Joke Machines - It's crazy!?!?

miks

You scored no doubt. I'm not so sure prices have dropped that much... more like people are no longer super interested in them. Back in the day when Macross toys were as rare as a ten leaf clover everything was expensive. Nowadays there's enough new toys on the market to keep the average consumer in debt until the next ice age. My guess is people are so infatuated with the new toys that the oldies are not getting much of a look in any more. Just take a look at other recent eBay prices for mint in box macross and robotech items, they are all about $20 to $50 below what they where a year or so ago.

Too many new toys spreads the loot thin...

I wonder if the reca... er, back ups have anything to do with this. I remember a couple of us were thinking if they would have an affect but there's no way to be sure. Could the thirst of MW members that would normally be interested in these auctions finally been quenched? LOL...

Nice catch miks...

I guess you guys are right. With all the new stuff coming out people are kinda caught up now looking for 1/48's , the fastpacks etc etc. Even the old chunky monkeys are going cheap... i saw a super o go for 170 2 months ago. or.. It could also just be luck of the draw... hehehe... either way I'm happy my JM collection is done (for now). Just need the matchbox boxed Milla and I'm good to go! :) But whats strange is that jetfires are still kinda expensive :blink: go figure.

Edited by miks

Question for those of you who got Rohby's backups:

How many of those out there who have back ups were considering getting an original but did not?

Kinda makes me wonder too... at $50 for a JM backup from Rohby, how long would I have had to wait before I could have gotten a completed one for a few more bucks like you did?

:Dat

*sighs*

I had a Max as a kid(unless a minor variant of the same toy was also sold under the Robotech name).

It broke. We glued it together. It broke again. We glued it again. It broke a third time. We threw it out.

Good times, those. Wish I stlll had the toy, though.

Curse my rough play!

*sighs again*

hmmm...perhaps the backups have caused a dip in prices for originals? Consider this: Let's say some of the MWers were indeed planning on purchasing / bidding for Original JM's but did not because they've either bought backups, or are on the waiting list for backups? Wouldn't this have some kind of an effect on the prices for originals?

Just my thinking.

haha, good job rob.

shipping seems to be quite high, maybe that scared some people away. and a singapore seller too.

and i think joke machine prices are coming down because back when they were super hot the people who really wanted them went and bought them. now they don't need anymore. unless of course they are hoarders keeping like 25 or something in a cabinet ;)

Did I mis something or did JM prices just crash. I remember when a boxed !1J max or milla would go for 150bucks each on ebay and The DYRL's would go for like 200 bucks. I'm glad I waited out. I got some killer scores tonight. Cheap Max Cheap milla.

man, just be happy that you got those for that price! I was looking at those auctions too, but decided not to go ahead with bidding on it as I don't have money right now. I think that's another factor why the JM's prices have dropped. I guess people are either wasting their money on the new stuff or just wasting mony on other stuff right now. But good catch though. Hopefully the next miriya JM will be mine! :p:D:lol:

Just last week my order for the JM Backup was confirmed and I recieved it just yesterday. But in between I saw a really nice Joke Machine on ebay and went for it even though I knew I would be getting the backup right away. So the backup didn't affect me any. I still like the originals enough to buy them. I just wanted the backup to make a TV Max VF-1A or TV Hikaru VF-1J out of instead of customizing an original.

kanata: I was watching those 1/100s too. I'm still looking for the 1S and I even bid on it. I think I've seen the guy who won it instead on ebay before. If my memory serves me right, he always bids some crazy super high amount on 1/100s. I'm pretty sure I saw him win a couple of them for like $350 each. It always scares me when he shows up on an auction.

-r9k

Question for those of you who got Rohby's backups:

How many of those out there who have back ups were considering getting an original but did not?

I got one of Rohby's backups and they're a work of art. However, I still plan on buying Joke Machine's in the future. I got Rohby's purely for customization and display. But I'm still going to want to play with a JM, that's where the real deal comes in. Rohby's backups are made of resin, and as with all resin models, they are *not* for play. Constantly moving resin joints slowly grinds them down, so you want to move it as little as possible. When you buy a legitimate plastic toy, this isn't as much an issue. So, I don't see Rohby's backup eating away the real Joke Machines value; they're not intended for the same market.

I also recently received Rohby's backups and can say without hesitation that they are beautiful. I would pay the 50 just for all the accessories that came with it. (Srike canon, THREE heads (1a, 1s, and 1j) three fastpacks, arm armor, leg armor, gunpod, clear canopy, minmei figure and Tanmen figure *whew* i think thats it haha... So in a way, it was like I got the joke machines for free :D I agree with TheLonewolf in that the recasts are purely for customization, and I would definitely continue to collect originals, so Rohby's recast did not affect me personally, but I do believe however that he made it possible for a whole lot of people to get their hands on them though :lol: so i guess what I'm rambling about is.. no it didn't affect me, and thank you Rohby for the GREAT JM's... *sigh* now i gotta get back in the end of the line to get more hehe

I don't think it has really affected my Joke Machine Plans. I got 5 of Rohby's backups to add to the 2 Jokes I had. I bought Rohbys strictly for customization. Gotta save the originals for play purposes. Once I'm finished my collection will include:

1 Roy 1S orig

1 Max 1J TV orig

1 Ostrich (backup)

1 Elint (backup)

1 Milla 1J orig

1 Max 1A/J/S DYRL super/strike (backup)

1 Hiraku 1J/A/S DYRL super/strike (backup)

1 Kenzaki 1A/J/S DYRL super/strike (backup)

1 set of GBP armor that's almost complete.

Might see if I can get a couple of more Backups for a cannon fodder and a low viz

I'm a Joke NUT. I'd rather have a joke than most of the yamato stuff.

I agree with everyone in stating Rohby's backups are just that. I think a true Macross fan would not want to pass up the chance to get a JM if they could, but a backup could never replace an original. I used to have a JM when I was a kid, a MAX, And not thinking I could ever have paid the 150 they were going for I decided on a Rohby JM. BUt now that I see I may be able to get one completed (I wouldn't have to paint or what not) perhaps that would have been better for me personally... but the allure of making my own valk definitely has it's plusses and the accessories pack.. can't get that outside of Rohby.

So hat's off to you Rohby. I have 2.. and they are superb!

:Dat

I don't think the backups can ever take the place of the original... but... how many people are buying them instead just for customizing. As the little extras can assure, the back ups are made to be customized. Also, a lot of people would buy loose JMs just to get a part or armor they need. Why go thru the hassle when the recasts are readily available? Maybe you can't replace moveable parts with resin but the extras are well worth it and just as good... plus you get the clear canopy, which is a lot better than the original brown ones...