YF-19 Test Weapons

Today, I got the film adapter for my scanner today in the mail. This is the first thing I scanned. Something that hasn't been talked about much...

The question is what are they?

What they appear to be are....

barrel firing blue-ish plasma ball (?)

dual-barrel impact/beam gun (?)

5 micro missiles (?)

yf19-testweapons.jpg

Edited by Nanashi

there wasnt much to talk about it other than it destroyed a monster or a heavly dmg monster since it has those lightning thing going around it like when dyrl roy's vf-1 b4 dying and in the sci-fi movies like aliens with the atmosphear processing plant.

Huh. And the Compendium doesn't list it either.

If you ask me, I'd say the top is a double-barrel impact rifle, five missiles (grenades?) in the undermount and the side gun might be a particle cannon (Similar to Regult make maybe)?

I'd go for :

1 heavy 1 shot energy weapon (similar or less in power than the vf17's in M7)

2 lasers/beam guns (maybe same power as head or built in lasers)

5 micromissiles (and I'd take there is 1 or 2 reloads for 10-15 MMs as the weapon module covers the entire lower arm (10 is more likely, don't think there is space for 15))

Notice the shoulder. Were they testing the FastPack as well? Is that nessicary to support this weapons system? Is this a FastPack option?

Is it retractible into the forearm? So that means you can't just clip it on, but you have to replace the whole forearm maybe? What does the 19 give up to fit that?

I could be grasping at straws...

That's the shoulder armor from its atmospheric fast packs, as for the arm add-on I would imagine it would keep it from going into fighter. There's no way that could retract into the arm, so that's just a nice heavy armament add-on.

It would make for a destructive gerwalk/battroid though.

The cannon probably is a one-shot thing like the VF-17's single beam clip. If it can destoy a Monster in one hit, there's not much else it can't destroy in one hit.

That's the shoulder armor from its atmospheric fast packs, as for the arm add-on I would imagine it would keep it from going into fighter. There's no way that could retract into the arm, so that's just a nice heavy armament add-on.

Actually, if you watch the animation again, it is retracted at the begining of the scene and opens as the 19 turns to face the viewer. So it is definatlely not a snap-on, but a replacement arm.

But there is still some armor-plating that is making the forearm a bit wider.

So, you may be right. It may interfere with the transformation.

AFAIK, the shoulder FP is just an additional fuel tank only and nothing to do with support of the forearm weapons module.

Also I do not think that the additional weapons are housed inside a replacement forearm. To me it clearly looks like the weapons module attaches to the outside of the YF-19's standard forearm. The weapons module obviously has open and closed modes, with covers that open up to expose the weapons within.

Given the transformation method of the YF-19, the forearm weapons module would prevent a transformation to Fighter mode as long as it is attached. Presumably the weapons module can be jettisoned on command.

Graham

AFAIK, the shoulder FP is just an additional fuel tank only and nothing to do with support of the forearm weapons module.

Also I do not think that the additional weapons are housed inside a replacement forearm. To me it clearly looks like the weapons module attaches to the outside of the YF-19's standard forearm. The weapons module obviously has open and closed modes, with covers that open up to expose the weapons within.

Given the transformation method of the YF-19, the forearm weapons module would prevent a transformation to Fighter mode as long as it is attached. Presumably the weapons module can be jettisoned on command.

Graham

Actually its a vernier cluster. Check the animation.

Graham

couldn't it be both?

it would make sense if it would be both, otherwise you'd have all this piping to feed fuel to the thrusters....

and it does look like the arm weapons are a batroid only type thing...

I still maintain that the weapons collapse into the fore-arm. It's clear as day in the animation (frame by frame).

You can even see the pistons that move them in the picture provided by Nanashi.

Graham

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the YF-19's shoulder FAST Packs: -

two FAST Pack conformal propellant tanks mounted above dorsal nacelles in Fighter mode or to the sides of shoulders in GERWALK and Battroid modes.

Graham

Graham

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the YF-19's shoulder FAST Packs: -

two FAST Pack conformal propellant tanks mounted above dorsal nacelles in Fighter mode or to the sides of shoulders in GERWALK and Battroid modes.

Graham

hmmm, the thruster seems standard to the yf 19 and fires from underneath the fastpack?

I still maintain that the weapons collapse into the fore-arm. It's clear as day in the animation (frame by frame).

my problem with the collapses into forearm theory is: where does the hand go?

I think that the weapons may fold down to be more flush/protected when not in use but is still not standard to the yf-19.... I figure if it was, isamu would have used during his dogfight with guld.

my problem with the collapses into forearm theory is: where does the hand go?

I think that the weapons may fold down to be more flush/protected when not in use but is still not standard to the yf-19.... I figure if it was, isamu would have used during his dogfight with guld.

the hand doesnt realy need to retract into the arm, but yah looks to be a potentional weapon system test like a cop's hide-a-way pistol.

You can also tell the covers are not part of the -19's arm. Looks like the covers move up and back while the weapons moves forward. The angle makes the covers look thinner than they actually are. Look at the leftmost weapon closely and see the shape of the X on the cover.

Graham

Graham

Yes. That is what they are. They also feature verniner thruster according to the animation.

Yes. That is what they are. They also feature verniner thruster according to the animation.

No. That vernier is under the FAST pack.

(courtesy of Steelfalcon.com)

YF19gerwalk.gif

You can see the nozzle in the shoulder block.

And if we look here:

(again, courtesy of Steelfalcon.com)

YF19fast.gif

The nozzle has some clearance of the shoulder pack. There is no vernier on that shoulder pod.

YF19gerwalk.gif

And if we look here:

YF19fast.gif

The nozzle has some clearance of the shoulder pack. There is no vernier on that shoulder pod.

That is a seperate vernier. I am aware of that one. That's not the one which is being fired in the animation. Look at the origin of the plume [Note the curved lines] and also consider its angle and position. The burn isn't coming from beneath the shoulder.

YF19gerwalk.gif

And if we look here:

YF19fast.gif

See what look like vent lines on the pods. I believe those are the origin. Remember there are such small-sized verniers. Take for instance, the VF-1's wing tip NBS-1 high-burn verniers.

See what look like vent lines on the pods. I believe those are the origin. Remember there are such small-sized verniers. Take for instance, the VF-1's wing tip NBS-1 high-burn verniers.

I don't believe it would produce a plume that large if it was that small. If it was coming from the shoulder vernier, then yes, that plume is about the right size for that nozzle.

yf19-gerwalk-fastpacks.jpg

If you guess the origin of where that plume is coming from, it would be right at the tip of the shoulder, right where that shoulder vernier is not the FAST pack.

I don't believe it would produce a plume that large if it was that small. If it was coming from the shoulder vernier, then yes, that plume is about the right size for that nozzle.

If you guess the origin of where that plume is coming from, it would be right at the tip of the shoulder, right where that shoulder vernier is not the FAST pack.

if you take a look at the shoulder detail from the yf-19 model in the june 2002 model grphix, it looks like it has three seperate thrusters... I think the plum comes from the rear facing shoulder thruster and not from the fast pack.

zoomed in pic:

post-2-1090054650_thumb.jpg

To prove once and for all that the weapons pack is not part of the arm, I give you this picture.

Graham

Sorry the pic is not very clear, I had to scan it from the Macross Plus Game Edition game book. Unfortunately the DVD player on my stupid Hong Kong coumpter won't play region 1 or 2 DVDs, only region 3, so I can't grab the pic from either my US or Japanese Macross Plus DVDs :(

Perhaps somebody else can get a better version of that image.

Graham

if you take a look at the shoulder detail from the yf-19 model in the june 2002 model grphix, it looks like it has three seperate thrusters... I think the plum comes from the rear facing shoulder thruster and not from the fast pack.

zoomed in pic:

Interesting....

Sorry the pic is not very clear, I had to scan it from the Macross Plus Game Edition game book. Unfortunately the DVD player on my stupid Hong Kong coumpter won't play region 1 or 2 DVDs, only region 3, so I can't grab the pic from either my US or Japanese Macross Plus DVDs :(

Perhaps somebody else can get a better version of that image.

Graham

Could somebody please try to snag a clearer higher resolution screen grab of that side view of the weapons pack from Macross Plus ep # 2, as I can't do it on my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Graham