New Macross Products news

angolz

meh. Like I said before. I am not getting it. And now that we know it is not truly transformable, I stick with my decision. Sure I can live with the legs like the 1/60 but no, not all this replacing here and there. If I decide to get it, I will get it CHEAP. As for the VB-6, I will wait and see as well. I want to get it but it depends how much is it truly transformable rather than part placing.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt Yamato is going to go for a larger scale if this one doesn't sell. All they are going to see is people not interested in a Macross Zero line. We all know how ambitious and expensive a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-0 would be (it would almost be the size of a 1/55 or 1/48)... they will NOT dive into such an expensive project as a perfect transformation, large-scale toy until they've seen people bite the hook.

Admittedly I was wrong about the konig monster before... but it would follow every bad business rule I've ever seen for them to release a 1/100 version, no one buy it, so they release a larger one instead. Think about it.

I doubt that. This is yamato we are talking about here. It takes a year to design toys and by the time the first 1/60 hit I am sure the 1/48 was already being designed. Yamato made their mark starting with perfect vqariable toys and will probably end the same way as well. To be honest....

I am beginning to think yamato really doesn't care for this toy. I mean look at it. Cheap price but its like a kaiyodo. We all know with yamato its either perfect variable or MINIMAL part swap. with this its like a puzzle. I bet they passed this onto a newbie design team and are saving all their resources for a bigger perfect variable. I mean look at it. Do you think yamato cares for this toy? I am beginning to think they don't.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt Yamato is going to go for a larger scale if this one doesn't sell. All they are going to see is people not interested in a Macross Zero line. We all know how ambitious and expensive a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-0 would be (it would almost be the size of a 1/55 or 1/48)... they will NOT dive into such an expensive project as a perfect transformation, large-scale toy until they've seen people bite the hook.

Admittedly I was wrong about the konig monster before... but it would follow every bad business rule I've ever seen for them to release a 1/100 version, no one buy it, so they release a larger one instead. Think about it.

Well, you'd think sales of the 1/48 already proved to them how well larger more detailed (read: higher quality) toys sell.

For some asinine reason they decide to test the waters yet again with this sad excuse for a toy. From the looks of it, this thing has got almost nothing going for it. First of all, it's not truly transformable, it's mix-and-match but still woefully out of proportion, for having absolutely 0 metal content it's surprisingly expensive and after Yamato's successful venture into larger toys, the VF-0 is comparatively smaller in size, ambition and quality.

If Yamato decides not to make a larger version of this, then oh well.

My $40 is better spent elsewhere.

It looks to me like the size of the balljoints on the battroid nosecone preclude Yamato from making the large hip sockets any smaller.

I'm afraid that they might be a permanent fixture. :(

The size of one corresponds to the other, so unless they make the balljoints smaller, then we won't see any revision.

In addition, I'm not sure if Yamato chose the smallest possible size balljoint, which will not promote a weak joint.

I disagree. It should be easily possible to shorten the hip shafts and have the ball joints located entirely inside the intake area, thus eliminating those ugly external sockets.

If you look here at this custom battroid mode conversion of the Hasegawa VF-0S model, you can see what a good job they did on the hip joints. Even with the intakes positioned so close to the nose, the kit can still adopt a spread-legged stance.

Graham

On the anime VF-0 in fighter mode, the hands do not retract into the forearms like the VF-1, but are instead supposed to slot into the bottom of the backpack (those of you who have the Hasegawa VF-0S will know what I mean).

However, looking at these latest pictures of the Yamato 1/100 VF-0S toy, it looks like there is not enough space for the hands in fighter mode, so I'm guessing they have to be removed in fighter mode.

Sigh.........yet more parts to remove. :(

Graham

And I'm also getting seriously worried that we haven't seen the leg FAST packs or wing missiles yet.

Graham

I was kind of curious about that too...From the looks of it, looks like Yamato is almost implying they're going to make some kind of "weapons package" later on much like what Hasegawa did with the 1/72 VF-1 kits which is really shitty since they PROMISED missles and leg fastpacks long before we even saw any pictures of the current prototype!! :angry:

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

At least the wings have attachment points for missiles.

But what really worries me is that there dosen't seem to be any attachment points for the leg FAST packs, unless they are going to be held on by magnets :lol:

Graham

I also noticed that the knee articulation in gerwalk mode is very restricted, wich means it won't make a good gerwalk for posing or display pourposes. The detail is great, but that's not good enough for me. I'm a perfect transformation geek and I can't stand those hips.

But don't worry, Yamato. I'm so getting the K-Monster!!

It looks like the 1/100 VF-0S has mid-calf rotation points just like the 1/60 VF-1, which should allow for a slightly better Gerwalk mode.

Graham

OOOOoooook.... :huh:<_<

Many of you know I´ve been an advocate of this toy until now mainly because I had hopes the design would be good enough by itself so swappable legs would be a minor issue but....

Is this some kind of a joke ?

I know some people here buy almost every single one of their products but do they really think we´re stupid enough to buy such an improvised design ?

I´ve seen far better gashapon toys elsewhere....

the thing going for it is the headsculpt but I ain´t paying 40 for this thing.

If they had promoted this toy as a prepainted model kit earlier with Yamato´s firts Macross toy releases , kinda like in the times of toycom M+ toys , I would´ve concidered buying it , but now ?

to Yamato: guys , if you wanna sell M0 toys look at what just a few fan modelers made with Hasegawa´s kit. Now that´s what a VF-0 look like :angry:

I bet they passed this onto a newbie design team and are saving all their resources for a bigger perfect variable. I mean look at it. Do you think yamato cares for this toy? I am beginning to think they don't.

I'm begining to think you are right about this being passed onto a newbie design team with little sculpting experience.

While from certain angles the toy looks OK, there are IMO so many areas that are just poorly sculpted and not accurate to what little CG art and lineart has been published so far of the VF-0S.

Here's a list of where I think the sculpt is poor: -

• Inaccurate wing shape.
  • Hip area (intakes) too large.
  • Ugly, too large ball joint sockets on the hips.
  • Inaccurate tail fin shape.
  • Tail fins not canted outwards enough.
  • Innacurate cockpit and nose area sculpt.
  • Poorly sculpted, ugly landing gear.

Graham

I bet they passed this onto a newbie design team and are saving all their resources for a bigger perfect variable.  I mean look at it.  Do you think yamato cares for this toy?  I am beginning to think they don't.

I'm begining to think you are right about this being passed onto a newbie design team with little sculpting experience.

While from certain angles the toy looks OK, there are IMO so many areas that are just poorly sculpted and not accurate to what little CG art and lineart has been published so far of the VF-0S.

Here's a list of where I think the sculpt is poor: -

• Inaccurate wing shape. /True
  • Hip area (intakes) too large./Very True
  • Ugly, too large ball joint sockets on the hips./True
  • Inaccurate tail fin shape./not that bad
  • Tail fins not canted outwards enough./True
  • Innacurate cockpit and nose area sculpt.VERY True
  • Poorly sculpted, ugly landing gear.True

Graham

;)

I can't believe Yamato plans to use this thing as a guage for people's interest in M0 toys, they seem like they'd have more business sense than that. Most of the people that have been buying Yamato's top-shelf Macross pieces aren't going to want to add this scrappy thing to their collection.

It seems to suggest that Yamato has little interest in or respect for Macross 0, and that they have no hope for Macross 0 toys. In order to lure people into something you need to wow them, not present them with some pile of pieces that doesn't even look that great when it's finally assembled. The most insulting thing is that Kawamori made it so easy for a 'perfect transformation' toy of the VF-0 to be made by putting swing bars into the animation. Yamato thanks him by making a valk that has to be completely dismantled and then rebuilt. <_<

I'm still holding onto hope that some other company will embrace Macross 0 and give it the quality line of toys that it deserves. Hell, I'd even take a gander at what Toynami could come up with. At least their VF-0 would have swing bars. :p

Edited by eriku

I might grab Focker's and Shin's, if they're really cheap...but more than likely I'll pass. If it was only swapping the legs, I'd be more inclined to grab them, still only if they were cheap, but this just isn't looking that great. Too small, innacurate sculpt, cheaply made, and it doesn't even transform properly.

I mean, I'd like to have a couple just for variety (I have 18 Valks, 13 of wich are VF-1 toys), but I don't want to waste my money on a toy that looks like it might only be a little better than a Banpresto.

If they are really, really cheap, then I might nab one or two...but I'm pretty skeptical. I'd really rather pay more for a larger, fully transformable toy with a more accurate sculpt.

I can't believe Yamato plans to use this thing as a guage for people's interest in M0 toys, they seem like they'd have more business sense than that.

That's only fan speculation, we don't know if it's true.

Graham

Ahhh, how quickly fan speculation translates into 'fact'. thanks for clearing that up!

Now if only the Dismantle & Swap transformation were fan specualtion as well!

Too small, innacurate sculpt, cheaply made, and it doesn't even transform properly.

The 1/100 VF-0S is not really small.

Back in the good old days when Yamato were still willing to share information, they did say that it is nearly the same height as the VF-11B battroid.

Graham

I'm still hoping that the final product will have Tampo printed Skulls on the tails and heatshield and Tampo printed UN Spacy emblems on the wing and nose.

The VF-0S toy is gonna suck even more if the markings are supplied as Yamato's typical low-quality, ultra-thick stickers :(

Considering that the 1/100 VF-0S is most often compared to a Gundam Fix Figuration (GFF) figure and the GFFs come absolutely covered with Tampo printed markings, it's not too unreasonable to expect this is it?

I mean some GFFs such as the RX-178 Super Gundam, Task Force Alpha Ex-S and the Nu Gundam HWS retail for ¥4,500 which is similar to the expected retail price for the 1/100 VF-0S.

Mind you, Bandai probably sells at least a hundred thousand (or more) of each GFF, so they can afford to Tampo print on more markings. As fan response to the 1/100 VF-0S seems very poor both in Japan and overseas, I doubt Yamato are going to sell that many 1/100 VF-0S, unless they pull their thumb out and do a major resculpt pronto. It's gonna flop big time if they try to sell it 'as is'.

I've always been very supportive of Yamato and they've done some great toys in the past. IMO, the sculpt of the 1/48 VF-1 and FPs and the 1/60 Q-Rau are nearly flawless, but this 1/100 VF-0S is just unbelievably bad. It's such a pity, as in the last year I've really come to love the VF-0.

Graham

well, I don't mind the swaping as much, but the fact that it does not look good on any form is a no sale for me. I mean how am i suppose to dsiplay it, if it doesn't look good in Figther, Battloid, and gerwalk mode. I'll be better off with a Hasegawa no transform versions.

well, I don't mind the swaping as much, but the fact that it does not look good on any form is a no sale for me. I mean how am i suppose to dsiplay it, if it doesn't look good in Figther, Battloid, and gerwalk mode. I'll be better off with a Hasegawa no transform versions.

Agreed, the parts swapping doesn't bother me too much, but it really doesn't have a single mode that it really looks great in :(

Graham

I say scrap the line entirely after the VF-0S 1/100 comes out, tempt fans witha shadow image of a perfect variable, release a full blown resin proto gallery by septermber, and have a big ass perfect variable ready by x mas. By then macross 0 will be done and perhaps plans for a movie condensed version could be made. At that point fans would be hungry for something and yea it would be worth the weight.

I now think that the team who started sculpting the votoms kits switched places with tthe guys who are supposed to do a perfect variable VF-0. But since the votom basically dissapeared from the minds of many fans yamato switched the teams and decided"ah yes let us let this expert team sculpt that big ass soldier mecha first then sculpt our perfect variable later.and let them improve this sculpt over them darn newbies., then let tbhe newbies screw up the VF-0S 1/100 kuz yes it does indeed the suck."

IF the quality of these is below that of gundam fix(HOLY CRAP I JUST NOTICED EVEN THE ZETA PLUS GUNDAM FIX SENTINEL REQUIRES LESS PART SWAP TO TRANSFORM GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY NOW IM REAL PISSED) and without tamnpo, then this will suck.

somehow a bandai VF-0 with HUGE abnormallyu large swqingbars is more appealing than this thing. HOnestly. I can see it now.

and if the yammie dont come with missles or fast packs, then its ugly as hell. missles would have saved it.

we shouild have a contest

"whos gonna lose their VF-0 parts first"? LOL I guess we find out the winner when we get craploads of part requests due to losing them itty bitty thangs.

Given the lack of updates to the sculpt that were priomised, I would venture to say there will be no tampo printing as feared. We will have to deal with the thick ass stickers.

This is clearly not the work of the dude that is making the VB-6. He would laugh at this guy (guys).

Even Toynami could make a better VF-0 than this. This is a truly half-assed effort, and I'm afraid it's sales will reflect that.

Yamato gauging Macrtoss Zero interest based on this is stupid, because they cannot be oblivious to the fact that fans have been eager for M0 mecha, and were clearly disappointed when this was anounced, yet remained optimistic. Now all the fears associated with this are coming to pass.

If and when this tanks hopefully they will relalize it's time to go back to the formula that works, and also fire this design team, because they suck.

Like I said earlier, there is no reason a 1/100 VF-0 should have turned out like this.

Dollars = Elsewhere.

I have a 1/60 GBP armor, SoP Kaneda's Bike, Mahoro Sports Bike PVC statue, and maybe a Lacus statue from Hobby Fan to buy this summer. I could handle saving 40 bucks to go towards one of those.

I'm just not satisfied with the look of the quality of this VF-0 yammie. I want a Macross Zero product as much as the next Macross fan, but I'm just not willing to settle for the weak effort this latest product from Yamato is shaping up to look like. Trial and error has already been done by Yamato on a bunch of like designs, so I see no reason why this VF-0 shouldn't be an improvement over their previous work.

I'll save my money for more 1/48's and other Macross merchandise.

IF the quality of these is below that of gundam fix(HOLY CRAP I JUST NOTICED EVEN THE ZETA PLUS GUNDAM FIX SENTINEL REQUIRES LESS PART SWAP TO TRANSFORM GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY NOW IM REAL PISSED) and without tamnpo, then this will suck. 

somehow a bandai VF-0 with HUGE abnormallyu large swqingbars is more appealing than this thing.  HOnestly.  I can see it now.

we shouild have a contest

"whos gonna lose their VF-0 parts first"?  LOL I guess we find out the winner when we get craploads of part requests due to losing them itty bitty thangs.

LOL.....yeah it's true Bandai's design team did an amazing job with getting the Z-Plus GFF to transform with so little parts removal, although transformation is a bit fiddly and the toy is quite fragile IMO.

Yeah, at this stage I agree a Bandai 1/55 VF-0S Chunky Monkey with big chrome swing bars does sound strangely appealing :D

I don't think people loosing parts is going to be a real problem with the VF-0S though. I mean how can you loose parts when nobody is going to buy the damn toy in the first place :lol:

But seriously, I remember way back before the 1/60 VF-1 came out, people were bitching and moaning about how they'd loose the nose plug, spare hands, backpack antenna etc, but in the end it wasn't really a problem.

I think most people, myself included will just keep the parts in little plastic bags. Heck my GFFs have so many parts, that I have a whole drawer full of little plastic bags containing nothing but GFF option parts :D

Graham

damn it. I love the VF-0 design but this toy really dont do it justice it deserves. I wonder what the hell happened to flex nishikawa san. After turning up the 1/48 I know graham mentioned he was no longetr designing the fast packs for it since he was slow and some other dude was. SInce nishikawa takes histime and churns out a great product(its obvious he didnt even touch this sculpt) I think it would be wise for yamato to lock him in a cave in isolation for 6 months and churn a VF-=0 perfect variable by him for x mas release.

this 1/100 has many things working against it. here are a few

1-parts swap is decent but THAT many parts? Recent gundam FIX got less part swaps. Even the notorious zeta based zeta plus got less and we all know how beast the transformation on anyh zeta is hard to get down right.

2-the front gear. What the hell. BIlly wong sculpted more beter proportioned gear on the first yammie YF19!

3-THe aesthetics in general. Sure its decent but flawed. MPC has a better profile in fighter mode than this thing with its high ass landing gear that can impale roy during a heavy landing.

Yamato seems to be doing some more PVC, ideon comes to mind. perhaps the same team designed that as well. Compared to what usual;ly copmes out from yamato, this sculpt seems real amaturish.

Let alone I wonder, would kawamori even approve this before release? And if he DID, good god man what the f*** happened?

*edit. With this many small parts I think a tacklebox might work too*

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

looking at all the cost-saving efforts Yamato has made in recent months ;I think that the most probable thing that happened with this toy was that Yamato put the QC guys in charge of the design of the toy instead of a proper designer :lol:

Not only will it be ugly and complicated , it will probably also be full of QC problems cause the guys in charge of that will be celebrating the ¨success¨ of their design somewhere else :lol:

They should hire Hasegawa custom VF-0 battroid modelers to do this toy , it´s just a shame it´s too late.

You know what´s trully sad ? the fact that now that Yamato has no ears for their customers they won´t even notice how much of a disappointment this means to their customers. :(

Edited by Aegis!

The hip joint was always a problem, since the early days of the Taka era :rolleyes:

Even if you look closely to the animation, the artists have problem drawing it, let alone making it into a toy. A good example is the PS2 Mac game, ever noticed whenever the valk transforms from fighter to gerwalk or battroid there is a slight blackout on the hip part?

:blink:

One of the problems with doing a proper perfect variable VF-0 toy, is that so far there is no official lineart from Kawamori of the complete transformation sequence to use as a reference. In fact so far, there is very little lineart at all. Even Hasegawa have guessed about a lot of the details.

Although episode # 1 does show part of the transformation sequence, there is not really enough information there for toy designers to be sure of getting it correct.

And realistically, there is no way that the swing bars on a toy would be strong enough if they were as thin as they are shown in the anime.

Also, a lot of people here on Macrossworld incorrectly assume that Yamato has access to the 3D computer models to help with designing the toy. To my understanding, they don't.

Graham