ish. Pro-car sells adapter brackets to bolt the seat into the car, but experiences from other buyers including myself have shown that they needed some modifications to fit, such as extra bolt holes drilled into the floor, etc.

What car are you considering these seats for?