Robotech Masterpiece Collection.

Wyll

Hey there, newcomer to the board and fan of macross for a while, I'm just posting to ask what's everyone's opinion of the Robotech Masterpiece Collection 1/55 Valks. I got a 1/60 Miria Fast Pack and it's my pride and joy Valk sofar, I bought the 1/55 Masterpiece Miria yesterday and I can't hide my disapointment at it, compared to my yamato it seems terrible, the backpack flies loosly with no sturdiness to keep it in place, the dang leg magnets are weak as hell and the slightest knock collapses whatever post I've managed to get it into, anyone else share this view on this version of Valk toys, or have I bought a Yamato and now can't settle for anything but another 1/60 :p

PS, I'm trying to get a DYRL VF1S Fokker 1/60, can anyone point me in the right direction to try and get one?

I've attatched a pic, the quality is terrible and I do apologise as I cannot make it any sharper or clearer, webcam is 4 year old now and I'm too lazy to get a camera.

post-4-1088282613.jpg

welcome to the boards. Word of advice, anything robotech related should go into the anime and other section. Robotech is frowned on in the MACROSS toy section. Not too many people like the MPC. Anyway, for the roy 1/60, check out the for sale section. People are always selling that toy there. :p:D:lol:

yeah,try the for sale section or i've always thought tmpanime.com had the best prices on yamato valks.tam is a board member too,so your getting from family there.keep your $ in the family & we all benifit. B))

I used to be happy with my MPC's, until I bought the armor for them, and when trying to apply the armor to my miriya her arm broke off, and it pissed me off, because I am very careful with my toys, I don't play with them ever and just one transformation to put her armor, and the arm goes. :angry:

I've attatched a pic, the quality is terrible and I do apologise

OMG thats aweful thats horrible Ugh!. Wait your apologizing for quality of the picture you say? I thought you were apologizing for the quality of the MPC. My bad :p:lol:

1/48 is the only wa to go. I hate the 1/60 Yamato just as much as I hate the MPC. Once you get your first 1/48, you'll never look back......everything else seems mediocre (sp?).

I've attatched a pic, the quality is terrible and I do apologise as I cannot make it any sharper or clearer, webcam is 4 year old now and I'm too lazy to get a camera.

Welcome to the MW Forums Wyll. Make sure to check out the pinned topics on the top of each sub-forum.

It don't think it's your camera that's terrible, ANY MPC is gonna make your pictures look worse than they should be. :lol:

well for me anyways, the MPC has a toy kinda feel to it and Yamatos has a Pre build model feel to it.

My first 1/60 VF-1a Hikaru was kind of a let down since I was expecting so much more but it still feel right in either one of their 3 modes, and looks great in Fighter mode. I then continue on collection the rest as time passes. Then one day my friend used the money he owned me and purchase a MPC Miria thinking it was the 1/60 Yamato version. It was then when I finially did a comparion of the 2. The toy feels losse, the modes don't look right, every single one of them. Even with the fastpack it still dont' look right. Can't really point to where , maybe the cockpit cover?, the chest plate, the intakes, the wings, the middle section, the 2 fastpackes , etc. I even enjoy those Banprestos more then the MPC. :)

After getting the MPC, I like the 1/60 so much more, and then it was time for 1/48. Once you get here, the rest is history.

i would say the MPCs are more well-built for durability. if you read some earlier posts, you'll see stories of how the 1/48 parts break or snap. IMHO, MPCs are more playable due to them being closely designed after the original Takatoku designs. the 1/48s are more for display pieces and are very delicate things.

i would say the MPCs are more well-built for durability. if you read some earlier posts, you'll see stories of how the 1/48 parts break or snap. IMHO, MPCs are more playable due to them being closely designed after the original Takatoku designs. the 1/48s are more for display pieces and are very delicate things. 

To me, the 1/48's are more enjoyable than any other VF-1 toy.  It takes more time, but the transformation is very smooth and easy.  Out of 4 that I own, I have had zero problems besides a few QC annoyances in earlier models.  I have all the 1/55 reissues and while they are easier to transform, they seem more like kids toys and not as good as they could be.  If Bandai only tweaked the design a little, added some joints and some detail, they would of sold a million of reissues.  I still enjoy having them but if I had to sell my collection, the 1/48's would be the last to go.

I don't mean to go into the "which toy is better" debate, but I must respond to "the 1/48's are more for display pieces and are very delicate things." It seems you do not own a 1/48 and only speak by misconseptions. The 1/48's are far from very delicate. Because they contain more parts, more joints, more detail, etc. there is more to go wrong. Previous Yamato's had far more problems so people just expect the worse no matter what Yamato produces. The 1/48's were the first to be computer designed and I have heard of only a few breakages. The most being the backpack hinge which is a problem on all vf-1 toys. Even the most rugged 1/55's had this problem.

The 1/48's are more enjoyable to me than any other vf-1 toy. The transformation is easy and very smooth. They have the best articulation, detail, and accuracy to line art. True, the MPC and 1/55's are easier to transform but they are built for kids and it shows. If Bandai updated the design, added detail and more joints for the reissues, they would of sold a ton. I still enjoy my 1/55's for the nostalgia but if I had to sell my collection, the 1/48's would be the last to go.

edit- message was cut short for some reason

Edited by Jawjaw

uh no offense but what the hell are you talking about>? I have been playing with valks for so long( i am now 20) and dude I have 3 MPC, 1 bandai reissue, a old jetfiure , a 1./60 and 1/48. By far the most duirable is bandai with the 1/48 coming in 2nd., MPC is loose as helll in many areas and breakage will result on your MPC long before your 1/48 breaks. I transform my 1/48 rrrrrough and its NEVER broken. try saying that to all my broke model kits. Also the 1/48 can be played with, Im sorry but the bandai 1/55...famous and classic and admirable as it is, I finally came to the conclusion that whil it still can be enjoyed, its time has come. Jawjaw is right, the only thing really bitched about is the backpack. MPC's wiring can break without even trying it happene to me.

1/48 is NOWHERE NEAR DELICATE!!!!!!!! I dont know why anyone would just buy and display and be afraid to handle it. its big and its AUTOPcad designed not to mention very DURABLE. I mean come on. 1/60 has more diecast but is more FRAGILE!!!

1/60 has cracked hip insertion points. cracked canopies anyone>?

MPC has a ton of problems and looseness is a major one, and its head lasers will break more than the much hyped breakable 1/48 head lasers(1/48 is a tough PVC material i belive and very resistant to breakage...i know because i play with it a LOT).

through and through i play with MPC and 1/48 and how come my MPC feet chip if or slightly change shape at the tips when displayed and feet are meddled with? how come this doesnt happen to the 1/48?

I dont know how you can say its very delicate no offense dude, but i just think the toy is very very durable, no wait KNOW it is. transformation is very easy./ jsut make sure the chestplate is at an angle when sliding the heatshield and BAM the trickiest part is over

not delicate, built for rough play and for the adult fan who grew with macross.

MPC is just something cool to buy on discount. Which I did. skull 1 for 10$!!!

If I where playing with my Valks like I did back when I was 13, I would rather play with a MPC. The reason is that the MPC joints are smoother. I liked changing modes in the most realistic looking way as possiable as I had my mock battle. With the MPC in Valk mode you can hold it at the intakes with your left and with two fingers your right hand can open the the feet pull the legs down and sprend them as if it's reverseing thrust. But that how I like to play. I mean, thats how I use to play. :D

no offense taken. i know how you guys can be so detailed about such stuff. where i come from, we don't usually have that kind of luxury.

anyway, perhaps i stand corrected on this issue. MPCs aren't more durable. 1/48s are. happy? :D honestly, i've been busy so haven't really had time to fool around in detail with either.

i did say IMHO didn't i? i did say playable right? well, if you ask me, comparing MPC to 1/48, it's easier to play with the MPC as like someone pointed out, there're more parts in a 1/48. i've never heard about how other valks have their versions of the BP8 part in the 1/48 break before. my bad. i did say i stand corrected about the durability statement right? :p i'm glad for you SDK7.0 that roughness hasn't done anything to your 1/48s. i can't say the same for mine. already i have a minor QC problem with Max 1J where its wing's airflap comes loose when jarred, even if a little. i've also heard of problems with the hip joints at the point where they're connected to the swingbar. some come loose in fact. <_<

like you said SDK, they're made for the adult fan that grew up with Macross. adults DO know how to play with care. that's called cautious treatment, not playing, haha. would you hand your 1/48 and some instructions to a kid for playing? :ph34r: i definitely wouldn't. it costs too much for that. but for the MPCs, i don't really mind, nor the Bandai reissues. granted, the head lasers would probably snap. it IS entirely possible they'll come back with broken joints or limbs, but i guess it'll still be playable.

Welcome and don't worry, some of us here don't mind Robotech stuff. While the Yamato stuff is clearly of better quality, the MPCs aren't that bad.

I think most of the people that bash on MPC's only bought the first 1. I admit that vol 1 (Rick Hunter) isn't that great with its day glow white and its cheap plastic feel, but they got better as they moved on. I think the last one is the best. (Vol 6)

The first MPC i got was VOL 6 (Jack) and i didn't see that many problems with it. Sure the magnet fast packs dont fit on that great, but either does my 1/60 fast pack. (1/60 fast pack is kinda crappy too, and it doesn't work on all 1/60's, whats up with that? <_< )

The MPC's may be a little loose, but the 1/60s get floppy over time :angry:

IMHO they both are kinda lacking....(though not enough to stop me from buying a set of each anyways :) ) though i like MPC's over 1/60's thats just a personal pref, as pop off leg action really pisses me off....

if you want to add a new valk to your collection, 1/48 is the way to go :D

If I where playing with my Valks like I did back when I was 13, I would rather play with a MPC. The reason is that the MPC joints are smoother. I liked changing modes in the most realistic looking way as possiable as I had my mock battle. With the MPC in Valk mode you can hold it at the intakes with your left and with two fingers your right hand can open the the feet pull the legs down and sprend them as if it's reverseing thrust. But that how I like to play. I mean, thats how I use to play. :D

pop off leg action sucks~!!!!!! ;)

1/48 is the only wa to go. I hate the 1/60 Yamato just as much as I hate the MPC. Once you get your first 1/48, you'll never look back......everything else seems mediocre (sp?).

this is too true~!!!

(well, actually i bought a lot of 1/48's first and ran out of yamato stuff to buy so then i picked up the 1/60s, but thats only cuz i wanted them all)

:rolleyes: