6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

I love to watch your Daedalus grow, this must be the most complicated yet well engineered scratch build project I have ever seen!

I mean, there are people who build mecha and other stuff from scratch (like myself)... complicated at times but it just has to look good on the shelf. There are others who build big scale ships from plans - the hull alone is a BIG piece of work but you can still stick to those detailed drawings. And you manage to build a perfect looking ship based on a bunch of tiny sketches, and add your own, specifically designed propulsion system to really make it work. This thing is growing at a constant rate and everything looks like it has been perfectly thought out right from the start - your work shows a determination that I could never develop unless I had to work for a customer.... this is so impressive!

Can´t wait to see all those hangar/superstructure/bridge etc.-details - but, considering how well you build small things like your Macross planes, the whole thing will surely look perfect to say the least.

UPDATE 28 Nov 06

Thank you honneamise for the humbling words. I've been wanting to build something like this for about a decade now. It's all those years of collecting parts and models to build this thing that help keep me going. Not to mention tonight's test! Your work is awesome too by the way. I always wanted to build models professionally, but it's not my calling.

Thanks isamu too! I'll let you know when it's ready to go! It might be spring time by then!?

Yeah! We got steering now! If the MPEG's work, you can see for yourselves...

[attachmentid=38553] This is a Futaba 3802 sail servo (brass gears and bearings) heavily modified. The stop pin on the inside is removed to allow 360 degree constant rotation and the potentiometer has been moved out to the external gear (you can just see it under the acrylic box). What used to drive a giant sail arm, now spins a pinion gear. That turns the spur gear giving me more power and a slower steering rate. The giant nut on the spur gear is part of a stop mechanism (underneath) to keep the gear from ripping the potentiometer apart should a bad radio glitch occur.

[attachmentid=38554] Steering in action (MPEG).

[attachmentid=38555] Steering in action showing the gears working (MPEG).

This is only a test and all of the mountings and hardware still need cleaning up and lubricating. But all work and no play... I borrowed the receiver setup from my other 1/200 ship for now.

I can't seem to get the MPEG's to work. Anybody got some ideas? - MT

post-2518-1164752294_thumb.jpg

Steering_Side.MPG

Steering_Below.MPG

Edited by MechTech

Thanks guys! Some more plastic work to the rear (conflicting drawings to choose from) and it's paint time! The front half has primer on it now! I'm changing the actuators for the stabilizers (old ones too weak), and it's time to make her ready to run. I've gotta float test her to figure out where the batteries go best. Maybe this weekend! - MT

MT,

First off, your ship is soo sweet!

How do you keep a good water-tight seal between the electric motor's rotating shaft and the thruster housings? Are you going to fill the motor housings with goop?

:)

Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere up the thread....

:)

-THOR

Edited by THOR

UPDATE 3 DEC 06

PRIMER!!!

Hey SDF-1, sorry about the files. Funny thing is, I can't open them either!!!??? If you know of another way to post these, I'd be happy to do it. Like how some people post the picture directly into the thread - I don't even know how to do that.

Thanks for the compliments Thor. Each thruster housing in itself is watertight. The covers with silicone RTV seal the back - that's easy. The front has a plate that holds the motor on with two screws. Each plate has a tube assembly filled with epoxy around the shaft seals. The shaft seals are a grease seal on the front followed by two brass rings that also seal the shaft. The area between the brass rings is filled with silicone oil (the silicone oil won't harm the styrene). If you look a few days back you can see the oil fill spouts.

The primer revealed a few flaws (like I thought it would). You can see the width of the beam a little bit better now. After I glued the three skegs on the back (that's what they're called on a surfboard) it reminded me of a surfboard!

[attachmentid=38624] Side

[attachmentid=38625] Bottom

[attachmentid=38626] The stern (three hydrodynamic skegs on the right). After my wife and I looked at several drawings, we agreed this type was the closest to canon (verses having a squared of rear right on top of the motor box).

This week it's float test time!!! - MT

post-2518-1165162434_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165162456_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165162511_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

UPDATE 4 DEC 06

FLOAT TEST! YEA IT WORKS! NO PROBLEMS!

[attachmentid=38635] Here's the front. It's so stable, you can rock it with the 4.5lb battery on top!

[attachmentid=38636] Here's the back with all three batteries (13.5lbs). Plenty of buoncy to spare!

I think I'll have to add some weight to the hull (still have more goodies to put on anyhow).

When the winds and rain let up, I'm going to the reservoir! :D - MT

post-2518-1165260905_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165260987_thumb.jpg

Well looks like your well on your way. Plenty boyant enough by the look of the pictures. all the better for the handfulls of destiiods and Vf`s you`ll have to pack in. What primer did you use ?

Thank you guys for all the compliments and comments. Two notes: it is actually shorter than six feet (by about three inches UNTIL the top goes on. There is significant over-hang by both thre rear and front parts of the upper hull sections. I used Krylon "Ruddy Brown" primer. I still have to fill some minor seam marks and resand-primer.

I'm praying for "smooth seas" this weekend. It has been windy and rainy all week since Sunday! My only real concern is getting the electronics wet. I'm taking all the guts and doing a check to see how deep SO FAR she sits in the water. Remember, I'm only floating it with the bottom half so far.

I'll be sure to get pictures and let everyone know how it goes - rain or shine ;) - MT

UPDATE 9 Dec 06

Her first taste of the reservoir :D !

[attachmentid=38806] With the pod up.

[attachmentid=38807] With the pod down.

[attachmentid=38808] Regular side shot.

[attachmentid=38809] Top layout. (Note the batteries towards the front)

I was afraid I was going to have to make room in the front half for a battery and I was right as you can see. I always balance everything out before mounting it in place. The least amount of weight I have to add later on to balance her out, the better. Keep in mind the top half isn't on there yet either.

The hull is VERY STABLE. It pops right back into place after rocking it in the water. Good news :) !

Everything went well except for my leg slipping into the freezing water and cutting my hand aftr falling - BUT THE SHIP IS OK! Tonight I'm hooking up the actuators for the side stabilizers. - MT

post-2518-1165679622_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165679662_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165679702_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165679838_thumb.jpg

This is unbelievable! And it does not look like a small floating model ship, more like one of those huge models like that were used in Bond movies, "Liparus" comes to mind!

I really hope you won´t encounter any stability issues once you have added the enormous upper half! I mean, if you build it light-weight there should be no problem, but if you are going to add all the interior stuff and a full complement of destroids, there might be a considerable weight increase. But considering the sheer size of the model, the "machinery" should still outweigh the upper parts.

I´m looking forward for more!!!!!

UPDATE 10 DEC 06

Make a stand! It's an expression.

I needed a maintenance stand for working on it and for the water side.

Thanks again everyone for the encouraging words. I always knew it would float (I've built a bunch of other ships before-but not scratch built to this degree). I just didn't know how well.

[attachmentid=38837] Building the maintenance stand.

[attachmentid=38838] Completed stand covered with pipe insullation and yellow foam board.

[attachmentid=38839] My favorite lunch box and spare (still unwrapped) are going to become my electronics and radio boxes. The gasket seal on them and quick release handles make these perfect. I picked them up on sale at an asian market back home.

[attachmentid=38840] One of the winches to control the stabilizers.

[attachmentid=38841] Another view.

[attachmentid=38842] The winches (one shown with lines on either end) and pulleys. These are what will actuate the stabilizers. I'll make an MPEG when it's all hooked up.

That's as far as I got last night. - MT

post-2518-1165770311_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165770363_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165770543_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165770736_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165770854_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165770885_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Everything went well except for my leg slipping into the freezing water and cutting my hand aftr falling - BUT THE SHIP IS OK! Tonight I'm hooking up the actuators for the side stabilizers. - MT

LOL! you know whats funny, i had the same sort of thing happen to me this weekend. my friends and i were treking through the woods when we came up on a little stream. everyone was all, "lets walk around it" but me, and i was all like, "nah, you gotta be kungfu, you gotta skip your way across with the bruce lee steeze" so 1 by 1 all of them crossed safely using their new found kungfu skills, but when it was my turn to go, first step.....SPLASH! into the water i went. :mellow::lol:

back on topic,

you're almost done...well as far as the mechanics. i'd imagine the flight deck and tower is where a bulk of your time is going to go. i still can't you built this from scratch! :blink:

I think, when this is finished, that MW members should mark every Dec 9 as Daedalus Day and send each other e-cards to commemerate the ocassion of the first successful outdoor float test for this most incredible of scatchbuilt Macross kits.

UPDATE 12 Dec 06

Thank you guys again for the encouragement and compliments!

Sorry about the whole water thing do not disturb. At least no one saw ME do it :D . After I finish the bottom, the top will have two elevators, opening main hatch, folding ramp, water guns ;) and some other goodies I'm working on.

Chas you're too funny man, "Daedalus Day, December 9th." :D You get the first "card."

I was wanting to do the stabilizer actuators this week, but I figured I better fix the battery compartments first since some of the linkages will run through that area. Remember the battery on top of the front (and it was still VERY stable!) and the battery propped up towards the front, they're all fixed now!

[attachmentid=38915] The front battery compartment.

[attachmentid=38916] Another view.

[attachmentid=38917] The midship battery area rebuilt and the tab box shortened with new strengthening.

This will lower the center of gravity and increase the stability even more - yeah!

Maybe I'll get to the actuators this week after all :wacko: Take care guys - MT

post-2518-1165964329_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165964369_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1165964404_thumb.jpg