Xenosaga II takes the gold!

Gaijin

Famitsu scores out of 40. 33 is a pretty high score, 37+ is super-exceedingly rare.

Though IMHO, after reading translations of their reviews, I place absolutely no faith in them. While it seems half the gaming world (and all of Japan) treats their reviews as gospel, they seem to me like it's four 12 year olds who care about graphics, graphics, coolness, and how many big explosions there are.

I never really heard too much about the first one.... Is the first one worth playing?

Love the cover art on the pic above.

Ok....i played the 1st one on a friend's PS2 before I had one....so obviously I dont' have a save file to carry over to this game. And I can't be stuffed replaying the 1st one. I wonder if this limits my abilities somewhat......how do those games with multiple volumes like hack work? Do get disabled alot for no save game from the 1st? Or worse....it doesn't start without that save game?

Edited by wolfx

I have to agree with Xenosaga being extremly boring. It looked great, no doubt but that was all it had going for it I'm afraid. I've played tons of RPGs, since FF, Zelda, and Dragon Warrior back on the NES when I was little. Xenosaga was the first to bore me, never paused so many times and started doing other things. To much of a interactive movie then a game. I'm not looking forward to Xenosaga 2 to be honest and doubt I'll pay it any attention.

Ok....i played the 1st one on a friend's PS2 before I had one....so obviously I dont' have a save file to carry over to this game. And I can't be stuffed replaying the 1st one. I wonder if this limits my abilities somewhat......how do those games with multiple volumes like hack work? Do get disabled alot for no save game from the 1st? Or worse....it doesn't start without that save game?

Dunno how they plan to do it for Xenosaga, but at least for .hack all of your saved eq, exp, and character relations get carried over. If you don't have a saved game, then you'll start off with a pretty generic character.

mmm.... would be interesting to be able to use Shion's ultimate summon right at the beginning though :D

XS 2 only adds a few new costumes, and like 1 small "extra treasure dungeon" if you have a XS 1 save. It's nothing compared to hack, or even Suikoden. And Suik 3 didn't get much from Suik 2, it's Suik 2 that REALLY got some great stuff from Suik 1. A long time ago I heard techs might be carried over, but nothing since. It'd make sense though, as it'd probably take a whole 'nother game to get all the ones from the first.

My #1 complaint with XS 1 was the battle system, and the implementation of FFX-style character-switching will help quite a bit. Won't solve all my gripes, but'll help. (Biggest gripe: Techs. Techs are slow to learn, not that much better than a normal attack, the whole slow/fast version thing, and you never have the one you need) XG had perfect techs, they rocked. Quick, unlimited access, many choices. Fei's 2nd-to-last is still my all-time fave.

For me, I only play the series in the hope that XS 5 actually will be Xenogears. :):):)

(Of course, XS 4 should be the Solarian-Nisan war, and the Diabolos war--which'll be fine so long as I can use Alpha-Weltall)

I found Saga to be satisfying, didn't render me speechless or anything, but satisfing enough.

My biggest gripe was the battle system and that no matter how long I go around beating the crap out of enemies, I was always short of cash. Rectify those issues and I'll have more than a "hmm this could be interesting" attitude towards Saga II.

Oh and I know this sounds weird, but I want to be confused as hell in the middle of the game and have most of the answers fall into place like they did in Gears. I want mind f*cks in this game.

Admitedly XS1 could've been alot better.....but I wouldn't call it boring for its cool story. Running around fighting monsters was quite a chore though...if that's what you meant.

Main complaint of XS 1 was the battle system like David said. There were alot of techs and abilities that required a distinct combination like "female character in the back formation" or something like that. You have to set alot of crap up BEFORE the battle, thus causing it to be cumbersome and making you "can't be stuffed" thus putting all your chars in front and use all the offensive techs before bad guys kill you. Not much strategy there.

And also... AGWS were useless. Sure they kicked ass when you start out, but after that they're just wasting your time since they can't be healed and the damage they deal are less than your techs. Hopefully they fix that with XS 2's MGWS (bigger AGWS' i heard).

Main gripe with the story was they presented too many points to the player and the player (speaking for myself here) can't soak up all the information immediately causing him/her to miss out on important points. I for one didn't understand how AGWS were in anyway ANTI-GNOSIS since they got pwned very badly in the 1st battle. Then my observant friend said they did mention that the 100 series realians which were supposed to be onboard were not around to cause the Hilbert Effect, rendering AGWS uselesss since they can't harm the Gnosis. I completely missed that bit though. I won't be surprised if I missed out tonnes more.

I remember only one part where party formation tactics really mattered, when you had only Momo and Ziggy. Other than that, only reason to care about formations would be if you're planning on doing something special... like.. uh... try out all the new moves? Or trying to play a "Perfect Game" <_< Maybe it's just me, but I just put everybody in the front line and broke out any offensive tech I had.

Money was never really a problem for some reason... I think that's cause I gambled a lot.

Did miss a whole lot of the story though, until I stumbled upon the in-game encyclopedia. Wealth of background information in there that really makes a difference.

Oh yeah, AGWS. So utterly totally completely useless. KOS-MOS was as good as 3 of them put together.

Techs--that relates to my "never have the right one" problem. You have them all set up for say, fire and lightning and maybe gravity, (which took like 10 levels to learn, and 20 mins arranging your party) then some ice/holy guys show up. You can't swap characters, your chosen magic/techs won't work, your quick techs are useless, and you MIGHT have an appropriate "slow" tech available that one character can use every other round... That always happened to me at the end, as Jr and chaos were the only ones with decent holy attacks. I used Moonlight Sonata until I was deathly sick of it. If I could just have ALL techs be quick, or be able to select ALL the "magic" ones. Having quick access to only like 25% of your techs is worthless. Especially with 4 basic elements and only 3 characters...

Money--well the fact that beating enemies didn't give you any money was the main problem! Yes, it's more realistic, but it's just accepted in RPG's that killing monsters gives gold. I bought new stuff for KOS-MOS and Ziggy, and that's all I could afford. If I was lucky.

Story--I actually like Cmdr Cherenkoff's (sp?) story more than anything. And my sig relates to it even. :)

I really enjoyed the first one... but I don't understand this idea that the AGWS couldn't be healed.... there were frame HP items around, and there was the guard cleanser accessory that healed when you guarded with your AGWS anyway....

I rarely had a problem with keeping my AGWS in the fight. Just guard a bit, and you'll pop back up in HP real quick.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the next one....

I really enjoyed the first one... but I don't understand this idea that the AGWS couldn't be healed.... there were frame HP items around, and there was the guard cleanser accessory that healed when you guarded with your AGWS anyway....

I rarely had a problem with keeping my AGWS in the fight. Just guard a bit, and you'll pop back up in HP real quick.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the next one....

My wrong then...but i never bothered to explore the AGWS as you can already tell. And AGWS HP items were expensive especially with limited cash you have. (Can u believe i don't know how to play poker? :lol: )

AGWS were crap to me....i rather just attack with techs instead of waste one turn summoning the damn thing.

I ran out of frame HP stuff REAL fast. Used AGWS for like 3 fights in the whole game, and that used up the entire game's worth of frame healing stuff I'd found. Of course, I had wussy AGWS because I couldn't afford to upgrade.

Guard cleanser--yeah, if you had the money. I remember heading back to the sewers/forest for an hour to kill stuff to get fangs to trade for money to buy like 1 full set of armor...

You know, it all comes down to money. I remember that for the last 10 hours of the game, I didn't earn 1 cent. Only RPG I know of where killing monsters for a few hours won't give you any cash. Levelling up is slow, as is learning techs. There's really no point in fighting enemies, benefits are few and far between. Add to the fact that most fights take WAY too many rounds...

I liked the story, but the battles just took forever, because everything was too weak and too slow, and everything else cost too much to upgrade because you never had any money.

That's actually the only 2 things that bothered me about the first...the hard to get cash and the techs. After I learned about the Poker trick, I quickly made enough to buy anything, so that wasn't a problem but I hope they fixed the techs.

I never found the game boring though.

I learned to not trust the scores too much, but I think Xenosaga EP2 is a good game. ;)

Boring? Yes It is really a particular game, where the storyline is the most important thing, and the gamplay is not the best thing but the cinematic sequense are not boring at all, if you get caught by the story the game is very beauty, the only thing that i'm not happy in the ep 1 is the way you use the mechs, 10 times better Xenogears, but this problem seems to be fixed in this episode.

I look forward XSEP2 (one year *sigh*) and I swear it wil not be censured this time.

I learned to not trust the scores too much, but I think Xenosaga EP2 is a good game. ;)

Boring? Yes It is really a particular game, where the storyline is the most important thing, and the gamplay is not the best thing but the cinematic sequense are not boring at all, if you get caught by the story the game is very beauty, the only thing that i'm not happy in the ep 1 is the way you use the mechs, 10 times better Xenogears, but this problem seems to be fixed in this episode.

I look forward XSEP2 (one year *sigh*) and I swear it wil not be censured this time.

There was stuff censored in the 1s one? :huh:

The major complain I heard about Xenosaga is that it never really goes anywhere. I know a couple of people who played the game all the way through, constantly expecting something amazing and cool to happen, only to be incredibly dissapointed and bitter that nothing ever did.

I haven't played the game myself, but I often see people going on and on about games or anime or movies claiming that the reason many didn't like them was because the story was so deep, when this isn't always the case. Some quasi-philosophical dialogue and MTV camera work doesn't make a bland, simple story into something deep and meaningful.

Well, try it and see if you agree. I for one enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but by no means was it boring to me. XS hardly has a bland and simple story. FF often has simpler stories that are quite predictable if you ask me. Even X, which I did enjoy was very predictable to me.

The US version of Xenosaga was slightly"censored" in one of the cut scenes, if you count them moving Albedo's hand on/in Momo censored. Compared to the original footage, it's nothing to worry about, as nothing was lost.

My other complaint with the first actually was the english dubbing. I wish they just brought it over with subtitles. I mean, they subtitle the english. I know it appeals to a more broad audience though. ;)

Edited by Gaijin

XS is just like LOTR, ending-wise. Each one is just going to "stop" until you get to the last one. XS doesn't have an ending, it's just waiting for XS2 which will pick up about 30 secs after the last scene in XS.

Of course, the "original" XG still blows it away story/music/character-wise, XS's purple-haired chick has nothing on Miang. :)

When the project first started, I heard that though they were indeed similar, the Xenosaga series would not be related to XG. Wonder if they will stick to that, or changed their minds and a few sequels down the road we get a totally redone XG on the PS3 or something.

Does anyone know? I never kept up on it and just assumed that they went with "these are the prequels leading up to XG unofficially". Be interesting how they will do that since Square still has the rights to all of XG.

Edited by Gaijin

I kinda think that a lot of people had Xenogears in mind when they played the game. Honestly in my opinion XS doesn't even begin to compare to XG in terms of gameplay, characters, world, and story. It just doesn't. XS beats it out in graphics. The Gears in XG were a great part of the game and were very usefull even when you didn't have to use them. The AGWS are just a pain in the ass no matter how you look at it. They are slow, no way to repair the damage when you need it. You are better off outside of them at times. Characters like Ziggy and Momo were interesting but that was it for me. The female lead in XS was just so annoying, especially her coworker.

Maybe XS is and was the result of them trying to draw out a story over several games to get more money.

I've heard about the unofficial prequel thing in relation to Xenogears. Should be interesting to see what happens in the story if they reach the point where XG was suppose to take place. Personally I'd like to see Square-Enix build off Xenogears themselves.

Edited by Effect

At the moment they're going too slow to have XG be Episode 5. They either have to skip big chunks, or will need like 7 games...

Still, the story (XS) isn't deviating at all about what needs to happen to get to XG. Though IMHO they could have just skipped about 95% of what happened in XS, if they want to tell "the big story". The opening FMV of XS is exactly what it "should" be, to be the very beginning of XG. And transporting Zohar in a ship through space---heck, that's what the 'key' part of the story is, IMHO. KOS-MOS, transparent noncorporeal bug aliens, etc are all secondary, unless they're going to tie it in some way. (A billion theories would work)

And we'll need all-new characters and a big time-line jump pretty soon. Like, XS 3.

The Eldridge needs to be launched soon, not 3 games from now...

As it is, it looks like they're spending all their time on the 1 paragraph summary of the very beginning of XG's story, and not all the "good stuff" which immediately precedes the game which makes up 90% of the "history" of XG. (Eldrige, Zeboim, Nisan/Solaris war, Diabolos war).

:;edit:: last bit removed to avoid potentially spoiling XS2, just in case I'm right. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Cool trailers on the IGN site. ;)

And I found a clip[ of interviews from Monolith...

Is Xenosaga a direct sequel or prequel to Square's Xenogears?

Yoshidumi Makoto - Though the development team is the same, they were previously working under Square for Xenogears, and now they have shifted to Monolith Software for Xenosaga. But with our relation between Square, I think it is difficult for us to say it is a direct sequel or prequel. It's probably more suitable to say that it follows the direction and style of Xenogears.

Watching the trailer, we can't help but notice that there are some familiar faces from Xenogears. Are these characters somehow related in Xenosaga?

Tetsuya Takahashi - Now that we are under a different company, we figured we should start everything from scratch all over again. Though there are familiar faces that serve as important characters in Xenosaga, others are more like self-parodies, so we don't really want Xenogears fans to overreact. Like movies, sometimes you have the director of the movie or friend of the leading actor appearing as cameos, so it's similar to that.

No matter how much I would like a remake of Xenogears, Square-Enix has already said no. And Monolith/Namco don't have the rights to make Xenogears.

Don't know how old it is.

Edited by Gaijin

The US version of Xenosaga was slightly"censored" in one of the cut scenes, if you count them moving Albedo's hand on/in Momo censored. Compared to the original footage, it's nothing to worry about, as nothing was lost.

You kidding? Tonnes were lost! Now I know Albedo has some sick realian paedophilia with his hunger for energy or whatever it is he sucks from them...... :o

I liked Episode I but based on finishing it and reading Episode II previews, it seems like Episode's I&II shoulda been a single game.

My complaint is that Episode I, even as a part 1, felt rushed as well as unfinished story and game wise. Shouldn't every part of a multi-parter have at least a little closure at the end?

Episode I felt like the introduction portion of most other RPG's.

Yes this one of the two scenes changed, but they also changed the first scene with Albedo and MOMO, in the japanese version he uses a knife to frighten MOMO and then to cut his arm and his head, in the US version he hasn't the knife and he snatch his arm/head, I think this is really stupid ;) You can find the uncesured scenes in www.Zenosaga.com.

My other complaint with the first actually was the english dubbing.  I wish they just brought it over with subtitles.  I mean, they subtitle the english.  I know it appeals to a more broad audience though.  ;)

Me too :D

Yes this one of the two scenes changed, but they also changed the first scene with Albedo and MOMO, in the japanese version he uses a knife to frighten MOMO and then to cut his arm and his head, in the US version he hasn't the knife and he snatch his arm/head, I think this is really stupid ;) You can find the uncesured scenes in www.Zenosaga.com.

So... using a knife is less acceptable than tearing one's own limbs off by sheer brutal force? wow.... wonder what's the logic behind that.

Hopefully companies are beginning to see the wisdom behind subs... although why Onimusha 3 took out subs in favour of dubs is beyond me. The problem with dubs: voices tend to be dumbed down and made to sound younger than some of the original Japanese voices. One that I can think of that made a lot of different would be Raiden's voice in MGS: SOL... maybe ppl would have hated him less if he had retained his rather mature voice in the original Japanese dub.

I, for one, am glad that knowledge of XG isn't required, since I never played the game. Yes yes, it's one of the greatest RPGs ever, I even have it sitting right next to my PS2 in its jewel case. Just no time these days to pick up a plot-heavy game...

So.... now that XS II is just within sight... anybody know when XS III is planned? B))

So... using a knife is less acceptable than tearing one's own limbs off by sheer brutal force? wow.... wonder what's the logic behind that.

Yes it is stupid because the ways are pretty different but the wound is the same, i don't think if you tear off yor arm with brutal force it looks like you cutted it, you can even try :D

However i am always against cesures. ;)

I, for one, am glad that knowledge of XG isn't required, since I never played the game.  Yes yes, it's one of the greatest RPGs ever, I even have it sitting right next to my PS2 in its jewel case.  Just no time these days to pick up a plot-heavy game...

Yes it isn't required but you miss al the succolent citations from Xenogears :p

I saw, Elly, Fei/Abel, Citan, Billy, Vanderkaum, Big Joe citations but I want absolutely see Id in Xenosaga, they cannot deny it to me! :D