Aircraft VS super thread!

Another NATF concept.

Actually I believe that this was one of Lockheed's proposals for the AF/X program, which was a search for a replacement for teh failed A-12 program. It was based heavily off the F-22N (hence teh resemblance to the NATF) but it was larger and used non-afterburning versions of the F119.

After seeing pictures of the Super Hornet (or not so super... ), I fell in love with the plane enough to warrant a small model. A 1:72 scale model. I settled on an Italiari kit. Short story, AVOID! The intakes alone will drive you insane. Luckly, I'm willing to put up with the poor fit on the intakes (jewler's files come in very handy here), as so far, they're the only problem on the kit (fit wise).

Should have sprung for a Hasegawa F-18E...

Think I should do it up in a CF-18 scheme? Sort of a "what if" concept.

As for that 1:72 Raptor I picked up last summer... Well, let's just say, I'm really pissed at the weapon bay doors. Pissed enough that I don't want to touch the kit just yet.

Fit is the least of the Italeri Super Hornet's problems. It's not even accurate for a development Super Hornet, much less a production one. It's got about 1/2 of the changes from a C to an E. Yes, it's bigger, has square intakes and reshaped LERX's, but almost all of the little things are missing. From the pylons to the spoilers to the airbrake to the vents to the IFF antenna.

Lets hope the dragon super hornet is more accurate..though considering the way things are going now...lol...yes let us truly hope!!

Any of you anticipating the new FOV 1/72 and 1/32 warbirds? The 1/72s have swap gear but the 1/32s have retractable!! And they will be in target so it might be considerably cheaper than ordering online!! I want me some 1/32s!! I hop they make a corsair and shinden in that scale

Fit is the least of the Italeri Super Hornet's problems.  It's not even accurate for a development Super Hornet, much less a production one.  It's got about 1/2 of the changes from a C to an E.  Yes, it's bigger, has square intakes and reshaped LERX's, but almost all of the little things are missing.  From the pylons to the spoilers to the airbrake to the vents to the IFF antenna.

Could you make a list? I wouldn't mind the extra challange.

I already know about the airbrake inbetween the rudder that shouldn't be there, but what else should be removed, added or modified?

Failing a list, a nice walkaround would be very useful (if anything, for ideas).

Edit: I've seen a few at aircraftresourcecenter.com, and while they're good, they're more for weathering, and a nice schematic view of the plane would be great...

Edited by VF-19

From what I can remember:

1. Eliminate the LEX flaps (inboard of the inboard LE flaps). Don't exist on production models.

2. There's several large vents and very obvious external plates in the area that the airbrake used to occupy. And they don't match left/right. Merely filling in the airbrake outline is only 1/4 of the job.

3. IFF antenna on the nose. Part of the reason the nickname Rhino came about. (It looks a Rhino with the horn cut off, leaving only a stump)

4. Pylons. Need to be repositioned, angled, and possibly re-shaped.

5. Wingtip rails. Depends on what squadron you're doing. VFA-115, 14, 41, and 102 (maybe 27 as well?) have the early type. All others have the later type. Don't know what the Italeri kit's look like, but I'm sure it's not the later type.

6. I believe the drop tanks are too short.

7. Cockpit---I'm not big on cockpits, but it seems 90% of modelers spend 99% of their time and effort here. And an inaccurate representation of a test plane isn't very similar to a production one.

8. I just plain don't like the nozzles. Too curved, F110-esque. Or late F-18C/D style, when the F-18E/F actually looks more like A/B nozzles.

Attached pic: where the airbrake used to be.

Thanks for the list. Perhaps I should dry fit the entire kit and put a picture up, so you can rail italiari for the inaccuracies (and give me some visual cues).

Hopefully I can have a picture up tonight, if I don't get bogged down by other stuff.

Found some more Dragon F-14 pics, found another change they made!

NACA gun vents! Yet another "it was right, now it's wrong" thing. That's not automatically wrong for an F-14A, just most of them, and all of VF-111.

Well, actually more like "clicked on higher-res versions of pics I'd already glanced at". Sorry. Mainly the same pics from FlyingMule.com. (FlyingMule always has the best pics---they take their own, and they use the actual final released versions, not samples)

Flashbacks to a rather annoying AFDS mission:

web_050311-N-1539M-002.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=23796

as for this idea....they're gonna need a REALLY big transport, the Herc ain't big enough....

Nah. The Super Bug will only be short some parts of the wing. It'll fit.

:D:lol::D

looks dangerous! The air inside the hercules is different then the air outside.

Wonder if the fighter shoots right through the hercules if its inside. Since there is no air resistance inside. :blink:

Edited by Kin

Well, actually more like "clicked on higher-res versions of pics I'd already glanced at". Sorry. Mainly the same pics from FlyingMule.com. (FlyingMule always has the best pics---they take their own, and they use the actual final released versions, not samples)

You're starting to get me convinced that the guys at Dragon working on F-14 kits are really some sort of monkey species... lol...

as for this idea....they're gonna need a REALLY big transport, the Herc ain't big enough....

Wonder if the fighter shoots right through the hercules if its inside. Since there is no air resistance inside. :blink:

I'll like to see a pilot who thinks he/she could. He/She won't be allowed near any plane as long as he/she lives.

Edited by Zentrandude

You don't seriosuly think that an F/A-18 could land in the back of a Herc do you?

also would suck for the 2 guys in it.

guy in the right: OH snap hes going to park his bug in here.

guy in the left: so you want to cut the rope and jump off or get suck into the engine?

guy in the right: nah lets throw our boots at the intakes and teach this crack pilot a lesson.

guy in the left: but I like my boots. I just broke them in.

Edited by Zentrandude

heh so many things we can put there.

guy on the right: hmm blue and gold doesn't hide the plane well into the enviroment.

guy on the left: guess thats what we get for having a painter crew thats color blind.

• 2 weeks later...

You know I usually don;t say this about low-vix schemes, but on the crusader that is just sexy, and just makes it look like a shark.

Edited by Knight26

F-8 fighters had some pretty neat high viz schemes. The SUPER gator, now that looked AWESOME! TOTALLY beautiful and definitely more aggressive and dangerous looking in comparison to the phantom. I hear that the phantom was sluggish or heavy and that the super gator felt pretty good to fly. And I am not sure on this but different sites say it would have guns but others say strictly sparrow. Who knows. I add that to the list of "airplanes that got canned but should have flown in place of the planes chosen in favor of them:"

F-14D

F-20

YF-17

A-12

YF-23

F-8U3 Crusader III

I totally forgot about the low viz sader reconers. Last I saw was on discovery wings when it was being flown out to andrews for the last flight in 97.

A sundowner sader in low viz with bright or fade white shark mouths would look AWESOME!

If anything hopefully matchbox makes some 1/72 saders. A super crusader diecast would be AWESOME!

yeah those are RF-8G Photosaders with the small F-8A radome. Would be nice to see big-nose D/E models in the grey scheme as well.

The only low-vis fighter saders i know of are those operated by the PAF's Bulldog squadron. I believe one variation of the scheme had wrap around patterns. Shin probably knows more about this.

Shin have ever you seen the PAF F-8H on display at Air Force City/Clark ? If you have is it still there ?

As for the Supergator i think the production version might have had 20mm hispano type guns installed rather than M39 revolver guns as used by USAF fighters. The prototypes certainly didn't have guns installed. Missiles armament is a bit odd that only 3 Sparrows are carried though the quartet of Sidewinders are retained.

With 3 sparrows it only has 1 less missle than the phantom. Plus we all know how thte sparrow did in vietnam.

I actually never saw the PAF Crusaders in person just online @ARCh and such. One of the members just built a wrap around blue camo 1/72 F-8. At ACIG last I heard was that the PAF was operating F-5s and retired their F-8s. Not sure for the reasoning but I dunno.

F-8 vs F-5E.

1 dedicated fighter the other a light weight cheap fighter. Compare!

I saw the sader might have a good speed advantage and would have to use the vertical to defeat it.

Also.

F-8 vs F-20

just for plain interest.

A-7F/G vs F-8

A slimmed down afterburning corsair vs the plane it was based on.

Shin

The PAF Freedom Fighters were operating before the arrival of the F-8H. There even plans to operate them off smaller islands using a catapult and arrestor system but that never achieve fruition. Supposedly they fell into disrepair due to corruption of the regime at that time.

F-8 vs F-5E

The 20mm Mk15 hispano type guns of the crusader have a slightly heftier punch than the M39 of the Tiger II but less accurate and reliable. So the F-8 would still be relying on its 4 Sidewinders.

The F-5E has the advantage in agility, turn and roll. Overall better than the F-8 IMO.

F-20 vs F-8

Not a fair comparison i suppose since the F-20 has the late model Sparrow and was likely to get Amraam.

F-8 vs Super Sluf

F-8 i guess since the A-7F is quite heavier and not optimised for A-A.