Yamato valks panel line drawing

eyesonme78

I haven't done this to any of my Valks... yet.... but pictures I've seen, when done well, REALLY looks great... I would say, if you are good at it, go for it... I'm going to practice on something other than a Valk first, and then I will probably do this to mine as well...

Hey eyesonme78

Well i did the same thing. I used a 0,5 pencil and did all the panel lines on my 1/48s and i must say, it does look more real. I wish i had the skills of some of the members here to really make my 1/48s look like the real deal nor do i have the money for it, so i use this option.

If you ask me, i think the Valks looks better with gray panel lines. If you use the 0,5 pencil option, then you can smudge the lines, giving it a "dirty" or "weathered" effect.

I was planning in getting a 0,01 technical pen, but was unable to find one here in Denmark. So i ended up buying another kind. But couldnt make myself do it on a 120+ toy :)

Hope the info helped.

-Jin

hey guys :) how well does a black Gundam fine line marker look on it? i just got a used 1/48, i intend to paneline, but i do not want to ruin it.

thanks

Chris

edited: for horrible engrish

Edited by zeo-mare

Hey zeo-mare

From what i heard, its a bad idea to use black color for panel lining. It makes it looks too "catnonish" well that was what i read. I use a black panel line too on my of my broken jetfire, and its true...too cartonish for me.

The gray color is in my opinion much better. If you are gonna do it right, then from what i remembered, the Sakura 0,01 tecnical pen is the one to use.

-Jin

thanks i to am worried about panel lineing a $100.00+ toy, i am so used to models i am actually good at panel lineing I was just wondering how it comes out with the gundam markers, does it smudge or anything? and if you get a little on the outside of the panel line does it stain when you try to wipe it off?

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

I think panel lines are way over-done. I see some that look thick and black and I weep for the poor toy. Of course, that's just my personal preference.

In my opinion, panel lines, if done at all, should be subtle.

H

Well I use the pen and then wipe off with my nice clean finger where I just lined. Takes away any excess and keeps it limited to the line itself. Sometimes they are a bit more stubborn though.

Or else when you are say panel lining and suddenly a bird hits the front window causing you to go "Ahhh" and sending the paint pen across the whole piece of the Valk..

Well for unfortunate occurances like that I use a clean eraser to get rid of thoses stubborn stains (an eraser works well also to get rid of paint mess-ups that occur directly on the plastic, meaning this won't work if you painted the whole valk, just detailed on the plastic. Toothpick does the trick also)

Hope that helps in some way

Well...as for me, the best solution is the 0,5 pencil. Use that with an eraser, then you can get panel lines and the dirty/weathered look by smudging the eraser on the panel line. Rememver to do it on specific panels, like acces panels etc, to give it a more real "dirty" look on specific areas.

Then if you dont like it you can always wash it off with soap. Its simple, cheap and safe too. The only downside with the 0,5 pencil is that you tend to over weather the panels.

Just my two cents.

-Jin

i will take pics and show you guys i used gundam markers, and used the rubber solution for rubbing off the smudges works really fine and great looking after all the efforts, i got this idea by looking at the hobby denki magazine they used gundams asa model.. i used it as well for my valk and it works great.

i will take pics and show you guys i used gundam markers, and used the rubber solution for rubbing off the smudges works really fine and great looking after all the efforts, i got this idea by looking at the hobby denki magazine they used gundams asa model.. i used it as well for my valk and it works great.

Don't see much difference in the grey vs black here. I use gundam marker + eraser and it turns out like this. The erasers help to thin the the panel lines much more than the markers themselves can manage.

mini_DSCF0021.jpg

mini_DSCF0018.jpg

More here.

http://www.wolf-x.com/gallery/vf-1s?page=3

well haven't got the batery for my digital cams yet but then i would not wanna test panel lining on my VF-1s .. too preciousssss.... for em to do that and also MY VF-1J super hikaru also ........ i scared.. not to mention my one and only low viz.....sighs... the only i dare to try is on max.. but the effects are great and i am very pleased with it..

Depends on the background colors and if you want the anime line art look or realistic look.

Use dark grey / pure black for a clean anime look

Use variable like grey shades for a realistic look. Depends on your taste. For fast packs, I would use straight black as it is already so dark.