New Polar Lights NCC-1701 Refit

Do you have to paint it? Does it have lights?

I'm still deciding on whether I'd buy the Bandai 'snap-fit' NX-01 Enterprise and NCC-1701E or not. :)

Do you have to paint it? Does it have lights?

This is a MODEL KIT, not a toy like the Bandai or Asylum things, so you have to paint it and does not have lights. This 1/350 Polar Lights kit looks INCREDIBLE; it will have an open shuttle bay in back, like it was shown in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with cargo doors and have a open Botanical Garden (the windows on the lower side of the lower hull) and LOTS of decals covering all the markings on the ship and cargo bay. I would say it's the most incredible Star Trek kit ever made, based on preview pic of the pieces and decals.

At 1/350, should be a bit under 3 feet long. And a matching Excelsior would be a bit over 4 feet. :)

At least bigger's easier to light up. Nothing like 2 days with a pin-vise and file opening up the planetary sensor array in Ertl's Excelsior. :p

36 inches long.

Plus it has the officers lounge just under the bridge as internal detail.

But it's definately old news.. I've known about this since late last year.. so has Stamen.

Oh, btw.. you're looking at a $60 price tag. That's damn cheap. I'm definately buying two.

The size is definitely impressive, but the huge ditches (scribing) on the saucer section leave me rather flat. At 1/350 scale, the only way you'd see any panel-lines would be from a different-colored paint demarcation.

In stead of that horrid scribing, they could simply have molded the upper/lower saucer hull with alternating smooth and LIGHTLY-textured patches which could serve as painting demarcations. But alas...

That looks impressive. My only problem with this monster is that its biggest selling point (it's size) will also be its biggest drawback. Where do you store/display such a behemoth once completed?

proof45.jpg

One of the myriad details that make me seriously consider buying this goliath of a kit is that it will include a host of auxiliary craft...cool.

Room?  That's the last concern when buying a model.  I've got 2 1/350 battleships, 2 1/32 Hornets, and a 1/72 XB-70 in my stash...

Those are mostly, if not all, still boxed, aren't they? :rolleyes:

You have a point there, though. Practical considerations rarely have any impact on one's purchasing decisions when it comes to model kits, toys, or any collectible. However, size was a factor in my decision not to buy Polar Light's 1/72 C-57D kit. But, although I like Forbidden Planet as a movie, that space cruiser doesn't have the same attraction (its just a fling saucer, after all) as the Constitution refit does. I guess I will end up buying it and then find room for it.

Edited by mechaninac

Actually, I think that size bodes well on a kit like this; to paint the complicated mosaic pattern on something smaller would just be an exercise in frustration.

For those of you who may not know it, Paramount went all-out for the production of the retrofit NCC-1701 miniature that was used in STAR TREK; The Motion Picture. That model has the distinction of being probably the very best film prop ever made in Hollywood, and I don't think that any prop has been made since with such a mind-boggling attention to detail. Everyone I know who's had the fortune to see it in person simply ghasps in awe at it.

SWEET MOTHER OF GHANDI! I think I just found myself a present for my 20th birthday..:D Ertl, you can just kiss my big fat... umm... ok, so I'm underweight.

Wow.. ok, saving up now. That's just beautiful. Of course, with a kit like this, you just have to hang it up. I'd like to see how big a stand you'd need for this sucker...O_O!

You know, at that size, it's just asking to have every window drilled out, and filled with clear plastic.. and at this size, you could probably light the whole thing up, and film your own version of the movie.

Also, one other good thing about the size... they made the pylons thick enough to add some nice metal rods in there to support the engines.. stupid Ertl.. I must've broken those under-supported pylons upwards of a dozen times. :angry:

Edited by Chronocidal

If I were any good at model kits, I'd probably grab one of these baby's. Since I'm not, at all good with model kits, I'll probably get the Bandai kit.

You're probably not good at model because you buy Bandai kits. They have been slowly destroying the craft by making it too easy for customers. The PL Enterprise is less expensive than the Bandai kit to boot.

Addendum. More, higher-detail pics here:

http://www.thomasmodels.com/refitmockup.html

Also be sure to check the link to the index with even newer pics of the model; it may just be the pics, but it actually looks like they've toned-down some of the scribing, and the inner shuttle bay components look amazing!!!

The lead in to the thread you guys are pointing to states that these are pre production test parts for design purposes. When the NX-01 came out they had corrected the paneling in the tooling.

I have seen some of the plans for this kit. The scribes are called out as 0.3mm on them. So we'll see in October if the toolmakers are that good.

You know, at that size, it's just asking to have every window drilled out, and filled with clear plastic.. and at this size, you could probably light the whole thing up, and film your own version of the movie.

That won't be necessary.

The NX-01 kit had every window drilled out and backed by a clear part. In fact, half of that kit is clear.

The new Enterprise will be no different.

These ships were designed to be lit. The running light holes on the NX-01 are perfectly sized for 3mm LED's.

If I were any good at model kits, I'd probably grab one of these baby's. Since I'm not, at all good with model kits, I'll probably get the Bandai kit.

You're probably not good at model because you buy Bandai kits. They have been slowly destroying the craft by making it too easy for customers. The PL Enterprise is less expensive than the Bandai kit to boot.

No, not at all, quite simply model building is not my thing. I've always had a casual interest in it, but it's never been a priority for me. There's not enough hours in the day for me to get everything done that I'd like to, so I doubt I'll ever get into model building seriously. Drawing is my thing.

Truth be told, I'd rather just have a prebuilt, sturdy toy of the Enterprise that lights up and I can have on display somewhere in my room. Preferably with an Excelsior and Reliant right next to it.

I wouldn't say Bandai is "destroying the craft", as it appears to me that they build model kits for many levels. From simple snap together kits, to huge, complex kits with hundreds of pieces. Besides, Bandai isn't the only model kit company out there.

However, as the Bandai kit is only availabe in Japan for a rather high price for it's size I may very well look into this Polar Lights kit and possibly take a slow, casual approach to building it.

Looking at Stamen's post, I might even look into the possibility of lighting it up. Might as well do it right if I decide to invest that kind of time and energy.

Ok. Now I feal that I must bring-up a rather unpleasant aspect of this model... painting. More specifically, the complex and intricate mosaic of aztec patterns that cover the ship.

Personally, I'm happy that PL have opted to not overscribe, or do with raised lines... Purely for authenticity's sake. However, there's going to be a mind-boggling amout of masking involed to paint it correctly. Any chance that someone will take the initiative and produce an aftermarket stencil set for this monster?

I'd gladly produce it myself, but I'm far behind the learning curve on ST models, and I'm not the best poised to get access to the film prop.

AAAAAA************!!!!!!

You got me drooling on this one!

1/350 scale? Big for a starship? Anyways that'll go well with my Tamiya (contemporary days) Enterprise.

I wouldn't say Bandai is "destroying the craft", as it appears to me that they build model kits for many levels. From simple snap together kits, to huge, complex kits with hundreds of pieces. Besides, Bandai isn't the only model kit company out there.

No matter how complex a kit Bandai puts out, it's still an unassembled toy. It's just overwhelming because of the sheer number of parts. If you put three or four 1/144 kits together in one sitting, you've put together the equivalent of a MG kit. By extension, putting three or four MG kits together in one sitting would be comparable to putting together a PG kit.

It does not require skills to build Bandai kits. Just patience.

Since kids think that building a Bandai kit is modelling, they moan and groan when they have to paint a real model kit. In their mind, "if Bandai can pull it off, why not Hasegawa or Tamiya?", when clearly, we know that between Bandai, Tamiya, and Hasegawa, Bandai is not the one putting out superior models.

The one thing I can give Bandai, though, is vastly superior injection molding technology. Their ejector pin marks are hardly detectable. The ones that can be found have been thoughtfully placed *away* from molded details. Can't say the same for Hasegawa.

Going a bit OT but:

If they made models with all the parts pre-removed from the sprue with no marks/scars, I'd buy them.

Pre-painted ACCURATELY? I'd buy them.

Pre-assembled pre-painted pre-decaled? I'd buy those too, if they were accurate.

I honestly don't really ENJOY any aspect of modeling at all. But I demand accuracy, so I am forced to build and paint them myself. If something says it's an F/A-18C, it darn well better be a C, not an A or A+ with new paint, etc.

Which is why I buy diecast airliners, but not diecast military planes (any more). All 767-200's are utterly identical asides from engines. However, F-16C Block 30's vs Block 40s are instantly identifiable to me. A generic "F-16C" mold will not do.

Surprisingly, having built a Bandai Ent-E, I found the fit far below modern Bandai standards, even emplyoing the pliers technique. The thing fits together so STRONGLY it'll never come apart without damage, it just doesn't fit TOGETHER. The parts may have a death-grip on each other, but they still have a gap between them. And like all Bandai "electronics" I've seen, the connection is poor/fiddly, much better to just solder the thing rather than rely on springs and pressure to make the connections.

I really wish Tamiya would have expanded upon their 1/32 "seamless one-piece fuselage" idea they used for their F-4. Life's a lot easier when the biggest most visible seam is non-existant.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hi David.

I just got myself a 1/850 Bandai Enterprise refit myself... I was actually expecting it to be much worse than it was; all I'd heard were horror stories about poor fit about those kits. Though I think more of that criticism was aimed at the E model than the others, even the comments on the refit weren't all that great. Perhaps I just got a lucky kit, but I honestly don't think I spent more then 2 and a half hours to put it together. Excellent fit. Pre-painting was cute. Not phenomenal, but acceptable.

The only thing that bothers me is the lighting system. I'm almost afraid to turn it on too often for fear of burning out those microscopic bulbs... Anyone know what the life on those bulbs is roughly?

Actually, apparently there's now a much cheaper way to get a decent Ent-refit... Art Asylum, the people responsible for the Enterprise series toys, got a hold of the rights to release a toy of the Ent-A..It's almost as detailed as the Bandai kit, plus 2-3 inches longer, for about $50 less. I've seen a bunch on Ebay, but none in stores yet. Rumor has it they've also acquired the CGI model of the Enterprise-E used in Nemesis, and are using it directly through CAD programming to make the molds for a new toy of that ship that'll be much more accurate than the Ertl kit, and much more affordable than the Bandai one. The best news about these is that they'll be very sturdy, since they're made to be played with, and, from the pictures I've seen, the toy Ent-A actually has the panels printed on it just like the Bandai one. Here's an Ebay auction with a few pictures, but nothing really big...Art Asylum Enterprise

As far as stencils go though, I once made a texture set for a computer model of the Enterprise-A, so I know a lot of the panel lines by heart.. It'd be pretty easy to make a simple stencil set you could print out on the computer... wouldn't be the highest quality of course, but it might suffice.

EDIT: Correction, the toy doesn't have the panels painted on, I think they're molded in different textures. Still will probably give the same type of effect in the light though. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

Eh, the Art Asylum NX-01 sample/prototype/pics in all the ads/ looked GORGEOUS. The real thing had approximately 99.9% fewer paint apps. :p

A big thing for me is lighting up--and I want them BRIGHT! The Art Aylum ones aren't any better in that regard than the Playmates ones.

Only good way to light is via Lightsheet or flourescent IMHO.

Not too often I put up a pic of one of my models (because I feel that 99.9% of mine suck and aren't worth taking pics of):

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ooooooh... pretty... :D Nothing to be ashamed of there, those lights look great. So, those nacelles ARE big enough for a flourescent bulb. I'm gonna have to think about lighting that one....

You're right though, most lit toys never look decent, simply because the bulbs don't distribute light well. The early Ent-E toy was hideous for that, you could see the bulbs, and since they used white bulbs in a light red engine piece, they glowed almost yellow-orange. :p Same for the Bandai kits.. as good as that ridged clear stuff actually conducts light, it still doesn't give an even glow, and the deflector looked pretty bad.. I added some clear blue cellophane, and a few layers of wax paper to diffuse the light more, and it helped, but it's still far from perfect.

The new Bandai NCC-1701-A is supposed to correct the deflector problem.

Back on topic, where can I pre order the polar lights 1/350 Enterprise?

Chris