6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

UPDATE 10 Oct 06

Here's the rough glued box. I still need to file and sand the seems and shape the edges to be hydrodynamic. The glue is still curing.

[attachmentid=37180] Here's a 3/4 view.

[attachmentid=37181] Front view (the props go in this side).

[attachmentid=37182] From the rear (looks like a 1/1 scale missile launcher :) )

[attachmentid=37183] From the top side.

Now I have to insert the pole that will support and steer this box assembly. I'm resting and surfing tonight. I've gotta fond some nice gearboxes and gears to do the upper hatch, elevator, and ramp articulation. - MT

post-2518-1160509257_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1160509308_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1160509354_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1160509409_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 23 October 06

I am still working on the finer engineering points of the motor mount and building it. The post you see sticking out of the motor box is just sitting there. It is not cut to size or mounted. The funny looking brass bracket is the actual motor mount that will support the motor box shaft. The bracket is not done yet or cleaned up yet. We're talking some serious soldering when I'm done. BUT it will be strong enough to support the several pounds the motor box weighs. Enough talk, here's the photos:

[attachmentid=37394] Remember that the shaft is being cut down. The gear on the end will be engaged by another gear on the servo (heavy duty 1/5 scale car servo w/ brass gears). The threaded rod will raise or lower the height of the pod with a threaded handle.

[attachmentid=37395] A closer shot showing the bracket (it's 6" across and feels like a paperweight).

That it's for now. - MT

post-2518-1161626011_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1161626243_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! This thing is going TOOooooo slow for me, but family first. It looks like the lower hull will be done for December, but I'm hoping for more to be done before then. I just have to finish this assembly and it's down hill from there! - MT

UPDATE 28 October 06

Here's the painted bracket and gluing on the deck that will hold the bracket. The deck will have several longitudnal ribs to strengthen it and a couple of high ones to support the hanging weight of the assembly (that's what will enable it to raise or lower).

[attachmentid=37517] Painted bracket (heavy on the solder for strength).

[attachmentid=37518] Fitting in the bracket (note one side is thicker than the other of the hull). The bracket is centered on the hull to keep the center of gravity balanced). Too late to fix the hull now :angry: !

[attachmentid=37519] Bracket sitting on pod showing how it will fit in the "UP" or "stowed" position.

[attachmentid=37520] Gluing on the deck to hold the bracket (ribs will be glued on when it dries thoroughly).

I'm getting there! I can almost taste the final coat of paint on the lower hull (I hope it's not lead based :) ). - MT

post-2518-1162076306_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162076368_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162076505_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162076554_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

No float test yet. I still have to finish off the stern "drive" area and water proof around the stabilizer boxes and main coupling joint in the hull's center. Hopefully the lowering of the drive won't throw the C/G off, but make it more stable. Time will tell! It's broad beamed and flat bottomed, hopefully "battleship stable."

SDF-1, missile test??? - MT

UPDATE 5 NOVEMBER 06

Here is the latest (by the way-I get it wit the missle test-that's not until maybe March???).

Here's the stern tower that holds up the pod shaft and allows it to be held up, or lowered down. I had a good photo of it from the top before accidentally deleting it. Don't know what's up with the focus issues!?

[attachmentid=37736] The stern tower. The curved parts were made on my toaster before. They were strong, stiff and lightweight so I though they'd be perfect. The tower is rock solid and won't allow any flex when the motors are mounted to the brass tubing.

[attachmentid=37737] Side view. The threaded rod will be trimmed down when everything is in place.

[attachmentid=37738] The stern tower clamped (in focus) and showing the threaded rod protruding.

I hope to finish the mechanical parts of it this week. - MT

post-2518-1162738900_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162738936_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162738975_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to try out the whole workings tonight.

Hey BigF, no problems except I don't have enough of them! Were yours made in the USA? There were some bad copies of those I've seen before from China. - MT

UPDATE 8 Nov 06

These are some ROUGH pictures showing the parts assembled but still not completed yet. I figured out my battery needed charging so the focus was off in the first two <_< .

[attachmentid=37871] Motors UP.

[attachmentid=37872] Motors Down.

[attachmentid=37873] Motors turned 90 degrees for parallel parking (hopefully it won't capsize lilke this either :( ). I still have a lot to do on these parts, but here they are test fitted. - MT

post-2518-1162954821_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162954853_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1162954888_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Said it before, but....Cleanest Workbench Evaar!!

Great work so far. That baby is really shaping up! It's an amazing project.

Aren't the engines going to put a lot of stress at the mounting point?

Thanks guys. The upper part won't be for at least another month or two.

I HAVE to keep my workbench clean or my two little ones will destroy or misuse what;s on top!

The mounting point is made of HEAVY DUTY brass parts soldered together (earlier posts show some of it) with eight bolts holding it in place. All of the plastic around it is 3mm thick styrene and some carefull engineering to increase it's strength and placement efficientcy. In this case, more is better! The motors are so heavy, it does a "wheelie." I photographed this with one of three batteries in the hull. So far, so good... :unsure: - -MT

Thanks! Still working on the gearcase. The best combination of gearcase and motors equals two minutes exactly to raise or lower the motor assembly. But it's lightweight and small. I'm working out the clutch mechanism too so it won't strip gears. - MT

Thanks! Still working on the gearcase. The best combination of gearcase and motors equals two minutes exactly to raise or lower the motor assembly. But it's lightweight and small. I'm working out the clutch mechanism too so it won't strip gears. - MT

Will you make a little video ? :D

UPDATE 15 NOV 06

Thank you to everyone for your comments. It helps keep me motivated for what is dragging on longer than expected, but worth it!

FINALLY finished the gearcase to raise and lower the pod assembly. It takes two minutes and is terribly slow to watch (turn on, go to the bathroom, come back and it's almost done). I used a small gearcase and motor to keep weight down since it sits high and I've gotta keep the center of gravity as low as possible. The video would put you to sleep if I took some :) .

[attachmentid=38183] Here's the gearcase from the side, it came from an old toy tank (don't tell HWR). It sits in rails (under the black screws) and slides a litlle to engage or dis-engage from the main gear/thrust bearing assembly. There is a spring on either side (under the left hand screw) that keeps it pushed up into the gears normally. When the pod is either fully up or fully down this gives it a safety ratchet so it won't strip any gears.

[attachmentid=38184] From the stern you can see drive gear better. The threaded rod goes through a nut and bushing in the center of the gear. The gear sits on a thrust bearing that makes gear rotation and steering smoother. The funny looking part on the left side of the box engages or dis-engages the gearcase. The gearcase is dis-engaged to make steering smoother after lowering.

[attachmentid=38185] How heavy is the motor assembly? Yeah, a picture's worth a thousand words! It only takes one of the 6 volt gell cells to counter balance it though. On to hooking up the motors and steering... - MT

post-2518-1163631735_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1163632028_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1163632281_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm actually waterproofing some potential week spots and finishing a couple of others not finished yet. I'm hoping to at least put it on the water soon! Hooking everything up will be the easy part. Sailing to America, well, let's just say it's not a Coast Guard registered vessel. :D - MT

UPDATE 16 Nov 06

Almost done with the motor pod!

[attachmentid=38391] Sealing the wiring connections.

[attachmentid=38393] The wiring harness.

[attachmentid=38394] Completed wiring of motor pods and ends sealed up with silicone RTV(note red rings).

[attachmentid=38395] Oiling points (clear silicone tubing sealed with clear silicone RTV) Insert an oiling needle and you still have a seal (this way I won't have to keep pulling off the cowlings).

[attachmentid=38396] Embilical chord and support shaft (one propeller is on back order). The silver rods just visible on the insides of the two boxed ends are water pick-ups to cool the speed controlls.

[attachmentid=38397] Here's another angle. The wires come in from the back, and the water tubes on the sides. They all slide up and down freelly through the embilical chord pass through. NOTE: this is only a test fit, not finally assembled, it still needs paint before completion.

[attachmentid=38398] The embilical chord pass through. All the cables and tubes will be bundled together with a sleeve to make passing through here easy and smooth. (my children's work area - my tablesaw - in the backround).

Back to work! - MT

post-2518-1164231412_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164231647_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164231693_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164231781_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164231926_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164232104_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1164232263_thumb.jpg