YF-19 Test Weapons

As you can see from picture #1 clearly the weapons syestem is an addition that wraps around the YF-19's arm, the second picture, could be construed as making the weapons syestem appear to fold back into the arm,however if you look closely its mearly a pannel that lifts up, like wise the top and bottom of the weapons system remain in place, in the third picture you see all three pannels lifted. the little piston like structures,are mearly what lifts up the pannels in order for the weapons to fire, otherwise, the pannels/weapons remained fastened to the outside of the normal yf-19 arm, i assume, most likely this weapons addition is ejectable ala arm fast packs,and is mearly a heavy weapons option for the YF-19,in those sticky situations whare battroid might be the best mode for the job.

I'm wondering why the line-art for this weapons pack never appeared in any of the Mac Plus books or Design Works?

It would be cool to see what a Full Armored YF-19 looks like. Perhaps this weapons pack would be part of it.

Graham

yea , you would figure,if the YF-19 was going to be the next front line fighter,they would have a full armored varient, and if i had any say in it,the weapons pack would definately be part of it, i wonder if the the laser looking weapon keeps its own charge ala the one laser blast cartridge of the VF-17, or draws power from the 19 in some way,and odd this weapons pack never appeared in macross 7 if memory serves me right.

I think the key thing to remember here is that this is the prototype testing. Not production design. Look at the "morphing" wings of the YF-21. Nice on the prototype, not feasible for mass production. I doubt it would have been on any full-armor variant. To replace an entire forearm unit with the weapon system would take too much time and be more added weight to the fighter. It would also impede the use of the shield. With your gunpod in the left hand and the weapon system in your right, the shield can't be used. If you rely on the weapon system and stow the gunpod, you have a smaller rate of fire (assuming that thing has to build up a charge and fire). A gunpod would have a much higher sustained rate-of-fire and be more cost effective in the long run.

Actually, the heavy weapon consideration was one of the many things that I loved about Mac plus... it just showed a great deal of thought, not only intot he story and characters but also into the military application of these weapons.

Consider that the Yf-19 and 21 were both designed to fold behind enemy lines... having more powerful weapons means that these guys could take out fortifcations, heavier mechs ( like the monster dispatched ), and punch a hole for conventional VFs to come in and still be able to back them up in terms of firepower.

It's that sort of attention to detail that makes me love macross...

its bit hard to see it when its dark so i brighten them up and combine the 2 pics that is important.

hmmm, from the look of that picture, it does look like the weapons are coming out of the arm... maybe it's a combination of both, the weapons are stored internally, the armour sleeve is fitted to protect the weapons.... I'm thinking the weapons take up the space usually used for when the hand folds in during fighter mode...

I still say that the second pic is probably an animation error rather than the weapons being internal. In the first pic, the unit looks big enough to store the weapons.

Or looking at the second pic again, I think that what we are seeing as the weapons pod opens is shadow on the surface of the YF-19's forearm, rather than a hole in the forearm

Graham

I don't know why its said that this is an animation error. Everything can't be animation error. Unless Egan Loo or Shoji Kawamori says so. LOL Anyways, in the second you can clearly see that the pistons move out of the arm unit, the top weapon's cover does not have enough depth to cover the diameter of the barrel and the hole is not the same color as the weapons option it appears to be black-like a whole. Since the YF-19 cannot transform into Fighter mode with these things attached, then it would make sense that this is a Heavy Weapon option for Battroid-use in which the panels on the arm are removed and the hand simply does not slide back in until the option is ejected if it can be ejected. That is my speculation on things. When you watch the animation it looks like weapon pack does out of the arm. Its possible.

:huh: The second pic is the reason I held on to the notion that the weapons were coming out of a hole in the forearm. But you make a strong case Graham.

Still, I dont like the animation error excuse.

Are there any other anim. errors in Macross Plus?

I guess we'll never know for certain.

Unless Nanashi's got some lineart he's sittin' on :p

I don't know why its said that this is an animation error. Everything can't be animation error. Unless Egan Loo or Shoji Kawamori says so. LOL Anyways, in the second you can clearly see that the pistons move out of the arm unit, the top weapon's cover does not have enough depth to cover the diameter of the barrel and the hole is not the same color as the weapons option it appears to be black-like a whole. Since the YF-19 cannot transform into Fighter mode with these things attached, then it would make sense that this is a Heavy Weapon option for Battroid-use in which the panels on the arm are removed and the hand simply does not slide back in until the option is ejected if it can be ejected. That is my speculation on things. When you watch the animation it looks like weapon pack does out of the arm. Its possible.

Although the fact that the panels collapse into the arm may allow it to transform, let's assume it can't transform into fighter mode with that thing. You would waste fighter mode with that thing. To lose fighter mode for firepower.....I would not call that an equal tradeoff.

I think it's a shadow in the second pic. The first one looks plently big for the weapons, and looks like it encompasses the arm. It wouldn't be able to go into fighter mode with that thing attatched. Gerwalk would be fine.

In the side on view picture, the weapons pack looks plenty big enough to store the internal weapons IMO. However, in the front view pic the opening panels/covers do seem to have shrunk. Perhaps the animators simply wanted to emphasise the size of the weapons in this scene by using perspective to make the covers look smaller.

Anyway, I'm convinced that the weapons are NOT internal to the battroids arm and the pack attaches to the YF-19's standard forearm by simply sliding over it, thus allowing it to be jettisoned once the weapons are expended or the pilot wishes to transform.

I do not think it would be practical to have a special forearm modied just to fit this pack.

Graham

In the side on view picture, the weapons pack looks plenty big enough to store the internal weapons IMO. However, in the front view pic the opening panels/covers do seem to have shrunk. Perhaps the animators simply wanted to emphasise the size of the weapons in this scene by using perspective to make the covers look smaller.

Anyway, I'm convinced that the weapons are NOT internal to the battroids arm and the pack attaches to the YF-19's standard forearm by simply sliding over it, thus allowing it to be jettisoned once the weapons are expended or the pilot wishes to transform.

I do not think it would be practical to have a special forearm modied just to fit this pack.

Graham

I have to disagree with you Graham.

Also, if the weapon option allows the 19 to blow up something as large as a Monster in one volley... it would be worth removing a few panels from the arm and having to keep the hand out.

:huh: The second pic is the reason I held on to the notion that the weapons were coming out of a hole in the forearm. But you make a strong case Graham.

Still, I dont like the animation error excuse.

Are there any other anim. errors in Macross Plus?

I guess we'll never know for certain.

Unless Nanashi's got some lineart he's sittin' on :p

I don't have any line of this particular item. Just some design sheets, the books and 35mm positive filmstrips. What I posted before was @ 25% of original scan size:

mp-film-full.jpg

I think I have the answer. In Macross Design Works the first sketch of GBP-1S is a Battroid filled with missiles everywhere; It did really look like a fake Battroid unable to transform. I think the idea was recycled, that arm could really be a replacement arm.

Now, contrary to what people think, that arm would not prevent transformation in any way. Between the right arm and the left arm there is some space left for the gunpod, and between the right arm and the shield there is some room for an ammo clip. That arm would fit, it would just replace the gunpod. The only hindrance would be how the hand is stored, but it could be solved with proper engineering.

FV

Although the fact that the panels collapse into the arm may allow it to transform, let's assume it can't transform into fighter mode with that thing. You would waste fighter mode with that thing. To lose fighter mode for firepower.....I would not call that an equal tradeoff.

"The loss" would probably only be temporary one and a ground fight may be required in a situation such as being pinned-down on the ground due to heavy anti-air weaponry etc. Fighter mode isn't everything.

"The loss" would probably only be temporary one and a ground fight may be required in a situation such as being pinned-down on the ground due to heavy anti-air weaponry etc. Fighter mode isn't everything.

Does anyone know if valks can fold in modes other than fighter? I don't see why they wouldn't....

I ask because... if a few VF 19's can fold in behind enemy lines, say in gerwalk, and punch out the heavy hitters with that weapons arm, they could pave the way for other valks to come in through the hole...

or, the weapons arm could be deployed during defensive missions, since it seems that UN SPACY uses valks now for guard duty... giving them the ability to have heavy hitting weapons seems like a good thing in either case.

Does anyone know if valks can fold in modes other than fighter? I don't see why they wouldn't....

IIRC, in episode # 3 of Macross Dynamite 7, Lisa folds in a captured VF-17D in battroid mode.

Graham

And she was just holding the device, not even hooked up properly. Some kind of wireless connection ;)