Curious: What do you guys think of Castlevania

wakobi

Well I had a spare few bucks to spend on a game this month and was looking at the mixed reviews that the newest Castlevania game on PS2 got. I'm a semi-fan of the series and I absolutely love DMC, just curious what the MacrossWorlders had to say about it.

Feel free to chime in! ;)

SOTN was the best Castlevania game ever. Peroid.

Stick with that one. I played he new one for PS2, and I found myself dusting off my PSX collection to play SOTN again :)

SOTN was the best Castlevania game ever. Peroid.

Stick with that one. I played he new one for PS2, and I found myself dusting off my PSX collection to play SOTN again :)

What about Rondo of Blood?

Or do we not count that because it's japanese only?

SotN is beautiful, but I've always found it far too easy.

I've never found any of the games besides the first four games to appealing.

I had a lot of fun with LOI. If you had fun with DMC, then you'll most likely have fun with this one.

Your tactics change drasticaly when you play as Joachim (the hidden character). Your whip is replaced buy five magic swords, and your attacks are medium to long range with him as opposed to Leon's in-your-face style.

Solely in terms of gameplay, I rank it as the best Castlevania.

Edited by Druna Skass

Okay... the most important thing to remember about Lament is that, even though the Symphony crew worked on it, it's really NOTHING like Symphony. As was previously noted, it's more akin to Devil May Cry, although Lament has the block button that DMC was so sorely lacking. If that sounds appealing to you, then by all means pick it up... I think it's $30 tops at Gamestop (we might have even lowered it to $20).

Okay... now that I've got that out of the way... yes, Symphony is also my favorite of the Castlevania games. But yes, it's far to easy... especially if you use the Shield Rod with the Alucard Shield on the last boss... but that doesn't mean it's the only good Castlevania, one_klump. If you have a GBA (or preferable an SP), the three GBA Castlevanias are all very excellent. Aria of Sorrow was especially close in flavor to Symphony, although Aria is kinda short.

JB0, Rondo of Blood was a great game, too. Come to think of it, aside from the N64 Castlevania's and the original Gameboy Castlevania's, all the Castlevania games are good. Problem is, though, that the good ones fall into three very different catagories, which makes them hard to compare. Rondo of Blood falls in with Super Castlevania IV, Bloodlines (the suprisingly good Genesis one), and the original NES trio, in terms of gameplay (although many consider it to be the best of that batch, and certainly better than the SNES version). Symphony was the first of a new breed of Castlevania that includes the three GBA titles, while Lament makes up the third catagory on it's own.

JBO, a lot of the diehard Castlevania fanatics (I'm not one of them) consider RoB to be THE definative Castlevania ever (at least as it was seen on the SuperCD) As in, they considered it the ultimate game that could be delivered in the classical Castlevania style, and they're right... the game "owns" so hard it's a difficult platformer to top. If you can find the game or a ROM, I highly reccomend it!

Although Castlevania purists cannot stand the SNES translation (Castlevania "Circle of Blood", while technically a correct name translation, it removes all of the musical nuance from the name... the Euro version was known as "Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss" to remove all blood notions from the name), I found it to be pretty decent for what the SNES could do. The music took a cut in quality, no voices, and no cutscenes between stages, but the basic game itself is intact. If you can't find RoB, this is a decent substitute.

Said purists place Akumajo Dracula: Gekka no Nocturne (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) in a whole different category, and again rightfully so. The game was all that which is cool minus a difficulty level (for REALLY easy work, use the Crissaegrim sword, NOTHING can stand in your way!). Some people have referred to it as "Baroque Super Metroid", which is pretty funny... the two games aren't far off in terms of gameplay.

LoI has recieved a mixed reaction. No one doubts that the graphics and animation are beautifully done and the music is all encompassing, but gameplay took some serious knocks. People all over have bashed the camera angles (it frustrated me at many points in the game when I would come to an intersection where I could not see down all directions.... you usually had to go in "guns blazing" or else face the wrath of some enemy you could not see). Nevertheless it was remotely entertaining. Having said that, it only made #3 on my Castlevania list (a distant third under SotN and RoB)

JBO, a lot of the diehard Castlevania fanatics (I'm not one of them) consider RoB to be THE definative Castlevania ever (at least as it was seen on the SuperCD) As in, they considered it the ultimate game that could be delivered in the classical Castlevania style, and they're right... the game "owns" so hard it's a difficult platformer to top. If you can find the game or a ROM, I highly reccomend it!

I know. :p

And you can't find a RoB ROM, as it was a CD game.

ROM does not mean pirated software, it means a little silicon chip with data etched into it. It can be stretched to mean ROM images, but DISK images? No.

Yes, I shall fight abuse of terms to the day I die. :p

Said purists place Akumajo Dracula: Gekka no Nocturne (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) in a whole different category, and again rightfully so. The game was all that which is cool minus a difficulty level (for REALLY easy work, use the Crissaegrim sword, NOTHING can stand in your way!). Some people have referred to it as "Baroque Super Metroid", which is pretty funny... the two games aren't far off in terms of gameplay.

Ya know, getting the Crissaegrim is a challenge in itself. Not of difficulty, but patience...

It's a good 3D game. But Personally, I feel it copied more from Rygar than Devil May Cry. I was expecting a whole new experience. Instead I got an overpriced game that played like a game that was already in the bargain bin.

Rental at best.

Ya know, getting the Crissaegrim is a challenge in itself. Not of difficulty, but patience...

yeah yeah, ROM IMAGE... everyone knows what I meant.... :)

It took me the better part of three days of trying to land a crissaegrim and then I landed TWO back to back. <_< Nothing like running with a wall of destruction clearing the way for you... go through the inverted clock hallways and watch your level SOAR! :)

Edited by Skull Leader

yeah yeah, ROM IMAGE... everyone knows what I meant.... :)

It took me the better part of three days of trying to land a crissaegrim and then I landed TWO back to back. <_< Nothing like running with a wall of destruction clearing the way for you... go through the inverted clock hallways and watch your level SOAR! :)

It's not a ROM image either. I would've let that slide. :p

And the Crissaegrim wasn't even that fun to me.

I liked those throwing swords you got form the floaty guys with the swords.

No, I can't remember their names.