Armored Gerwalk Update 03

fulcy

Alright, it's that time of the year again - time to update you guys on the progress of the AG. I haven't had much time until recently to work on it - and I seemed to kick some butt on it this weekend. So, onto the pics!

post-25-1091792729.jpg

There's a nice overall shot - you can see the shoulder armor, and the arm armors from last time. Lets check out the shoulder armor up close.

post-25-1091792755.jpg

post-25-1091792781.jpg

post-25-1091792812.jpg

post-25-1091792842.jpg

You can see that the shoulder armor is actually a cast - I went about as far as I could with the bondo/ren/styrene originals, so I made some quick molds, and made casts to continue the work. The ones on the right shoulder were the first pulls from the mold - you can see the huge air bubble in it. The ones on the left shoulder are the much nicer second pulls from the mold, and are what I am detailing up before the next set of molds. You can see the added X's on the bottom, to mimick structure (I originally thought they should be cut into the surface, but after some brainstorming with the GF, figured that they should be raised from the surface). Next up on these guys will be more details, and figuring out the hinge mechanism for the door.

You can also see the arm armor has been tweaked a little - sanded the end so that it tapers towards the hand. Now for some detailed pics of the arm armor.

post-25-1091792591.jpg

post-25-1091792618.jpg

Alright, you can see the taper again, and the missile conveyor - modeled roughly after the ones in the booster tip for the 1/48 fast packs. Actually, I chopped up one of those boosters, to use for that grey block at the one end. I have to start on the actual structure now, not too sure how much internal detail I'll be adding to these guys, since they are so small.

Last, and certainly least ;) the leg armor.

post-25-1091792651.jpg

post-25-1091792680.jpg

post-25-1091792705.jpg

Alright, this is the first go with the leg armor. You can see first off, that I did cut the fin off the lower leg to accomplish this. For now, that's what I'll be working with, since it'll produce a much sleeker leg armor than trying to fit the fin inside the armor (that, and Chris said he's prefer a sleek leg armor, and would sacrifice the fin). The armor pretty much form fits to the outer surface of the outer leg, and there will be a front, back, and inner piece, that will basically enclose the entire leg. The curve of the armor will be the same for the inner half as the outer half, and armor bulges will be added to beef up the armor. Phew - enough talk, now just drool all over your keyboards ;)

Edited by fulcy

EXO, Rob tore up the legs of a VF 1S!! Take a better look at the pix :lol:

Great work Rob it's turning up really nice!!!

Yup, it's a 1S - and it was one that I parted out to members here, and the legs were left over, so they are being sacrificed for the cause...

Wow, Fulcy! You are coming closer and closer to realising the dreams of macross toy junkies everywhere. At the rate you're working, you'll have this finished before Yamato releases its Zero toys.. or Monster. Whichever they get around to releasing first.

Wow, Fulcy! You are coming closer and closer to realising the dreams of macross toy junkies everywhere. At the rate you're working, you'll have this finished before Yamato releases its Zero toys.. or Monster. Whichever they get around to releasing first.

Don't you mean last? ;)

Don't you mean last? ;)

ha! or maybe it should say "ever" :D

EXO, Rob tore up the legs of a VF 1S!! Take a better look at the pix :lol:

Great work Rob it's turning up really nice!!!

Yup, it's a 1S - and it was one that I parted out to members here, and the legs were left over, so they are being sacrificed for the cause...

1st of all, that was amayy-zing-2 :huh: ...you know...you could earn lots of money if you mass produce em :o ...so dont keep it to yourself...

secondly, i tot haterist was looking for a 1s tail fin, why not offer him the part he wouldn't want to resist ($$) :lol:

aaajin

secondly, i tot haterist was looking for a 1s tail fin, why not offer him the part he wouldn't want to resist ($$) :lol:

aaajin

another member was nice enough to help me out already and i think fulcy sold his spares to my most favorite person on this site. :p

thanks for thinking of me aajin. :)

Fulcy,

i posted this in another section but thought i would be cool if you could incorporate this into your design, its just a small suggestion, hope you don't mind. :)

something just popped into my head that i thought would be a cool feature...the 1/60 GPB just sits there, i mean, its cool but it just sits there. no real features other than a the little flippy pieces but that ain't much.

so i was thinking for the GPB in 1/48 scale, yamato(or people making there own) could make the inside section of the armor vinyl. meaning, they insert a piece of vinyl or something where the missiles are displayed and have it so you can individually put in and take out each missile.....does that make sense?

like for the shoulder armor, it wouldn't have to be thick piece of vinyl, just enough to hold the mini missiles in place. yamato wouldn't have to recast them since the FP mini-miss would work fine and the guys who are making them, can also do this and add a little bonus feature to their work.

i don't know if any of this makes sense but i think it would be neat.

Fulcy,

i posted this in another section but thought i would be cool if you could incorporate this into your design, its just a small suggestion, hope you don't mind. :)

something just popped into my head that i thought would be a cool feature...the 1/60 GPB just sits there, i mean, its cool but it just sits there. no real features other than a the little flippy pieces but that ain't much.

so i was thinking for the GPB in 1/48 scale, yamato(or people making there own) could make the inside section of the armor vinyl. meaning, they insert a piece of vinyl or something where the missiles are displayed and have it so you can individually put in and take out each missile.....does that make sense?

like for the shoulder armor, it wouldn't have to be thick piece of vinyl, just enough to hold the mini missiles in place. yamato wouldn't have to recast them since the FP mini-miss would work fine and the guys who are making them, can also do this and add a little bonus feature to their work.

i don't know if any of this makes sense but i think it would be neat.

I was already thinking about making the missiles seperate - need to think about it though. since there are 15 missiles per shoulder armor, there would need to be 30 missiles recast for each set of armor. I don't know how feasible that is, on larger production runs - would need to make a heck of alot of molds just for the missiles then... But, it is an interesting idea...

• 4 months later...