Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

I have a feeling that that bio mechanical aliens are mounts that are controlled by the mechanoid portion by a humanoid component.

I also get the feeling that this is not the first time that the UN Spacy have enountered them. Something to do with the nearby Macross Galaxy perhaps?

Edited by kensei

I have a feeling that that bio mechanical aliens are mounts that are controlled by the mechanoid portion by a humanoid component.

I also get the feeling that this is not the first time that the UN Spacy have enountered them. Something to do with the nearby Macross Galaxy perhaps?

The general or the president of the frontier fleet did mention "They're here" as if expecting their arrival.

In any case 4 months is just too long a wait. :(

The general or the president of the frontier fleet did mention "They're here" as if expecting their arrival.

In any case 4 months is just too long a wait. :(

I need to study anyway, probably it's a good thing. :D

Man how long till my uncle gets that barbie fired up, I'm hungry....

Edited by kensei

As for the new enemy

Looking at the red one specifically, it's movements, transformation, weapons, etc, make it all seem more mecha than organic. While there is definately an organic component to it, it's not anywhere near as living & breathing as the AFOS or Ginga Kujira. In general, it's very Dunbine like, or perhaps the movie version of the Escaflowne would be a better comparison. Whatever they are, they're very aware of how Earth fleets work, stranger yet still, they didn't seem to have any kind of stealth or if they did, they sure as hell weren't using it, as they were picked up on censors right away. The red one reminds me a lot of the transforming Glaug from the MPlus game.

Well if you consider the Evil Series to be the pinacle of PC technology all other equipment would be much less advanced. The only real moving parts on the AFOS were it's wings, so that really doesn't compare that well. As for stealth, why use it if you know you are more powerful than your enemy. It's like sending the F117 to bomb Mexico, not necessary...

The more I look at it, the more humanoid pilotted it looks. It's too advanced to be anything the Supervision Army had, as the Macross would have shown that level of technology. But I'd say it's less advanced than the AFOS, even though it grunts, it still has more of a mechanical feel than a biological one. My guess based on the limited knowledge we have now?

Either a 3rd Protoculture influenced race that managed to survive the fall of the Stellar Republic (Earth & Zola being the first 2), or scrapped together remains of the Protoculture themselves, though if they are, they'd have lost much of their technology, and rebuilt anew.

We don't know what the SA had access to in terms of weaponry, unlike the Zentreadi there were also PC included in their numbers and they must have had the most advanced weaponry of the day if they were to be protecting the Evil Series projects. I wont rule them out however I too am leaning toward a remnant outpost of PC. When one considers how advanced the PC were, to loose their cutting edge advances still puts them increadibly far ahead of the NUNS, the SA and Zentreadi.

The fact that they folded in an advanced scout without so much as trying to make radio contact first either means they were already hit first by the U.N.S., or perhaps that they recognize the Frontier fleet as Zentradi due to their logos.

I don't think so.

The logo doesn't really look anything like the Zentreadi one, except the poorly drawn ones on the uniforms. The ones on the planes are nothing like the Zent logo.

I suspect if it is the PC, it would be a zenophobic outpost who attack any ships getting too close to their territory. The result of being in hiding from the Zentreadi and the SA for thousands of years.

And back to the timeline at the beginning

, the Macross 7 fleet is clearly shown included, which there'd be no reason for had this been an alternate timeline of events.

The Megaroad 1, 2, 3, 4 and 13 as well as the Macross 5 & 7 fleets and the Frontier fleets are all listed as leaving at the same time in 2012. After the colonization of Eden the Galaxy fleet as well as several others were launched.

Now in the original chronology we know the Mac 7 fleet left Earth in the 2030's not 2012. All subsequent fleets are described to have originated from Earth, not Eden as shown. Yet the time ticker doesn't start to change until after 2013 when Eden's fleets are launched.

Is it an alternate timeline as a result of the time/space event? We don't know at this point, but something is definitley different from the events of the SDFM timeline that spawned M+ and M7.

From what we know, apparently nothing from the SDFM timeline is affected by this "different history" in Macross Frontier.

While not directly related to the Director's cut of episode 1, I just want to say Merry Christmas to everybody and also isn't technology great.

I should be used to it by now, but it still blows my mind that within a few hours of it showing on a Japanese TV channel, we can have a raw download avialable online and then within 24 hours have an English subbed version also.

Sorry, several wines and beers in me right now.

Also, nice to see Nanashino back posting. I thought you had lost interest in Macross buddy. It would have been nice to see you involved in the Macross Frontier discussions takling place these last 2-3 months.

Graham

Gotta say, I actually like the idea of the flying exo suits for the VF-25 pilots. Nice to see some new capabilities.

Graham

I'm hoping for an ep where they get cut off from their VFs, and are forced to fight with X-Gears only.

Gundam 00, Shadow Chronicals......sorry what? Macross Frontier eats them for breakfast.......LOL!....hic!

Graham

...................................I fight better when drunk!

well like the great man folker says "you cant be afraid to fight in a war, and not drink alcohol"

not only that but gundam 00 had there asses handed to them lol

Not sure if anyone caught this because I didn't bother to read the whole thread but did anyone notice how the story went out?

A battle occurs outside the ship, theres a concert going on, alarm to evacuate sounds off, enemy invades ship, hikaru schemed VF-25 comes in, pilot dies (excuse that XD), main character shoots enemy in gearwalk mode to save a girl.

Its almost played out exactly like

the start of DYRL?

:o !

Can probably guess out what happens next.

Edited by Ishimaru

Well if you consider the Evil Series to be the pinacle of PC technology all other equipment would be much less advanced. The only real moving parts on the AFOS were it's wings, so that really doesn't compare that well. As for stealth, why use it if you know you are more powerful than your enemy. It's like sending the F117 to bomb Mexico, not necessary...

On behalf on the Mexican members of Macross World I'd like to congratulate you for your sharp analogy :rolleyes:

On another note, I hope someone can upload the complete TV special after it airs again on the 28th... maybe they mentioned something about the toys!

Not sure if anyone caught this because I didn't bother to read the whole thread but did anyone notice how the story went out?

A battle occurs outside the ship, theres a concert going on, alarm to evacuate sounds off, enemy invades ship, hikaru schemed VF-25 comes in, pilot dies (excuse that XD), main character shoots enemy in gearwalk mode to save a girl.

the start of DYRL?

Err, I think it's probably a pretty safe bet that we all noticed this. :D.

Graham

the start of DYRL?

geez and this coming from the guy who was into the shadow chronicles, and would rather sleep and watch futurerama while I was just watching the raw version. :angry:

At the risk of sounding completely clueless...which in this case, I suppose I am, but is there a link to something that describes what the time/space event in 1995 was? The Compendium doesn't list anything for it.

Thanks!

geez and this coming from the guy who was into the shadow chronicles, and would rather sleep and watch futurerama while I was just watching the raw version. :angry:

You got a problem with what I watch and I do? :mellow:

Err, I think it's probably a pretty safe bet that we all noticed this. :D.

Graham

Make me feel stupid. :p

Yeah, you can probably guess that they might mimic the minmay falling down scene in the next episode.

I'm just curious why they didn't use the cover shield of the colony earlier when the attack first began.

At the risk of sounding completely clueless...which in this case, I suppose I am, but is there a link to something that describes what the time/space event in 1995 was? The Compendium doesn't list anything for it.

Thanks!

I didn't think anything happened in 1995, can you be more specific?

Edit: Extra quote.

Edited by Ishimaru

It's a possibility, but I am doubtful.

I'm sure the idea of an alternate chronology threatens to push over some people's altars, but since mine was toppled by Mac 7, I'm open to anything these days. So long as it is plausible and well thought out, I'll give it a shot.

The available information revealed thus far lends itself to the idea of an alternate timeline as a result of the time space event, but I'm sure we'll get confirmation either way before april...

As it is, the series looks like it could very well resurrect Macross in pop culture. It's a human drama against enigmatic foes set in space with killer music, precisely what SDFM was... The 3D animation is akin to Mac Zero, but dialed back a bit to mesh much better with the 2D animation.

It probably helps a lot to have a portion of the series already in the can before the show's premier to maintain high production levels per episode...

LOL no doubt!

Like what Hideaki Anno did with the Evangelion Finale... :p "I'll give you an ending, but you won't like it... :angry: "

Zinjo and other have made mention of a time space event...I've been out of the Mac loop for a while, so I've been wondering what they're referring to.

The only blooper I found was during the CIC 2D computer display animation of the unmanned fighter interception. Both a Guantánamo Class Rakuyou (CVR-670) and a Uraga-class (CVS-670) were depicted-- both within the Frontier fleet... that's probably an error.

Another blooper i found -

The VF-171 Elint Seeker has VF-171 marked on the body but the sim screen showed it as VF-117

FMC: Frontire Music Chanel

Two mistakes in three words lol...

BTW, according to the old settings, destroids were discontinued (stopped mass-production) after SW1 because they were found to be ineffective in the war against the Zentradi. They could not move in space nor were as versatile as the VFs, and most importantly the main part of space wars were not fought on land. Most destroids were either scrapped or used for target practice (M+). The role of the destroids were to be replaced by the VFs.

That said, i'd still like to see more destroids, even better - transformable destroids!

Zinjo, I was going to reply to your last big post, but you are so way far off base... and this is coming from me.

As Keith pointed out, the NUNS insignia looks very similiar to the Zentradi one:

post-1088-1198592085_thumb.pngpost-1088-1198592075_thumb.png

We really don't know what is going on with the continuity. Its clearly undergone more retcon (something Kawamori has been pushing heavily for a decade). With a great amount of certainy I will say no matter what the imigration sequence shows, the Earth didn't spawn 11 colonization fleets in 2012, and Eden didn't spawn 9 more in 2013. Its a dramatization, meant to show how mankind spread out amongst the stars.

That said, this screenshot was certainly interesting. It seems the Megaroad-01 didn't disappear and it certainly wasn't anywhere near the galactic core.

post-1088-1198592099_thumb.png

What I gathered from watching the first episode is that it is no mistake that Sheryl was brought to the Frontier with its proximity to the galactic core (from the Macross Galaxy, which is trailing slightly behind the Frontier), and that the powers that be were expecting the alien response it got. Also, the "Space Monsters" weren't attacking the fleet, they were after something on board the Frontier.

Some other thoughts:

Sheryl Nome would seem to be the grandaughter of Mao Nome, or it could be something more... convoluted.

The birthmark on Sheryl's leg is not there to add "flavor" to the character, its got to be a plot device.

The BRSM (Big Red Space Monster :lol: ) seemed very interested in Ranka.

Will Ozma take down the BRSM in episode 2, exposing a pilot inside (a la SDF Macross), or is it a living, bio-mechanical creature?

Who is running the fleet, NUNS or the Frontier President?

Just who and what are the SMS? Its not as simple as them just being a private defense force.

I've seen alot of questions posted that are answered, to varying degrees, here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/Macros...ross_F_Main.htm

Edited by Duke Togo

Has anyone made a new NUNS Logo yet!!! or the SSS ??

Looks like our good old UNSPACY LOGO is gone.:(

hey if thats what it takes to be free from Harmony gold .... DO IT!!!!!! :)

FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST!!! (I HOPE)

Edited by Razor x

Gotta say, I actually like the idea of the flying exo suits for the VF-25 pilots. Nice to see some new capabilities.

Graham

Indeed. It actually reminds me a lot of that flying bicycle plane thing that Isamu and Guld made in Macross Plus; the idea of something like this that makes the pilot closer to the plane seems sort of natural.

Actually, to some degree it reminds me of some of the animation sequences of Guld in the YF-21 too, where it intercuts animation of him moving his arms and legs with the parts of the plane.

It seems like these exo suits are sort of a natural extension of that - giving you maybe some of the benefits of a tighter connection with the plane without maybe the downsides of an actual mind-machine interface.

-Elektrix

Merry xmas to all!

I'm intrigued, I want to know why Alto is so angry at Sheryl. I love how he made a paper airplane out of her poster while his teammates were all in awe over her. Awesome way that he could care less. This guy already ftw.

From watching the subbed version, I didn't get the impression it was necessarily anything specific about her - more that he was angry that she was getting special treatment to escape while the people who came to see her were left to fend for themselves (although I'm not completely sure what he expected her to do anyway; not to mention that it seems like she wanted to keep on singing anyway).

He might just generally not like pop stars/celebrities though.

-Elektrix

I've been thinking about a few points people have raised here, and it does seem to explain what is being set up here:

1) The "president" seems to be aware of the enemy and isn't surprised to hear they are "here".

2) Sheryl's visit to Macross Frontier does not seem to be a coincidence.

3) Sheryl might seemingly have some connection to Macross Zero, given the Nome name.

4) The enemy might specifically be attracted/drawn to Sheryl and seemingly Ranka as well (one a singer, the other we know wants to be a singer). Shades of protodeviln? It doesn't seem like a coincidence that the bug zeroes in on Ranka.

The big thing I wonder is this:

At this point in time, especially after Macross 7, are they more inclined to use music against enemies? Is this part of why Sheryl is here? They mention how it would be very bad if something happened to her, but are they speaking about more than the obvious (it wouldn't be good publicity for a celebrity to be hurt/killed on her tour)?

-Elektrix

I think the special treatment torqued him off, especially considering you didn't see any of the soldiers trying to help the concert goers, who we see fleeing and panicing in the streets. It seemed like he was barking more at Katherine Glass than Sheryl, anyway.

Edited by Duke Togo

I'm not surprised at 1. If say another Fleet has been attacked by these things nearby, it would not be good to stir panic among your crowd (the poplace). Just let them live their life while you step up your military activities. The less trouble they have on their place the better.

Edited by kensei

2000471765172099425_rs.jpg

haha!! what do you know? a perfect fit, hahahaha! hope Yamato includes this in their bundle when they release the VF-25, would be a nice touch...Macross undies :lol: :lol: althought I'm more a boxer man...

I think there's also something to do with Sheryl and the mystery enemy, I think, we might finally get an explanation to what Macross Zero meant

and I wouldn't overanalize the raw quicky subbed version, It's great to have it so fast and thanks to them, but bad subbing [check picture above :lol: ] can definately make a lot of thing seem different than what they really are, I'm just glad we finally have a new mindblowing Macross series

and I'm really hoping to see in the future NUNS schemed VF-19 and VF-22S, I really love how the VF-171 looked in the dark blue color, sorta a space low vis scheme

I think the days of the "Minmay Attack" are behind us.

Well, not a Minmay Attack specifically, but I wonder what lasting impact Basara has had on the rest of the Macross universe, etc.

I guess my main point is, is Sheryl here JUST for her tour, or did they also want her there to help in some way in the fight against the enemy?

And of course, Sheryl isn't Basara - but I wonder if her presence is part of their strategy.

Edited by Elektrix

On behalf on the Mexican members of Macross World I'd like to congratulate you for your sharp analogy rolleyes.gif

On another note, I hope someone can upload the complete TV special after it airs again on the 28th... maybe they mentioned something about the toys!

oh, but that really happened, remember Noriega and Operation Just Cause in 1989, the F-117A Nighthawk was used for the first time against Panama's forces if you might want to call them that, since there were no advanced radar stations, just the air traffics controller ones and there was no air force either, unless you count the sea gulls from the bay :lol: :lol: ^_^:huh:

the F-117 missions were deemed a failure at the time, until Desert Storm arrived in 1991 and they shined

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Well, not a Minmay Attack specifically, but I wonder what lasting impact Basara has had on the rest of the Macross universe, etc.

I guess my main point is, is Sheryl here JUST for her tour, or did they also want her there to help in some way in the fight against the enemy?

And of course, Sheryl isn't Basara - but I wonder if her presence is part of their strategy.

I get the feeling that Ranka is meant to be the singing star of this show. I think Sheryl is some sort of catalyst, or a beacon. Whatever she is, I don't think you'll be seeing her flying out at the Space Monsters with speaks on a Valkyrie.