The Xbox 360 Thread!

Yeah, the kiosks are certainly causing me to think twice about waiting 'till next year to get mine. Thanks to Dave in the earlier post, I just might camp out in front of a Best Buy somewhere a la Star Wars movie premiere, just to get one...

I camped out at BB for my PS2, but plan to skip both 360 and PS3 launches. My launch day PS2 served me well, never had a read error (though it chattered loudly with any blue disc), but I could tell it was getting old last year, so I sold it and got a slim PS2 the week they came out.

Of course, my new slim PS2 died after 12 hours of use, so I'm now on my replacement slim PS2.

Wired controllers showed up in my store today, so I picked one up. I mean, I know I'll want the wireless that comes with the unit for most of the time, but I kinda passed on those Play and Charge kits. Also, I know I'll have friends over who didn't get a 360, and I know my wife will play Tiger Woods with me. I decided I needed a second controller, and decided to save on a wired one. That way, I can use it on my PC (the drivers are available online), have a backup when my batteries die and I can't find more, and of course, why spring more on a controller that isn't going to see much use?

I camped out at BB for my PS2, but plan to skip both 360 and PS3 launches.  My launch day PS2 served me well, never had a read error (though it chattered loudly with any blue disc), but I could tell it was getting old last year, so I sold it and got a slim PS2 the week they came out. 

Of course, my new slim PS2 died after 12 hours of use, so I'm now on my replacement slim PS2.

345471[/snapback]

Hmm...How early did you camp out in front of the store for your PS2? I'm just trying to get an idea of how crazy it's going to be...I bet people will start lining up at midnight at least..

I camped out at BB for my PS2, but plan to skip both 360 and PS3 launches.   My launch day PS2 served me well, never had a read error (though it chattered loudly with any blue disc), but I could tell it was getting old last year, so I sold it and got a slim PS2 the week they came out. 

345471[/snapback]

Hmm...How early did you camp out in front of the store for your PS2? I'm just trying to get an idea of how crazy it's going to be...I bet people will start lining up at midnight at least..

345590[/snapback]

When I got my PS2 at midnight at a local Babbages on launch day, I showed up to the store about 1/2 an haour before midnight. There was about 20 or so people ahead of me. A few minutes after I got in line, about another 40 or 50 people showed up in a few minutes so my timing was good. :p

If you have the system preordered at a specialty store, make sure to find out if one is being held for you or if it's a first-come-first-serve basis.

I might as well ask, but what security (anti-virus, firewall, etc.) is available for the 360? I know it doesn't work quite the same as a regular PC, but since you have the ability to go online, download content to a hardrive, it can be networked to your PC(s), uses a Windows based OS, etc., what are the chance of your system being hacked or infected?

Right now, I'm probably going to skip going the network route... it'll save me a lot of dough and I won't have to worry about the 360 being used as a backdoor to my PC. I'll probably just unplug the ethernet wire from my cable modem and plug in my 360's ethernet wire.

ok, probably shouldn't give away my secret here:

but on PS2 launch day, this is what I did.

I was still working night shift, so I got someone on dayshift to come in at 5:30 am for me. He gave me $330 cash and said if I could get him one, get him one.

at 6am, my wife and son had already hit Best Buy and Walmart and the lines were way too long, I had hit two Super KMarts and a Walmart on my way to meet her, and all had lines that formed at 9:30 or so the night before. I called them all suckers...

so at 7am, we were debating calling it quits. Then we decided, let's try Sears since we're near the mall. We drove by Walmart again and could see local police dragging some people away who were fighting at the door. Best Buy had PD on scene to prevent muggings. etc. we arrived at Sears. It was closed.

Well, lo and behold, at the service entrance, there was a sign posted, PS2 line starts here. There was one kid sitting there. So we got in line behind him. An employee came out at 8 and said that the PS2 sale would start at 10am and can we tell people to just line up at this door.

by 9am, every other place had sold out and people were driving around like crazy, we had a line of 25 people already. at 9:15, some thugs decided to PUSH their way to the front of the line until they encountered me. I still had my uniform on underneath my coat as i left straight from work and did not head home and we have regs about leaving our duty gear in our car. needless to say, the thugs left the area somewhat blinded and burning and did not return. :lol:

at 9:30, an employee came out and handed out 15 slips of paper to the first 15 in line and said that that was all they had. they didn't figure out that me, chinese, my wife, white, my son, half-chinese-1/4white-1/4black-looks different from me and my wife, were all one party, so we got #2, #3, and #4.

now people showing up late started offering cash to people with tickets. yeah right.

well, we bought 3 that morning, (I had over $1000 cash on me, thankfully, I had guns, body armor, pepper spray-now spent, etc.) we bought one for us, one for my buddy, and one we decided to ebay and that payed for everything.

anyways, I'm not doing Xbox 360 launch or PS3 launch,

so try your local Sears.

I don't think any of them around me is doing preorders for the 360,

they said First Come First Served.

My son says he doesn't want a 360 either so I just saved $400 this Xmas...

You know it's been so long that I forgot about the madness that ensued when the PS2 was launched. People resorting to violence and mugging is just a little far out for me-I might have to miss the '360 after all.

-Christ it's just a video game machine...

My local Gamestop just called me and said I won't be getting my pre order in the first shipment. So I guess my local store is getting a whopping 3 units? :blink:

Regardless, I think I'm waiting anyways. Not feeling like dropping quite that much for 360 yet. Maybe after the silly season.

My local Gamestop just called me and said I won't be getting my pre order in the first shipment.  So I guess my local store is getting a whopping 3 units?  :blink:

Regardless, I think I'm waiting anyways.  Not feeling like dropping quite that much for 360 yet.  Maybe after the silly season.

345729[/snapback]

The ARN system is screwed up over this, and some first shipment preorders are getting called and told their's won't be available. If I were you, I'd call and check your place on the list. The DMs should have given all their stores like a master list (which, contrary to rumors, is not based on extra accessories/games reserved, but by date and transaction).

I know the people there, I'll check this week. Though I actually am still debating on it all....I'm not as excited as I was before. Might just wait to pick one up later. Maybe get a nice LL Katana instead. :)

My PS2 camp story:

Went out around 3:30AM, was 17th in line. I think they got in 70. Line grew slowly, was only up to 30 by like 7AM. I could have slept in for like 4 more hours and still gotten one. Only took along M.Dew and granola bars for sustenance. And my pocket GB. :) However:

A. Video games are much more "in" now than 1999. There are simply far more gamers.

B. There seem to be far fewer 360's available per store, and fewer chains are getting them. In 1999, my BB got in 70 PS2's in a non-holiday season. Now, with more gamers out there in the general public, just days from Thanksgiving/Xmas shopping spree, they're getting half that many 360's. The next-nearest store to me, serving a city with a population over twice that of my town, is getting in TWO more 360's. Nearest store after that, also twice my town's size, is getting in two FEWER 360's.

So I presume the 360 will be MUCH harder to get than the PS2 on launch day. Seriously----how many people had paid pre-orders cancelled on the PS2? I don't think I heard of any. If you pre-ordered and had paid, you got one.

I know the people there, I'll check this week.  Though I actually am still debating on it all....I'm not as excited as I was before.  Might just wait to pick one up later.  Maybe get a nice LL Katana instead. :)

345775[/snapback]

Yes, that's an idea! I need a wak to match my Yashima LL Katana.

Thanks for reminding me I need that!

wow, it looks nice on the Dell.

wonder how it would look on a 61" DLP. I took the Xbox over to a friend's house when he got his DLP, and it looked wonderful. even at 480

***BUMP*** :)

I might as well ask, but what security (anti-virus, firewall, etc.) is available for the 360? I know it doesn't work quite the same as a regular PC, but since you have the ability to go online, download content to a hardrive, it can be networked to your PC(s), uses a Windows based OS, etc., what are the chance of your system being hacked or infected?

Right now, I'm probably going to skip going the network route... it'll save me a lot of dough and I won't have to worry about the 360 being used as a backdoor to my PC. I'll probably just unplug the ethernet wire from my cable modem and plug in my 360's ethernet wire.

Though I actually am still debating on it all....I'm not as excited as I was before. Might just wait to pick one up later.

My excitement was kinda waning, as we were being deluged in tons of great games for current-gen platforms. I mean, just since September, I'd picked up Castlevania (DS and the new PS2), Mario Kart DS, Resident Evil 4, X-Men Legends II, Star Wars Battlefront II, Burnout Legends, Ultimate Spider-Man, Soul Calibur III, From Russia With Love, Genji, We Love Katamari, and Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, among a few other lesser games.

But now that the day's almost arrived, I'm starting to get pumped. I think a big part of it is working at a games store. I've worked everyday this week, so I was there when the Xbox 360 units arrived (which had me seriously tempted to just grab a box and leave, never to return), and the games, and the accessories. In fact, as previously mentioned, I'd already picked up a wired controller (after which, I downloaded the PC drivers and used it to play Super Mario World), and today I picked up Need For Speed Most Wanted. I'm gonna try to settle down, and pick up Tiger Woods and Perfect Dark when I pick up my Box... but I have a feeling I'll actually pick them up this Saturday.

Has anyone taken a gander at some of the outrageous prices on the 'Bay? If you can get over that, you begin to wonder how these sellers can even guarantee that they will even have a system to send to you...

In regards to the camping, I was planning to hit a Best Buy after work, about 3am or so, but even now I'm beginning to think that won't be early enough...

As of last night I actually thought Ebay prices were rather cheap for 360's. PS2's went for twice their MSRP easy early on, I've yet to see an $800 360.

Quick question for anyone who knows---are *all* Wal-Marts getting 360's for launch day? Because I'm not too far from some pretty small and rural ones. (Of course, everyone else in town is probably thinking the same thing)

Yeah, I've been looking for large retail stores with any plans to open early and have found none. Now that I'm out of work, I suppose I could camp anywhere as early as I want to, although even then I'm sure I still won't be early enough...

As of last night I actually thought Ebay prices were rather cheap for 360's.  PS2's went for twice their MSRP easy early on, I've yet to see an $800 360. 

Quick question for anyone who knows---are *all* Wal-Marts getting 360's for launch day?  Because I'm not too far from some pretty small and rural ones.  (Of course, everyone else in town is probably thinking the same thing)

345994[/snapback]

From what we've been hearing, all Wal-Marts should get some, but the more rural ones will be getting very limited numbers... as in 2-6 units.

Line starts at 8:00pm, I believe.

while some GS stores are gonna do the midnight release.

And guess who gets to work the midnight shift? I'll give you a clue... he preorded his back on 5-12, and thankfully gets to pick up his 360 in about 25 hours...

Hopefully I will know Tuesday morning if I'll be getting my system or not from one of the local gaming specialty stores. I did pick up from them my first game already... Call of Duty 2. :)

When I went over to the nearby Walmart yeasterday evening, they already had some 360 stuff for sale including about 1/2 a dozen wireless controllers.

The local Best Buy has the Demo unit in the store. Got to see it's game list on a 36 inch HDTV.

I felt utterly and totally disappointed! It's CRAP! The games were simply nasty looking(early ps2 games looked better). I totally hope that they had it hooked up wrong somewhere. I really really really hope they did!!

Could all be the settings. There's plenty of 360 out there hooked up to demo HDTV LCD's, yet are set to output 480i!!!

Very near my BB's 360 is Shadow of the Colossus on a LCD---looks horribly godawful. That game is NOT meant to be displayed like that. On a typical tube TV it looks very "ethereal" and fantasy-like, and has a nice atmosphere. Kinda like an N64 if it had much better draw-in and sharper textures. But on an LCD HDTV it's the most jaggy thing I've ever seen, and the fog is just GONE, replaced by distinct sheets of transparent white. Interlacing is pretty necessary to look "right" on anything that's not bleeding-edge graphics-wise.

Too many store demos are hooked up by the guy who can't tell an RCA connector from component if his life depended on it. Yeesh, the local Sears had their PS2 on a 13in GE television that was older than me, via RF! And yes, it was in their vintage "World of Nintendo" cabinet.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The local Best Buy has the Demo unit in the store. Got to see it's game list on a 36 inch HDTV.

I felt utterly and totally disappointed! It's CRAP! The games were simply nasty looking(early ps2 games looked better). I totally hope that they had it hooked up wrong somewhere. I really really really hope they did!!

346107[/snapback]

I'm going to have to say that it pretty much has to be someone hooked it up wrong.

Like David said, you blow up a standard-def signal and display it on a high-def screen, it looks like crap.

And, while I'll admit that when I saw Call of Duty I wasn't blow away like I was the leap from Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES to Super Mario World on the SNES, the game was still smooth as silk and abundant in lots of tiny details that definately looked better than the jaggy bland mess that was Tekken Tag Tournament.