Difference in Macross DVDs

Solscud007

I saw a Macross TV set at Anime Jungle. I assume it is the R2 version of the TV show. Anyone know the difference between that and the Animeigo? I ahve the animeigo jsut wondering if the Japanese version is better or as good as the Animeigo.

the main drawback for me on these region 2's is price.my friend bought the official release of DYRL & i believe it cost him in excess of $50.now,if that holds true for the tv series too,that's alot of bread man.the animego set released here is awsome enough.i really think it's all you need ;)

I second what Keith said, VTP. The actual going rate for a DYRL DVD is about $70-100 depending on the exchange rate, fees and tarrifs and the establisment's markup. Your buddy got a sweetheart deal, and he oughta consider himself fortunate.

actually i was wrong.he told me a little while ago,that w/ shipping etc,it did cost him about $70.i think $50 was what was originally paid for this movie at the store in japan.then the guy added the other fees to get it here to him & cover the othere charges incurred along the way.man,i'd hate to see what the bill would be for that complete region2 tv series. :o

That's still really good if the ORP was $50, since the movie in Japan costs circa 7800 yen, and assuming an exchange rate of 100 yen=USD $1 (it's actually somewhat over like 120=1), that would be roughly $78.

Damn.Over $70.00 for a R2 Macross DYRL? I guess I was lucky.I managed to pick mine up from ebay for under $30.00 with shipping and handling.This was the Perfet edition too.It was opened, but didn't look used at all.No scratches and what not.

isn't perfect edition DYRL? different than the official region 2 disc? i think they're not the same.does your perfect edition have a region 2 code only on it? i could be wrong,but i think the region 2 DYRL? that soluscud007 was refering to is the exclusive japanese version :huh:

isn't perfect edition DYRL? different than the official region 2 disc? i think they're not the same.does your perfect edition have a region 2 code only on it? i could be wrong,but i think the region 2 DYRL? that soluscud007 was refering to is the exclusive japanese version :huh:

Yup.The dvd is a redish color and it says Region 2 on it.It also says"jasrac" (or something close to it)under the region code, and has the emotion logo, as well the the price on the back 7800 yen.OH yeah!!It also came with two post cards.One of the SDF-1 and minmay and another of Minmay standing then a shot of a VF-1Swith fastpacks on the lower left of the card, and another small shot of minmay on th upper right singing.And it came with a little fold over liner note, that talks about the movie I think, and has the staff credits.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I don't know what it's like in the US, but availability of the Animeigo Macross DVD sets has increased substantially since its release here in Canada. Both Best Buy and A&B Sound are now carrying the 3-disc sets and they are much cheaper than any other outlet I've seen.

For example, many local hobby stores here in Calgary are charging $140.00 per 3 disc set for Macross (that would be a catasrophic $420.00 for all 9 discs, more than I paid for my 9 disc box!). However, Best Buy and A&B Sound are selling the 3-disc sets for about $40.00 each (that's $120.00 for the whole set). If you want to get this great set for a decent price, I recommend checking out those two stores. Makes me mad that I purchased the expensive first release set :(

Edited by Mr March

yeah,i just came from otakon were 1 guy(pandora's cube) in the dealer room was trying to get $89 for the 3-disc boxes.across the room animego had a booth set up & you could buy the sets directly from them for $55 per box & you got a free shirt. ;)

Ok some of you guys didnt read my post throughly. I HAVE the animeigo. I ahve never seen the the R2 TV series. I know all about the R2 DYRL. Im talking about the TV series only. Is there a difference in quality? Was the R2 TV series remastered like the Animeigo?

Ok some of you guys didnt read my post throughly. I HAVE the animeigo. I ahve never seen the the R2 TV series. I know all about the R2 DYRL. Im talking about the TV series only. Is there a difference in quality? Was the R2 TV series remastered like the Animeigo?

As I understand things, no.

And the odds of a remaster happening aren't very good.

If HG and Big West ever work out their diffrences(hahaha) then they may import the remaster for use in a japanese release, but as-is...

The SDF series is no longer available in Japan (R2 DVD) now. The only way to get it now is through Harmony Gold.

The DYRL DVD does cost a ridiculous Y7800, but also don't forget the 5% tax.

Yeah, that price is kinda ridiculous now.

But I paid $100 cash for my R2 DYRL DVD back in '99 when the re-release, the one in the LD sized box came out, and I don't regret it one bit.

Don't let anyone tell you the Perfect Edition boot is as good as the official R2 dvd cuz it's not. Many people have testified that the official R2's transfer destroys the PE. Being that I'm anal about video quality, I'd take the unsubbed official R2 over the butchered fansubbed perfect edition any day!

The SDF series is no longer available in Japan (R2 DVD) now.  The only way to get it now is through Harmony Gold.

The DYRL DVD does cost a ridiculous Y7800, but also don't forget the 5% tax.

Yeah, that price is kinda ridiculous now.

But I paid $100 cash for my R2 DYRL DVD back in '99 when the re-release, the one in the LD sized box came out, and I don't regret it one bit.

Don't let anyone tell you the Perfect Edition boot is as good as the official R2 dvd cuz it's not. Many people have testified that the official R2's transfer destroys the PE. Being that I'm anal about video quality, I'd take the unsubbed official R2 over the butchered fansubbed perfect edition any day!

Isn't the Perfect edition a boot of the R2 perfect editon? because I have a R2 P.E of DYRL. :huh:

I saw a Macross TV set at Anime Jungle. I assume it is the R2 version of the TV show. Anyone know the difference between that and the Animeigo? I ahve the animeigo jsut wondering if the Japanese version is better or as good as the Animeigo.

I remember them having a pretty good selection of DVDs but are you sure it was R2 and not a bootleg? And how much were they selling it for? I'd be tempted to check it out if it at least had some sort of extras or something.

IIRC, nothing at Anime Jungle is a bootleg. All of the DVDs and everything else is genuine.

AnimEigo should ship to canada. There are also canadian blockbuster's, and ones reported to carry the sets. Try walking into one & seeing if they can order you some for sale.

Animeigo certainly ships to Canada. I purchased my set directly from Animeigo and I live in Canada. It might also be possible to contact the Best Buy or A&B Sound stores in Canada directly and they might consider shipping the product to you (provided you pay them for the shipping and handling).

Also, the R2 DVD's feature the initial two episodes in the form of the original 1-hour Macross pilot. The Animeigo just has the first two episodes as individual eps. You're only missing slightly modified intros, eyecatches, and endings.

The animeigo version also shares a no credit opening between episodes so you have to have subs on to read who made what and it seeks the opening track in between episodes causing a pause depending on your player. Minor quibble but it bugged me nonetheless.

Honestly the clean up Animeigo did is nice but on something like Macross which looks like ass anyhow I don't see a big difference between the R2 release and the R1. The subs are the only important change.