Modelling Putty Question

HG Blows

Just a quick question bout modelling putty. I bought some squadron white putty, and the stuff dried up in the tube before I could even use it. The hobby store guy said that the stuff doesnt last that long after you open it the first time. Is this true for all putty's? I especially wanna know for tamiya putty cus I just bought some, but havent had time to use it yet. Thanks in advance.

The way that I get it to last longer and work it better is....

#1 squeeze out some into a resealable small container, I use little plastic paint jars I get at the art store for 19 cents each

#2 thin it a little with acetone, this also makes it easier to brush on and keeps your hands off the stuff.

#3 put the cap on tight and throw the tube in a zip lock bag.

hope this helps......

I have a few putty questions myself...

I picked up the Gundam Scratchbuild Manual yesterday, and I notice that they often use a brown colored polyester putty that comes in a can. Is there any american product like this? All I've been able to find is the tubed green Tamiya kind.

Also, is there a good domestic brand of epoxy putty? I can only find the little Tamiya packages, in which you hardly get any putty at all.

I have been using Squadron...(mainly because I can't find Tamiya or Milliput anywhere...) I have had my tube for about a year...and it has not dried up....I always squeeze a little out when I am going to use it and then cap it tightly...no problems....I wonder if your hobby store had it in stock for a long long time.

hey, i use this stuff called plastic padding, it's got a yellow package, it is basically same stuff as everything else, comes in 2 parts, the cementy/mankstuff and then the hardener, u mix em up at about er... 5 parts cement to 1 part hardener, or somthing like that, depends how quick you want it to dry up heh. then before it hardens, whack it on ya model, then after about 15 mins ish or when ever u sand and smooth it out

it's okish for cracks, exept sometimes the edges turn up if it hasnt gotten onto the model enough and flakes off when you are smoothing out. also it's not the best for scribing either heh, thinking about it actually i might stop using it and find something else hehe

-Tage

• 2 weeks later...
hey, i use this stuff called plastic padding, it's got a yellow package, it is basically same stuff as everything else, comes in 2 parts, the cementy/mankstuff and then the hardener, u mix em up at about er... 5 parts cement to 1 part hardener, or somthing like that, depends how quick you want it to dry up heh. then before it hardens, whack it on ya model, then after about 15 mins ish or when ever u sand and smooth it out

it's okish for cracks, exept sometimes the edges turn up if it hasnt gotten onto the model enough and flakes off when you are smoothing out. also it's not the best for scribing either heh, thinking about it actually i might stop using it and find something else hehe

-Tage

Thanks Tage, that was really, er, not that helpful, heh

I picked up the Gundam Scratchbuild Manual yesterday, and I notice that they often use a brown colored polyester putty that comes in a can. Is there any american product like this? All I've been able to find is the tubed green Tamiya kind.

Also, is there a good domestic brand of epoxy putty? I can only find the little Tamiya packages, in which you hardly get any putty at all.

you can find polyester putties - as kanata so eloquently put it - under the brand name of bondo in the US. Bondo is an automotive body filler, and is wonderful, yet toxic stuff. You can find several varieties of Bondo at your local automotive center (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) - they are sold in pint, quart, and gallon containers, and unless you have a HUGE modeling job, or go through many many kits rather quickly, the pint container will last forever (I've had mine for 1.5 years so far). I use the Ultimate Premium Lightweight filler, and it's beautiful stuff - sands like a dream, can be easily carved, holds it's shape, and dries within half an hour. The main issue with Bondo is it's toxicity - you should use it in a well ventilated area, and unless you are really careful, should wear rubber gloves (I go so far as to wear a respirator too - not only for when I'm applying it, but also for when i'm sanding it - I really need to work on a down draft table). Other stuff I will use, is usually super glue, or epoxy - if I need something to be structuraly, and don't need to sand it too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried a lot of different putties and have found the Aves Apoxie to work the best. It has a fine grain, but doesn't cure as hard as A&B, it's finer then milliput and thins well with alcohol. Plus, you get lots of working time to shape before it even starts to cure. With practise epoxy putties can pretty much eliminate your need to sand.

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/ELEP.html

Here's Erin's sheet from 2002 Wfest with more info.

http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_...xie_sculpt.html

This is the putty product, the clay is much thicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Mcbride,

Can you read japanese? If not, once you've gotten to mess with it a while, can you post a review of the Gundam Scratch Build Manual. It looks interesting, but I can see where it would also be worthless if you can't read the language.

SpaceCowboy

I'm using Testor's contour putty. It is just one tube, but I'm not sure it ever really dries. I let some dry overnight, and the putty is hard, but I can break it off the model. I'm not sure that the seam is filled with the putty or just being sanded down by removing the putty. So I tried sanding another piece without applying the putty and it came out just as smooth. So I figure I must be doing something wrong.

After all the sanding though, I'm thinking of moving to Mr. Surfacer if I can clean up seams without all that sanding.

SpaceCowboy